The Stax Thread III
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #12,797 of 25,592
Soren, would u say the Mjolnir Carbon to be warm and tube like in sound? From bits and pieces I've read here and there, it seems he prefers a brighter tonality to match the 007s. I could be wrong though..

Agree. My summary of the Carbon is fast, transparent and wide soundstage with great depth and layering, superb bass speed. I got my warm fix by loading my front end with a warm DAC. When I say warm DAC my DAC 5 is smooth and organic as NOS and tubed. It is warm I guess compared to many DS DACs I have demoed, but I don't lack any detail or speed, it is more about timbre and lack of any fatigue.

Thus I would look at the front end and tube roll your DAC, and / or look at the way you feed it. I got rid of my last bit of 'digital hash' finally by dropping USB and tweaking up my Mac Mini and adding LPS's to the Mac Mini and Rednet. Hope this helps. PM me if you want, I can try explain more.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #12,798 of 25,592
Thanks Soren and Julian...i guessed as much - KG and Birgir prefer neutral sounding amps but having said that, Birgir prefers the 007 so i suppose he prefers musicality to outright neutrality..

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #12,799 of 25,592
How does the Phenomenon Canorum compare to N3rdling's Orpheus Clone considering that they both have very similar shape and design?
because i'm probably the only owner of the new Canorum with the latest driver version 2 and i guess new owners will report in some weeks,it's too early to say anything how it compares to Orpheus clone etc..One of Canorum features is that you are taken in to music in such a way that you forget to analyze how it sounds:).

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #12,800 of 25,592
Thanks Soren and Julian...i guessed as much - KG and Birgir prefer neutral sounding amps but having said that, Birgir prefers the 007 so i suppose he prefers musicality to outright neutrality..

Birgir feels the 007 (Mk II with port mod) IS neutral and the 009 is bright. Same with Bob Katz (well, he feels it's much closer than the 009). Same with Tyll. And me (through an SRX-Plus). Obviously, not everyone agrees. :) This is an old argument that will never be settled (unless Stax comes out with an SR-010 which everyone agrees supersedes both).

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #12,806 of 25,592
Canorum on head picture, i cannot comment the sound yet,the seller said i have to run these couple of days before making reviews.A small issue is that drivers make some hiss noise and hope it disappers at some point.These appear warmer than Libratum wich i heard at some point

modelgiantheadphones-jpeg.223763
1580-huge-headphones1.jpg

literally

Sep 3, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #12,807 of 25,592
Spritzer sent Tyll a 'special' KGSS 3 years ago https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...n-electrostatic-headphone-measurement-program to be used for reference.
Also, Bob had a KGSS from Headamp (put of for sale recently).
Anyways, the "report" is just a badly done compilation of various Spritzer statements throughout the past two years about the Carbon and the SR-007 - blended with some of the usual Katz EQ'ing.

Well, not entirely. He does make a comment about the KGSS, "which has a slightly etched high end and gets harsh on peaks," that I hadn't seen stated quite so explicitly in the past.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #12,808 of 25,592
Well, not entirely. He does make a comment about the KGSS, "which has a slightly etched high end and gets harsh on peaks," that I hadn't seen stated quite so explicitly in the past.
why should that comment be of special importance in context of everything else he states? I'm sure he is happy about getting a Carbon for free, but the in-fidelity review most of all reflect that he didn't really bother to do a proper review

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #12,809 of 25,592
Has anyone made a custom EQ curve for the Stax SR009? There's a ton of them for the HD800 but it seems hard to find anyone who has done any custom EQ curves for the 009.

I personally boost lows below 700Hz by about 3-4 db, and decrease the 4k by 2db and raise 6k by 2db, but wonder what other people are doing to EQ their 009s. It seems like the L700 has a much flatter treble than the 009 which requires some work to be neutral.

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #12,810 of 25,592
IMG_0916.JPG
Some posts back discussed: kingstone m3 as a portable energizer amp and need for a better DAC. Here my solution to the puzzle: stax srm 252 w batteries, sr007/2 and hugo2 as a DAC. This sounds really good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back