The Stax Thread III
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #14,194 of 25,567
Congrats, Ross!

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #14,196 of 25,567
They call that 'endgame', right. :laughing:

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #14,197 of 25,567
What does the SMD stand for?

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #14,199 of 25,567
Oh cool, I didn't know he had gotten to that point with his KGSSHV project.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #14,203 of 25,567
Hahahaha you have a valid point there, Mulveling! Have been through the want phase many a time but age has made me more practical...i no longer harbour for "moar" but seem "less is better" nowadays :) Then again, if a decently priced used BHSE comes along...well... :p

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #14,204 of 25,567
WHEN has any of this been about need? I passed way beyond the point-of-no-return years ago, lol. The 007 does make for an excellent pairing with Mjolnir's KGSShv minis.
Right on. None of us need $2k headphones and amps lol. But the gear part of audiophiledom is something so visceral that appeals to humans' desire to always want more and never stop; it's truly addicting. Philosophizing aside, what more do I have to gain from going from my modded T1 to a cheap(er) Mjolnir amp, or something along the likes of it? I feel like I'm way past the point of diminishing marginal returns, but who knows, maybe some of you claim to have heard a revolution in the sr007's sound with an upgrade like that.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #14,205 of 25,567
Right on. None of us need $2k headphones and amps lol. But the gear part of audiophiledom is something so visceral that appeals to humans' desire to always want more and never stop; it's truly addicting. Philosophizing aside, what more do I have to gain from going from my modded T1 to a cheap(er) Mjolnir amp, or something along the likes of it? I feel like I'm way past the point of diminishing marginal returns, but who knows, maybe some of you claim to have heard a revolution in the sr007's sound with an upgrade like that.

To my ears right now on day 2 of 727ii I'll tell ya don't think I will be upgrading my amplifier. Yes yes heresy I know, but my UNMODDED 727ii sounds like audio perfection - I can't ask for more. Obviously new toy syndrome etc but it feels as if this time is different. And I don't think its my wallet performing mind control on me. It sounds awesome. I don't know how many people who have had extensive time with 007 mk1 & 727ii combo but I don't agree with what I have been reading.

Now, considering modded T1 is supposedly a clear step up from an unmodded 727ii.... I mean, as you say, we are way past the point of diminishing returns. I personally don't care about diminishing returns in that I think its worth it if its worth it to you and the sound upgrade is necessary in your ear... But for me.. I feel content and happy now. I feel that I have always made compromises with my headphones. Not this time. This is my sound. While I 100% believe that BHSE/Carbon etc is a direct and clear upgrade from my current amp, I do not deem it necessary nor do I believe that it will transform the 007s into something they are not.. - and I wouldn't want it to anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back