The Stax Thread III
Jul 13, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #12,392 of 25,522
Yeah, I do agree that preferences would be the ultimate decisive factor for every one, and why I would always urge them to audition it themselves before deciding to purchase. However, we all agree that it is about time to bust this myth about Stax and bass :) , do we ?

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #12,393 of 25,522
I'm very happy with my 009 low end, but some girls...er audiophiles always want more down there :rolling_eyes:

In the end I couldn't come around to the MDR-R10 because of its poor bass (even the bass "heavy" ones; the bass-light ones were just comical); I've had no such problem with well-amped Stax (especially the 009). Now contrast this to the new $2K+ Sony dynamic, which has too much bass, and doesn't sound very good.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #12,397 of 25,522
We are just too old....LoL!
You talkin' about me too...?

OldRockers.gif

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #12,399 of 25,522
So, here is my end-game trans...portable set-up

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #12,401 of 25,522
So the portable set up is so you can walk around the home with the 009?

Not sure how using the 009 on, for example, a train or airplane, or even walking around a city, is ideal.

No point in walking around with a stack of devices. This is the reason why my walk-around system is simply Wm1z and Utopia

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #12,403 of 25,522
I will post in the Can-Jam page, but here's my thoughts on the 009 v the rest at the show. MY thoughts YMMV.

Can-Jam
My impressions from Saturday on amps and headphones on demo. Sent on Phone so may be some spelling.

My point of reference is my own Stax 009, Carbon amp fed by an Audio Note NOS DAC 5. I am totally open to any system I.e if it sounds great IMO I will say so. I took 3 tracks that I know well- Alex Morphe, Rammstien , Beyoncé as it reduces confusion (for me) and I have points of reference. I got access for 15-20 minutes on each demo. I play quite loud.

Stax 009 + Stax T8000
This is better than my old 717, warmer and smoother, good dynamic nice treble detail. But IMO not better than my KGSSHv Sanyo. It doesn't quite rid the 009 of its sterile nature that has always bugged me on older Stax amps. yes it is better / an improvement but not far enough. so price seems a bit high for the performance.
Note I had to listen to Diana Krall and Peter Gabriel here as no USB port. DAC was Ayre I believe.

Stax 009 + Trilogy Audio Amplifier
This was introduced as a ground up new design with all tube line stage. It sounded better than the T8000 but not by much. Nice enough but not excited yet. I get a wow moment at home on my Carbon. Not hearing that hear. The soundstage is nothing special. Looking in the top grill out has 6 tube set horizontally. It was not as warm as my Carbon on the case / top. Think it costs 5K. Nice to see a UK product, and I wanted to be wowed but not happening.
No USB port so listened to Diana Krall and some Jazz.
DAC was Esoteric K-01

Stax 009 + BHSE
Right there. Wow moment. Full sound, fast, dynamic, kicking bass detail, wide soundstage. Sounds superb played loud and gone is the 009 coldness or slight synthetic character. Could have sat there all day and felt I was in familiar territory to my home system.
Used my music and the DAC was Halo Spring. Happy.

LCD4 + Headamp GSX
Moved immediately to this from BHSE and same DAC. Great dynamics. Kicks harder in the upper bass esp on drums, slightly darker as expected. Very different way to present the music. Less plankton more midrange body. I can't fault these 2 not sure if I am already to converted by Stats, but seriously would like to own both if I had the means. I think the LCD4 is more forgiving than the 009 which will help it fit to more front ends IMO. Anyway very nice, but not selling my 009s.
My tracks used at the HeadAmp stand.

CHORD + Upscaler + LCD4
Talked direct to Mike at this stand! The LCD was fed direct out the DAVE. Good sound here, the DAC is obviously v good. Fast, that wow soundstage of the DAVE. It was clean and not digital or edgy. I found it very close to the Halo and GSX combo. I am unsure if it was any better. The DAVE was at 0db volume,maybe needs a bit more to get the LCD4s to rock.it was loud an ought but senses some compression v the GSX combo. If it was me, I would get the DAVE but allow for an amp on top, at least with these HPs. So came away from that thinking the combo can go better bur obviously that is more money.
I uses my tracks on this.

HiFi Man Shangri-lLa
Got right on this, no wait.
From the LCD4 and CHORD this sounded very different,more like my 009s. immediately noticed it was bright. I can accept this if it is dead smooth in its delivery, but it wasn't. Ignoring the insane cost of this system for a moment and listening to how it sounds only. It is back to a cold and sharp stat sound that reminded me of my early Lambdas. I got through the dance track ok, but into Beyoncé it all got too shrill and distracting. Details are there, decent dynamics and tube midrange from those 300Bs, but it lost IMO many of the strengths I heard on my SET 300B speaker amps I was disappointed TBH. This is or should be best in the game, but I am not hearing it. My tracks and DAC was CHORD DAVE.

Focal Utopia + Felix Audio 4 Tube amp
Wow, this sounds good. Great drive and lots of energy. I immediately liked this system. Lots of detail but linear and smooth, very organic. The dance track was pumping, nothing wrong here. Beyoncé was full and sounded real and placed in the soundstage, no vocal edges or problems. I found I was very relaxed with this setup, and could listen for hours. It had it all there, nothing missing just not false or synthetic sounding. I spoke to the owner and the company is in Poland and is new to selling in the UK. Then I asked how much is the amp, and he said £850. Wow. That is a superb example of top sound for real world money. IMO it beat the Shangri-La on sonics. Sorry about that but I feel I can say IMO that is what I was hearing,
Didn't recognise the DAC but it was sub 2k I believe. I used my tracks.

HE-1
So excited finally to hear this.
Totally personal space and 1 guy operating the T&A CDP big complaint here, I couldn't use my tracks and the scrappy selection of music was very poor. Some were CDRs with no sleeve note. I had to pick 2 tracks by Alannis Moresetti and some Bach orchestral. The HE-1 was obviously very smooth. Soundstage was about the same as my 009. Those tubes are all good IMO, the whole sound was very real and balanced no digital feel or lack of realism. The sound was a diversion from any other top HPs I have heard. It may be a bit slow or thicker than what I am used to, as in fuller body in the mids. I would need to hear more to be sure it can rock and I wonder if it is a bit dark?
Shame Sennheiser didn't allow a USB stick, or at least have more CDs to choose from. So I came away a bit annoyed / deflated TBH. I has no feel to kill my credit card.

Sum up
Great show, loved it. Not too loud for good demos, not too crowded. Even saw Jules. Pity Woo or the Abyss were not there.

So the 009 and BHSE still my favourite at the show and v close to my Carbon / on par. I know it can sound better than at the show with NOS tubes, and maybe even better DAC. I need another go at the HE-1. My first hearing of the LCD4 and Utopia was an eye opener and if I didn't have my 009a would be happy with either of those partnered with a good amp. They do things a bit differently to stats and I wouldn't like to claim which is more real / accurate but TBH I could Live with either.

Anyway my thoughts and probably old news to some here, but hope somebody found it useful.

As a note, I bought the Sony SE MHR5 at the show to use on the train with my iPod. And for 190 quid they are really good. Very light, smooth and great deep bass. Probably best on pop and dance material as not so transparent, but go loud with no harshness. Wish I had heard the TOTL model but ran our of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back