The Stax Thread III
Sep 4, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #12,812 of 25,558
Welcome to a money black hole (SR-007), it just keeps getting better with better gear, like it has no limits, I had planned to change my car to a better one, but decided to keep my old car for a year, and max out the 007 setup...don't take that route :o2smile:

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #12,813 of 25,558
Let's just say Carbon and G
Welcome to a money black hole (SR-007), it just keeps getting better with better gear, like it has no limits, I had planned to change my car to a better one, but decided to keep my old car for a of year, and max out the 007 setup...don't take that route :o2smile:
lol, whatever you like better = worth it to compromise for

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #12,815 of 25,558
why should that comment be of special importance in context of everything else he states? I'm sure he is happy about getting a Carbon for free, but the in-fidelity review most of all reflect that he didn't really bother to do a proper review

Actually, he is not getting a Carbon for free. "Still, I'm not sure I can afford this amp...I haven't decided if I'll break the news to Mary that I have to have it, nor whether she'll approve of this expenditure." And elsewhere, he says bought the Dynalo Mk II.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #12,817 of 25,558
Exactly. Bob and Tyll are considered experts, and their opinions are heeded by many thousands of high-end headphone enthusiasts. It's almost like they should, I dunno, maybe keep a reference electrostatic headphone rig on hand :rolling_eyes:
Nah, it's crazy for reviewers to keep a reference. Just plug this stuff into whatever crap is on hand.

Well, now, let's think about this for a minute. I imagine Tyll gets non-electrostatic headphones monthly for review, so it makes sense for him to buy a "reference" amp to test those. OTOH, how often does he get electrostatic headphones for review? Last time was a couple years ago. Yes, there are a couple coming up: Mr. Speakers, HFM, maybe n3rdling's Orpheus clones if he ever decides to make them a commercial product. The Sennheiser HE-1 and Sonoma don't count because they have dedicated amps. It is less sensible for him to buy an amp that he MAY need to use every few years for testing, which is probably why spritzer gave him one - because he wasn't going to buy one on his own. It would be great if Justin could do the same with a BHSE but considering HeadAmp's profit margins, not very feasible. And the problem with DIY amps, regardless of how good they are, is, only a small fraction of potential buyers is going to have access, or going to build, one, so how do you make sense of a review that uses an amp that most people have never heard and can't get? And that's even without getting into the issue of which DIY version of which amplifier? For the KGSSHV, for example, do you want the mini version with KGBH PS, or a maxi with Golden reference HVPS. What about the LV - Golden Reference or 7815/7915 basic PS? Let's face it, the stat headphone market is a small sliver of the audiophile market, which is a small slice of the overall headphone market (Beats, anyone?).

Now, Bob isn't a reviewer per se, he is a mastering engineer who sometimes uses headphones for his job, and occasionally does a review as a sideline. If he gets a "reference" amp, it is because he needs one for his job, not because he is going to be reviewing a bunch of headphones. IIRC, before he had a KGSS and SR-007 Mk II, he used a Stax SRA-12S (one of their first solid state amps from the 1970s) with Stax SR-3 and SR-5 headphones, also from the 1970s, which tells you how often he replaces amps and headphones.

So, yeah, in a perfect reviewing world, Tyll and Bob would have reference electrostatic headphone amps. And as long as we're at it, I want a pony for Christmas. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #12,818 of 25,558
Well, now, let's think about this for a minute. I imagine Tyll gets non-electrostatic headphones monthly for review, so it makes sense for him to buy a "reference" amp to test those. OTOH, how often does he get electrostatic headphones for review? Last time was a couple years ago. Yes, there are a couple coming up: Mr. Speakers, HFM, maybe n3rdling's Orpheus clones if he ever decides to make them a commercial product. The Sennheiser HE-1 and Sonoma don't count because they have dedicated amps. It is less sensible for him to buy an amp that he MAY need to use every few years for testing, which is probably why spritzer gave him one - because he wasn't going to buy one on his own. It would be great if Justin could do the same with a BHSE but considering HeadAmp's profit margins, not very feasible. And the problem with DIY amps, regardless of how good they are, is, only a small fraction of potential buyers is going to have access, or going to build, one, so how do you make sense of a review that uses an amp that most people have never heard and can't get? And that's even without getting into the issue of which DIY version of which amplifier? For the KGSSHV, for example, do you want the mini version with KGBH PS, or a maxi with Golden reference HVPS. What about the LV - Golden Reference or 7815/7915 basic PS? Let's face it, the stat headphone market is a small sliver of the audiophile market, which is a small slice of the overall headphone market (Beats, anyone?).

