The Stax Thread III
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #14,206 of 25,491
AudioThief, in all honesty, a DAC upgrade would be more useful for your system than any amp upgrade if you wanted to really max its potential. While not a bad DAC, the Modi multi-bit is the weakest link of your system right now. A better DAC would be recommended if you ever get the itch to upgrade something. You don't have to spend a great fortune either there are excellent options out there between $500-$1000 that are MUCH better than a Modi multi-bit.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #14,207 of 25,491
AudioThief, in all honesty, a DAC upgrade would be more useful for your system than any amp upgrade if you wanted to really max its potential. While not a bad DAC, the Modi multi-bit is the weakest link of your system right now. A better DAC would be recommended if you ever get the itch to upgrade something. You don't have to spend a great fortune either there are excellent options out there between $500-$1000 that are MUCH better than a Modi multi-bit.

You seem to be implying I am not already starting to stake out higher level DACs :) Not to derail the discussion but what DACs would you recommend? I am unlikely to spend more than 1500$ on a DAC I think, used or new.

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #14,208 of 25,491
You seem to be implying I am not already starting to stake out higher level DACs :) Not to derail the discussion but what DACs would you recommend? I am unlikely to spend more than 1500$ on a DAC I think, used or new.
I was literally about to ask about DAC's when I saw this. And funny thing is, I have the Modi Multibit, too. @VRacer-111 what differences can you hear between a lesser DAC such as mine and a ~$500 one?

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #14,209 of 25,491
I was literally about to ask about DAC's when I saw this. And funny thing is, I have the Modi Multibit, too. @VRacer-111 what differences can you hear between a lesser DAC such as mine and a ~$500 one?

Indeed. I am quite happy with my modi multibit and I found it a big upgrade over my previous dragonfly red. I think I will stick to the R2R/multibit camp going forward, measurements be damned.

By the way, I want to mention something which has followed me in my audio journey...

Sometimes, when you upgrade your equipment, you "unlock" a certain ability to render certain tracks... Now, some tracks are more demanding than others, and some tracks are beyond saving. I'll give an example.

When I got into high fidelity audio a year ago, I was jamming out big time to Tycho's album Epoch. I was loving it, but at some point my critical listening skills improved, and I could hear that it was a tad bit too muddy with my denon ah-d5000 some months later. When I got the TH 900, the muddiness was gone and I had very crisp and clear rendition of the tracks, which was great. However, once I got my HD650s, I noticed a flaw in my TH 900 - the lack of mids and overbearing high end made the track less balanced albeit still enjoyable ( and obviously the hd650 is much more laid back overall).

Now when I got Stax SR-L300, of course all this changed and Stax took almost every song I had any issue with and turned it into audio perfection - with a few but consistent flaws. Most notably the L300 was my first headphone to truly manage Carpenter Bruts "Roller Mobster". TH 900 got close, but the L300 was the only one that could truly keep up.

But there was one song which my headphones could never handle. This track always turned into sibilant ear rape no matter what. But now, with my Stax SR-007 and SRM 727, I can enjoy it to its fullest. The track I am talking about is Preludes/ book 1. ll.117:2 voiles, a live recording performed by pianist Krystian Zimerman (composed by Claude Debussy). For those of you familiar with the song, there is a famous part where the piano plays a dramatic breakdown. This, on all setups, has been very unclear, harsh, shimmering, even downright painful. But I am happy to say that my current setup plays it perfectly, and I can finally enjoy this beautiful rendition of the track to its fullest.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else have similar experiences.. I have of course many more tracks I could mention, but oftentimes its more a question of taking something which was good and turning it into something which is absolutely great - not directly "saving" the track so to speak.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #14,210 of 25,491
Indeed. I am quite happy with my modi multibit and I found it a big upgrade over my previous dragonfly red. I think I will stick to the R2R/multibit camp going forward, measurements be damned.

By the way, I want to mention something which has followed me in my audio journey...

Sometimes, when you upgrade your equipment, you "unlock" a certain ability to render certain tracks... Now, some tracks are more demanding than others, and some tracks are beyond saving. I'll give an example.

When I got into high fidelity audio a year ago, I was jamming out big time to Tycho's album Epoch. I was loving it, but at some point my critical listening skills improved, and I could hear that it was a tad bit too muddy with my denon ah-d5000 some months later. When I got the TH 900, the muddiness was gone and I had very crisp and clear rendition of the tracks, which was great. However, once I got my HD650s, I noticed a flaw in my TH 900 - the lack of mids and overbearing high end made the track less balanced albeit still enjoyable ( and obviously the hd650 is much more laid back overall).

Now when I got Stax SR-L300, of course all this changed and Stax took almost every song I had any issue with and turned it into audio perfection - with a few but consistent flaws. Most notably the L300 was my first headphone to truly manage Carpenter Bruts "Roller Mobster". TH 900 got close, but the L300 was the only one that could truly keep up.

