The Stax Thread III
Feb 15, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #14,161 of 25,487
Would anyone be able to suggest a DAC here? I have an Odac O2 combo I'm using right now with my 252s + L700 but I really need to switch to a dedicated dac in the next, let's say, week or so if possible.

Sterile and non-coloring is what I'm looking for (so that I can hear the tone of the l700 and the 252s most accurately). My current Target is the OlDac by JDS Labs. However, something with a newer chip would be awesome.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #14,163 of 25,487
Could some kind members help me compare the L-700 to the SR-009. Maybe there is a Link where someone trustworthy has done that.
I am between the two and would like to purchase.
Thanks and regards !

The response is likely going to be dependent on what amp you plan to use.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #14,164 of 25,487
The response is likely going to be dependent on what amp you plan to use.

To start with I would have to use the King Sound M-03 portable amplifier and towards the second half of this year, get a fixed STAX amp - any amp suggestions for these Headphones ? Budget for the amp, $2K

I am not bass heavy...prefer crisp & clear trebles.

Thank you for your help !!

Best

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #14,171 of 25,487
At about 1k less than the yggy, the level 1 holo audio spring dac looks like a good deal.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #14,172 of 25,487
I recently got an old ECP Audio mX DAC from Purk, and like it slightly better than the v1 Yggdrasil. In fact I sold my Yggy. Its DAC chip is mundane (Ti or Wolfson modules, swap-able), but the analog stage is superior. Uses Lundahl output transformers. It's slightly warmer, sweeter sounding than Yggy. Costs a lot less, too. Unfortunately ECP DACs are rare as hens teeth. But if you ever see one - highly recommended!

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #14,174 of 25,487
Why does @purk always have good stuff! Lol
Yep I got my BHSE from him too, lol.

The Yggy was slightly better in overall speed/detail, but I just ended up liking the ECP better. It sounds more analog, despite the delta-sigma DAC chips. I've been falling in love again with my BHSE/009 all anew, now with the ECP and Amarra 4 Luxe (still kinda buggy and kludgey, but getting there - I hated Audirvana). The newness on the Focal Utopias wore off quick, though they're still nice headphones, but they're no Stax. And now I'm owner of one of the most ridiculous cost differentials between my digital and analog sources. Here's my analog (speakers only for now):
kaZCa7G.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #14,175 of 25,487
Let's put some context here...
I own a 252s and would be flying this DAC around with me with my setup as I work for different employers and companies. Sadly that's limits size and weight.

I know a USB powered Dac can only do me so well, so I'm alright with a externally powered one. Something like the Pro Ject Pre Box S2 (if anyone has one and can measure it please let me know - there's no graphs anywhere online)

I currently own an ODAC but it is up for sale. So that's the sort of price, size, and feature range I'm looking into. Oh and I don't plan to listen to DSD in the near to mid future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back