Now, Bob isn't a reviewer per se, he is a mastering engineer who sometimes uses headphones for his job, and occasionally does a review as a sideline. If he gets a "reference" amp, it is because he needs one for his job, not because he is going to be reviewing a bunch of headphones. IIRC, before he had a KGSS and SR-007 Mk II, he used a Stax SRA-12S (one of their first solid state amps from the 1970s) with Stax SR-3 and SR-5 headphones, also from the 1970s, which tells you how often he replaces amps and headphones.

So, yeah, in a perfect reviewing world, Tyll and Bob would have reference electrostatic headphone amps. And as long as we're at it, I want a pony for Christmas. :smile_phones:

So, yeah, now, let's think about this for a minute: "WHY" comes to mind; WHY post a review that is obviously just a rehash of what Spritzer has stated for the past two years? WHY post a review of something Bob Katz 'might' have bought if Bob Katz doesn't has anything to say about it? WHY have a 'corner' if it isn't of any particular interest? ....and Tyll, is of course excused, as he is probably busy doing review's of Massdrop stuff. WHY talk about DIY, when the thing in question isn't DIY but a product?
Why you want a pony, not sure, being your age, I'd probably go for a horse..

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #12,819 of 25,558
Wow, you're grumpy today! Chill out, go listen to some music. Remember, not everybody has been reading spritzer for the past few years. Not everybody knows about Mjolnir Audio. Katz's blog may be the first they are hearing about the KGSS Carbon.

The pony was a joke. JOKE! Sheesh.

Sep 5, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #12,820 of 25,558
Yeah. Not everynody trolls around the different Forums.
For some, Head-Fi is the be-all and end-all for things headphone related. (poor benighted souls, they be).

As for a pony, gimme a moose.... so much more character............. And, no, I am NOT Canadian.

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #12,821 of 25,558
Hi All, Just got onto this thread and find it very interesting.

I have a query and if someone could offer an explanation I would be grateful and is as follows:-
Since the day of purchase of my SR 009s I noticed that when positioned on my head, if I press the earcups just lightly inwards I get a noise like a fart (only way I can explain it) on both earcups.
The dealer immediately had them replaced only to find they did the same also. As both pairs played impeccably it was agreed that to see how things went over time.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it normal and if so why?.

Thanks all

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #12,822 of 25,558
11202012042041.jpg

Stax fart is a well known aspect of those headphones. If you're not trolling, I may suggest to find another dealer as yours is maybe the most stupidly incompetent in Stax's stuff...

Ali

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #12,823 of 25,558
Yes the famous Stax fart is complety normal and mentioned many times in this thread (particularly for the SR-009 and SR-007 Mk1). It's something to do with sudden air pressure change when the perfectly sealed pads suddenly lose their seal. When Stax tried to remove the issue with the SR-007 Mk2 by introducing a small air gap, most users complained that it spoiled sound quality, so there's various DIY fixes with blutak etc to block up the air gap.
In short, don't worry about it and stop pressing the earcups :) (or moving your head suddenly)

Edit: Ali beat me to it. I've come across dealers not aware of the Stax fart. They're not necessarily stupid, just don't share the same passion in headphones as some of us. Most dealers are still heavily loudspeaker focused.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #12,825 of 25,558
Let's bump this thread a bit :)
I know that headband on 009 doesn't look good and it is prone to cracks so i was thinking about something similar to MrSpeakers's memory wire,NiTinol.That probably will improve the comfort and certainly will last much longer.How hard will it be do add such a headband to Stax009?
Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back