But there was one song which my headphones could never handle. This track always turned into sibilant ear rape no matter what. But now, with my Stax SR-007 and SRM 727, I can enjoy it to its fullest. The track I am talking about is Preludes/ book 1. ll.117:2 voiles, a live recording performed by pianist Krystian Zimerman (composed by Claude Debussy). For those of you familiar with the song, there is a famous part where the piano plays a dramatic breakdown. This, on all setups, has been very unclear, harsh, shimmering, even downright painful. But I am happy to say that my current setup plays it perfectly, and I can finally enjoy this beautiful rendition of the track to its fullest.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else have similar experiences.. I have of course many more tracks I could mention, but oftentimes its more a question of taking something which was the and turning it into something which is absolutely great - not directly "saving" the track so to speak.
I studied Voiles in my intro music class last semester! And I have a song like that that was quite sibilant before I got the SR007. This: The constant snare and hi hat sounds echoing were brutal on HD800's, and LC2's didn't capture the ambience of the song.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #14,211 of 25,491
Excuse me for the lame pun, but all this Phenomenon/Perun/Mrspeakers/anything electrostatic that isn't Stax talk reminds me of a Jamiroquai song, "Shillness in time"

"There’s a shillness in time
Which I cannot define
Does your heart bleed like mine
Oh, does your heart yearn
For a place we can go where the
Troubles of our time are far away
Hey, they are so far away

And I had all my life in front of me
Now my darkest days are trouble free
There are so many wondrous things for you to see

If you find that something’s going wrong
Look around at what you’re running from
You can wait a thousand years in line
For that shillness in time"

lol don't punish jamiroquai for this ok?

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #14,212 of 25,491

I had a Schiit Bifrost (4490AKM) version, and while it was a little better than my Dragonfly Red in regards to detail and bass extension, it just did not mesh well with my expectations, music never sounded right with it. Very sterile/flat sounding compared to the DFR on my modded Gustard H10 amp and modded TH-X00PHs - the DFR is clearer with better dynamics and body. Then I found a great deal on a used Gustard X20U DAC for just over $500... a DAC which I wanted to try based on everything I read and my experience with the Gustard H10 amp.

Well I'll say this about the X20, it's much closer to YGGY level based of the YGGYs I've heard than to the Bifrost/DFR end of things - way far over to the YGGY side. Far, far surpasses the Bifrost and DFR in ever manner - clearer sounding, better extension on both ends of the spectrum, much better BASS body/impact, much better detail especially with regards to intonation of instrument and vocals, the highs are very energetic and precise yet not fatiguing, and the speed/dynamics are noticeably improved. Two things that really stand out in the forefront are the improvement in clarity/details and its dynamics - it's an entirely different level of DAC compared to those other two. And the sound is much more full bodied, clear, and natural sounding compared the Bifrost which was cold/sterile and overall just "off" sounding.

And though I don't have experience with it, I know a few in this thread do - the Holo Audio Spring DAC for $1500, YGGY contender for $1k less...

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #14,216 of 25,491
And upgrade your amp.
As I said, I dont think I will :) either the 727 are crininally underrated or my ears are garbage, but I dont feel the need to.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #14,217 of 25,491
The 007A post 2015 version is much better than the older MK2s, pretty much everyone that has had both agree there (even at the bully forum). It does some things really well and is forgiving (at last a Stax HP that isn't too 'lit up' or tizzy. But IMO the 009 does other inciting things better as well, speed, transparency, controlled bass with more texture and detail in the bass. The 007A is my preference in the end with my own Stax journey overall. If only Stax could merge the 2 HPs together somehow? Is it even possible? It will be interesting to hear how the Mr Speaker new electrostatic unit fair as that is supposed to be a middle way between the 007 and 009. Lets wait for folk on here to do the leg work. Don't rate magazine reviews anymore, not with any weight....

IMO there is no holy grail HP I have heard to date, even the HE-1. But that got closest to my perceived summit of head-fi so far, had great body and weight, slightly warm (which I like), not a detail freak HP, just super natural and smooth yet still dynamic and correct levels of detail to my ears and preferences. It affected me more than I realised....

Not heard a T2 yet, or the Abyss, or the new MrSpeakers.....

I would love Stax to come back with another top HP to throw a spanner in the works. I remember the frenzy of the 009's launch and Tyll saying it was the worlds best HP....
The new Stax amp was a major disappointment, and seemed way overpriced, just an incremental movement forward. I wonder on that amp if they were scared to have tubes out the top? It seemed a halfway house design, certainly sonically it was.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #14,218 of 25,491
Will anyone be at CanJam today - particularly at the Woo Audio booth?
I am new to the Stax train and was there yesterday demoing the Lamda's. They had the new black 353 anniversary amp and a 300/500 and eventually a 700. The rep told me the 300 was the new anniversary addition. I forgot to look for the gold emblem which would indicate so.

I am leery about what he told me as he did not seem that familiar with things. When asked how much the anniversary amplifier was he said "about $2000". I got home to find out that was obviously wrong. Even though he had the 353 black amplifier and the new portable amplifier I am under the impression the 300 anniversary cans are not here yet - so most likely I was listening to a regular 300?? My demo also led me to believe they were not the anniversary ones as they sounded the worst of the bunch - and the same as a second 300 he had there.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #14,220 of 25,491
Will anyone be at CanJam today - particularly at the Woo Audio booth?
... The rep told me the 300 was the new anniversary addition. I forgot to look for the gold emblem which would indicate so.

Yes, that was the L300 anniversary, which has the L700 driver.

When asked how much the anniversary amplifier was he said "about $2000". I got home to find out that was obviously wrong. Even though he had the 353 black amplifier and the new portable amplifier I am under the impression the 300 anniversary cans are not here yet - so most likely I was listening to a regular 300?? My demo also led me to believe they were not the anniversary ones as they sounded the worst of the bunch - and the same as a second 300 he had there.

Not sure who you spoke to, but I always find Jack Woo to be friendly and well informed. I think they were giving you the package price (ie for both the amp and the headphones), which is something around $1700. Yes, it was an actual L300 Anniversary. Woo is a STAX dealer and has close ties to STAX, so they can get products early for shows, etc.

Spoke to Jack a bit about the new STAX battery powered DAC/amp. Sounded much better than I expected with the L700. Not sure I have a use for it, but I kind of want one anyway. No final price, but he estimated $700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back