The Stax Thread III
Sep 6, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #12,845 of 25,487
If you had a choice between sr 007 and sr 009 which would you choose and why?

This is an easy one to answer IMO. If you have a smooth sounding DAC (it really does need a top DAC) then the 009s. Otherwise go for the 007. It does enough right and is more forgiving of the source. The amp used is also important, as the 007 is hungry (lazy) and needs lots of juice, the 009 is more efficient but IMO sound thin and bright on the Stax amps.

Hope this helps

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #12,846 of 25,487

Silly but personal experience with both: With Carbon, I would choose 009 because I prefer it :)

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #12,848 of 25,487
Elusive Disc list them but they are out of stock, might drop them and email to see if they are or will order them.

I would check Woo Audio for you but they keep coming up as a dangerous site for me in Norton. :triportsad:

Amazon also lists them but from Japan and for a lot more $$.
Side question - I need to buy two Stax CPC-1 covers however cannot find any place Stateside. Short of eBay from Japan any suggestions?

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #12,849 of 25,487
Spoke with Elusive- since USA Stax is out of business (?) they are not expecting any in.
Woo only had one not two

Sounds like eBay and Japan

Sep 7, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #12,850 of 25,487
If you like softish / veiled sound with duck-like tone, murky bass, one-note highs with a peak around 8-10 khz and most of all you're sensitive to mafia's hype train, get 007. Otherwise get 009 :D

More seriously, I do acknowledge 009 have some flaws, mostly a 1-2 khz hyped-up tone which depends on amps (but very well controlled out of BHSE / Carbon / whatever KG serious amping), as well as 007 have a kinda of magic to some ears that fall immediately in love with them.

I've never found this magic as I find them dull and boring, and with something annoying in the highs. Moreover, the bass can't compete with 009, it's just less controlled and not even to same level in quantity. The only things I could borrow from 007 for my 009 are soundstage, a bit wider / better with 007, and look (from 007mk2) as well as headband system.

Those feelings jumped at me almost right away after I buy them, but I've kept them until the arrival of my BHSE, hoping some serious waking up. Indeed, BHSE wakes them up, but so did it with 009 and all my other Staxens (SR-5 and Sigma Pro out of BHSE, pure treat).

I ended up selling my 007mk1 after listening to @n3rdling clones, showing me what a less "artificially energetic" than 009 tone has to sound, perfectly right and leaving definitely 007 and their fake-laid-back-tone-which-pretends-to-be-right in the dust.

So best advice is to try. You may be one of those who are sensitive to this specific 007 magic I've never found :wink:

Ali

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #12,851 of 25,487
Thnx to those who replied.
One last question.

Which of the two benefits best from a tube amplifier?

Thnx.

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #12,853 of 25,487
I want to buy 009 new and i have found a nice deal importing from Japan, but as usual the warranty will not cover UK. Has anyone else imported them from Japan? Some insight, suggestions will be appreciated.
This is also a well covered topic which you probably can find here. IMHO search for the most recent case of channel imbalance and start from there. If one hasn't been reported for months (or this year), then the risk is likely lower.

I've helped an overseas friend sort out a channel imbalance and all up the shipping back 'n forth alone ended up around the $350-$400 mark. No charges to the channel imbalance repair naturally as that part was under local Japanese warranty.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #12,854 of 25,487
Thnx to those who replied.
One last question.

Which of the two benefits best from a tube amplifier?

Thnx.
There's no real "generic tube sound" in the world of e-stat amps. It depends on the design and also on where tubes sit within it. And you can't compare it with edyn habits.

For example, Stax "historic" amps (007t2, 006ts, T1) have transistor first stages and tube outputs, very mellow mids, and a severe lack of steam for 007. KGST is a "fixed" 007t2, with regulated PS and moar power on tap. T8000 has tube inputs and SS outputs, but sounds more or less like a 717 (SS) despite the tubes.
BHSE has SS fist stages and tubes output, and sounds absolutely not tube-ish even if mids are mellower than SS KG circuits

You also have rarities like T2 (hybrid as well) or Megatron (full tubes), but it's all over risky to write a generic rules of "tube sound" for e-stat amps.

Looking back at your 007 vs. 009 question, you also have to compare 007mk2 to 007mk1. The latter are more praised all around and have more technicalities to my ears, but mk2 have less annoying peak in the highs, and the low-mids bump due to the leaky design adds some enjoyment to the 007 slipper's behaviour (comfy but flabby)

Ali

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #12,855 of 25,487
If you like softish / veiled sound with duck-like tone, murky bass, one-note highs with a peak around 8-10 khz and most of all you're sensitive to mafia's hype train, get 007. Otherwise get 009 :D
Ali

Ha Ha, like it Ali-Pacha. I thought that but didn't dare say it! Yes the 007 is good, very good, but after hearing the 009s and even the Utopia, you realise it is coloured. It is a great fix for a sharpish digital front end (many modern DS DACs TBH) but ultimately is an EQ'd HP as I was commenting on earlier. If someone goes all out to find a super smooth DAC free from digital nasties, then the 009 is the open door to heaven and the way to go. If not, go for the 'EQ' 007.

I have found the circa > 2015 007 is as good as the MK1, maybe bit livelier, so as though Stax tweaked it a bit? The cluster of circa < 2015 MK2s out their that sound sluggish and lumpy are the ones to avoid IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back