The Stax Thread III
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #12,467 of 25,534
It's not just what people are asking for them, it's what they are actually selling for. Used BHSEs sell at close to their new price. WES doesn't.

Plus it is striking to look at every single time you lay eye on it. Damn...I miss my old BHSE!

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #12,468 of 25,534
Plus it is striking to look at every single time you lay eye on it. Damn...I miss my old BHSE!
Purk, you can buy it back, I don't really use it that much...
Syke! :wink:

The upcoming new Headmp tube amp will be awesome, but so far I prefer the classy/sleek look of the silver-faceplate BHSE. And wait time for any new amp will be a killer. That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if I went for it at some point in the future. Curiosity is a killer, and with my strong preference for the 009, and complete aversion to 5-figure digital sources, I really have nowhere else to go for my headphone rig.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #12,469 of 25,534
Purk, you can buy it back, I don't really use it that much...
Syke! :wink:

The upcoming new Headmp tube amp will be awesome, but so far I prefer the classy/sleek look of the silver-faceplate BHSE. And wait time for any new amp will be a killer. That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if I went for it at some point in the future. Curiosity is a killer, and with my strong preference for the 009, and complete aversion to 5-figure digital sources, I really have nowhere else to go for my headphone rig.

That is nothing, it can only get worse from here and not better :)

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #12,470 of 25,534
....The upcoming new Headmp tube amp will be awesome..

Peter from HeadAmp told me that, with the SR009, the new "all tube" Amp improves the bass significantly. I guess he did not only mean more bass, but also better quality bass !

As of today, I can't imagine how the bass can be even better than with my BHSE... We will see ! :beyersmile:

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #12,471 of 25,534
Peter from HeadAmp told me that, with the SR009, the new "all tube" Amp improves the bass significantly. I guess he did not only mean more bass, but also better quality bass !

As of today, I can't imagine how the bass can be even better than with my BHSE... We will see ! :beyersmile:

I won't say which Electrostatic amp stand said it, but I was chatting to them about my 009 failure last year, and they immediately claimed the KG and BHSE amps push too much voltage and that's why they 'break' the 009s. I didn't reply to that, but IMO they seemed annoyed if anything about the 'other' amps for Stax HPs. One guy even said BHSE, what's that? And it was a few stands away from his stand! Hmm, maybe they are annoyed because they sound better?

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #12,472 of 25,534
I won't say which Electrostatic amp stand said it, but I was chatting to them about my 009 failure last year, and they immediately claimed the KG and BHSE amps push too much voltage and that's why they 'break' the 009s. I didn't reply to that, but IMO they seemed annoyed if anything about the 'other' amps for Stax HPs. One guy even said BHSE, what's that? And it was a few stands away from his stand! Hmm, maybe they are annoyed because they sound better?

You have no ideas how many "dealers" are "annoyed" by KG amplifiers....you know why :). I respect people a lot, but when something is obvious....I just leave it be

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #12,474 of 25,534
I planning to buy a L700 earspeaker + SRM-323X amplifier in a near future, but have a few concerns regarding their sound qualities...

As far as I read, seems that the L700s tend to excel in almost every audible aspect, on pair with current TOTL headphones or above, except maybe in soundstage, which is my main concern.

I listen a lot of classic music, jazz, and other instrumental stuff, as well as other vocal generes, so it's important for my that they've a good sense of imaging and separation, as well as a decent soundstage, perhaps no so massive as the HD800 though.

My reference point was my ex-K701, so I need to know how the Staxs compares against the AKGs in that regard...

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #12,475 of 25,534
In my humble opinion , the L700 offer a very decent soundstage. Maybe not on par with 007's one but still much better than previous Lambda Generation and almost all lambdas I heard ( only exception could be the Lambda Signature ) . Still in my opinion, the L700 is nott on par with Omegas in term of refinement, resolution and in term of bass extension.

I much prefered L700 presentation ( which is well proportionned with a good sense of depth and Layering and still the airy nature which is a family trait) to K701's one . I always heard K701's soundstage as weird : huge witdth, somewhat forward due to the mid bumb and almost divised in 3 blobs ( left - center - right) .

I don't think you'll be disappointed by the L700. :)

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #12,477 of 25,534
Will the Bhse price go down after the new headamp is released?
I doubt it, the price for BHSE, if you don't do Fancy Volume pot ($1,000) is reasonable enough to "motivate and encourage" someone to keep on working and producing the Amps. If you want cheaper, may just go DIY, and learn why I just said what I did. Be glad that you can DIY these Amps....I can not imagine if it were patented and mass produced by some companies....the prices would be 3-4x more.

By the way, if making it was easy enough and pricing can be low enough to make profit, you would have already seen China market pouring it out everywhere...flooding it

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #12,479 of 25,534

That is almost certainly BS unless you crank the volume. As Dr. Gilmore and spritzer have mentioned, you could potentially damage the membrane if the signal peak-to-peak exceeds twice the bias voltage. Since Stax Pro earspeakers have a bias voltage of 580 volts, this works out to 1160 volts. Now the BHSE has a gain of 500x specified, so that means if the input signal exceeds 2.32 volts peak-to-peak , or 0.82 volts RMS, you could damage the membrane. A CD player, for example, has a maximum output of 2 volts RMS single-ended, or 4 volts RMS balanced - this is true for most digital sources also. So a level of 0.82 volts RMS corresponded to -8 dB single ended, or -14 dB balanced. For most volume controls, this corresponds to a volume setting of somewhere between 3 o'clock to 1 o'clock. Most people listen with the volume setting around 12 o'clock, give or take. Assuming the above, at that setting it should not be possible for the music signal to cause damage to the membrane.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #12,480 of 25,534

Users who are viewing this thread

Back