The Stax Thread III
Jul 27, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #12,482 of 25,522
Just received my L700s -- they sound fabulous right out of the box! It doesn't get a lot of love anymore, but my SRM-007t drives them wonderfully!

Any comments on break-in time?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #12,484 of 25,522
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #12,486 of 25,522
In my humble opinion , the L700 offer a very decent soundstage. Maybe not on par with 007's one but still much better than previous Lambda Generation and almost all lambdas I heard ( only exception could be the Lambda Signature ) . Still in my opinion, the L700 is nott on par with Omegas in term of refinement, resolution and in term of bass extension.

I much prefered L700 presentation ( which is well proportionned with a good sense of depth and Layering and still the airy nature which is a family trait) to K701's one . I always heard K701's soundstage as weird : huge witdth, somewhat forward due to the mid bumb and almost divised in 3 blobs ( left - center - right) .

I don't think you'll be disappointed by the L700. :)

Well, that sounds great!

Thank you.

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #12,487 of 25,522
I won't say which Electrostatic amp stand said it, but I was chatting to them about my 009 failure last year, and they immediately claimed the KG and BHSE amps push too much voltage and that's why they 'break' the 009s. I didn't reply to that, but IMO they seemed annoyed if anything about the 'other' amps for Stax HPs. One guy even said BHSE, what's that? And it was a few stands away from his stand! Hmm, maybe they are annoyed because they sound better?

all my amps have the same protection resistors as all of the stax amps, and none of them exceed the voltage swing of the stax T2.

complete nonsense

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #12,488 of 25,522
all my amps have the same protection resistors as all of the stax amps, and none of them exceed the voltage swing of the stax T2.

complete nonsense

Pretty much what I thought. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #12,489 of 25,522
Just received my L700s -- they sound fabulous right out of the box! It doesn't get a lot of love anymore, but my SRM-007t drives them wonderfully!

Any comments on break-in time?
Stax drivers don't need break-in. At all. I've broken in 2 brand new pairs of 009 and a brand-new L700; no change in sound. The pad condition can (and will) affect the sound over time, though.

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #12,490 of 25,522
I won't say which Electrostatic amp stand said it, but I was chatting to them about my 009 failure last year, and they immediately claimed the KG and BHSE amps push too much voltage and that's why they 'break' the 009s. I didn't reply to that, but IMO they seemed annoyed if anything about the 'other' amps for Stax HPs. One guy even said BHSE, what's that? And it was a few stands away from his stand! Hmm, maybe they are annoyed because they sound better?

Which stand and whom?

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #12,491 of 25,522
Trilogy Audio was showcasing their garbage and also displaying their utter incompetence. Not surprising.

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #12,492 of 25,522
Trilogy Audio was showcasing their garbage and also displaying their utter incompetence. Not surprising.

But, but, but... HI-FI+ said Trilogy had:
"a completely clean sheet, creating an all-valve, zero feedback, fully differential design with a direct coupled output stage. The H1 features high transconductance valves throughout.... The H1 is also one of the first designs not to simply go for high voltage output, thereby potentially creating micro-tears in the stator membrane. In listening tests, both AS and CM felt this is a paradigm shift in performance for the Stax SR-009."

Surely they couldn't be wrong :^):face_palm:

Now from a technical point of view, valves is OK, zero feedback is questionable at such high gains (problems with stabilization), fully differential is fine, direct coupled output stage implies cap coupling somewhere, which is pretty much unavoidable with tubes, and stator membrane is just total gobbledy-gook. The stator is supposed to be stationary, hence "stator" and the membrane is (presumably) the movable diaphragm. Two completely different parts of the headphone, which suggests that the writers transferred the tech spiel directly from the manufacturer's literature to the page without passing it through the brain. Not to mention, has anyone demonstrated the presence of these micro tears reportedly due to high voltage?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #12,495 of 25,522
I haven't tried this yet because I don't want to harm either of my amps, and currently I don't have another XLR cable to do so…but has anyone owning both the GS-Xmk2 & BHSE ever used the XLR preamp outputs from the mk2 into the BHSE? If so, would their be any benefits to using the mk2 as a preamp for the BHSE in regards to SQ or any other advantages or disadvantages for that matter?
Thanks!

Did you try adding the pre?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back