The Stax Thread III
Jul 12, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #12,378 of 25,611
fyi...

Tyll's comment on 007 and 009
The problem I have with the SR-007 and SR-009 is that the 009 is too bright, and the 007 is too rolled off—fireworks or murky water seems the choice. I previously gushed over the 009, but having had the opportunity to listen to them side by side has me preferring the more subdued character of the 007. Even though it's a bit too low in level, I find the 007 treble response more articulate and smooth than the 009.

Such were my thoughts untill Bob showed up.

Bob Katz, world renown mastering engineer, came to Big Sound armed with—among many other things—his personal pair of modified Stax SR-007 headphones. When I plugged them in my jaw dropped—this is what I want to hear from an electrostatic can. Brilliantly articulate and fast, but smooth as a baby's buttocks. The modification he used is fairly simple to implement; instructions can be found in this HeadCase thread. Yes please, I'll take the modified SR-007 all day long.

Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-finale-headphones

and bob's recommended HPs such as LCD and PM3 are very nice HPs IMO.

I'd read it again...it doesn't show preference of the 007 over the 009. I love (and own) both. But I listen to my 009s and Utopias certainly more often.

I find the 009s very picky of your source as well. With a bight source they will sound bright, but get that right and they will reward you for the effort.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #12,379 of 25,611
Also, remember that Tyll first listened to the 009 with a loaner Head-Amp BHSE when he gushed about it; on 2nd listen he only had an inferior electrostatic amp (at least, inferior to the BHSE) and then started backpedaling like Lance Armstrong on reverse steroids. He's gotten pretty good at backpedaling over the years.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #12,380 of 25,611
but mulveling you actually said 009 on BHSE sounded bit bright...lol

1. BHSE (Amperex/Holland EL34 XF4/XF5, RK50 pot); pulling from long memory on this one): More detailed than even the Carbon, but a bit brighter too. Gorgeous tube mids. Insanely good for the 007 Mk I -- this is the asterick on my dislike for that headphone; I REALLY like them when paired with a BHSE. But I still like the 009 better, hah (even if a bit bright in this pairing). I would rate this amp as slightly better overall than my Carbon (but again, from memory).

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #12,382 of 25,611
but mulveling you actually said 009 on BHSE sounded bit bright...lol

1. BHSE (Amperex/Holland EL34 XF4/XF5, RK50 pot); pulling from long memory on this one): More detailed than even the Carbon, but a bit brighter too. Gorgeous tube mids. Insanely good for the 007 Mk I -- this is the asterick on my dislike for that headphone; I REALLY like them when paired with a BHSE. But I still like the 009 better, hah (even if a bit bright in this pairing). I would rate this amp as slightly better overall than my Carbon (but again, from memory).
Sure, fair enough, I used to think the BHSE was slightly bright. Still rated it better than the KGSShv Carbon. That was a long time ago with an NAD M51 as source, and yet still I clearly loved that BHSE/009 pairing. Now I own that same BHSE, with my own quad of Amperex, my own 009, and a Yggdrasil (avoiding the USB input); it's even better now, with absolutely no brightness -- dead neutral. I just end up loving the BHSE/009 more and more with time & ownership, not less.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #12,384 of 25,611
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #12,385 of 25,611
He could have removed SR 009 from his wall of fame IF he didn't like it after reviewing utopia, in Sonoma accoustics electrostatic headphones review, he praised SR 009 again and that big sound event was 2 years ago I guess? It is heavily possible that he has changed his opinion again on 009s and now he likes them. But it is just a theory.

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #12,386 of 25,611
actually Tyll got insulted about he raved 009 before(below link lol) at other site. just he can't cancel what he said before i guess.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-stax-sr-009

Well, Tyll disliked 009, then liked it. I knew many people who had done the same through Stax amps and then moving to KG amps to discover another world with it. The only one who know KG amplifier enough and would prefer modded 007 over 009 is Birgir, and even Kg himself mentioned that 009 is a clear winner. You are entitled to your own opinion and ears ofcourse, but doesn't mean you can try and force it into others.

I love 009, many others and so Stax , hence its is Stax Flagship. The point I would bring up here is that, many people would just keep farting out of their butts about this myth that "Stax has no bass", which is very very dumb

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #12,387 of 25,611
Well, Tyll disliked 009, then liked it. I knew many people who had done the same through Stax amps and then moving to KG amps to discover another world with it. The only one who know KG amplifier enough and would prefer modded 007 over 009 is Birgir, and even Kg himself mentioned that 009 is a clear winner. You are entitled to your own opinion and ears ofcourse, but doesn't mean you can try and force it into others.

I love 009, many others and so Stax , hence its is Stax Flagship. The point I would bring up here is that, many people would just keep farting out of their butts about this myth that "Stax has no bass", which is very very dumb

Agreed, in fact with my current setup with the LL2 (and previous KGSSHV amps), my SR-009s have plenty of bass, but it is neutral and never more than called upon from the recording. Those looking for north of neutral bass better look elsewhere. In fact, they SR-009s have some of the very best quality bass I've heard from any headphone...period.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #12,389 of 25,611
I think most of the people who prefer the 007, specifically the MK1 and MK2.9 port modded, readily acknowledge that others could prefer the 009, but the 009 crowd generally says if you prefer the 007 versions it's only because your source is not up to snuff. I very much disagree and I think that narrative is illogical and newbies to the TOTL Stax's should be aware of the alternative opinion. I currently use a cheap vintage heavily refurbished/modded R2R dac which I think is better than the Yggy, but even with the Yggy I previously owned, I definitely prefer the 007. And the amps I've owned are a maxed out KGSSHV built by Birgir and now a Carbon by a very respected builder.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #12,390 of 25,611

I wouldn't be quite so dogmatic about the 007 vs. 009. At a recent Albuquerque meet where a number of people listened to both through my BHSE with NOS Mullard tubes, the preference was split about half and half between the 009 NS 007 MK II with port mod. Bob Katz greatly preferred his 007 Mk II with port mod to the 009, granted that he listened to both via a KGSS[RE]. I don't recall Kevin Gilmore expressing a preference between the 007 and 009, although with so many thread posts here and elsewhere, I could well have missed it. At this level, I view the choice as more personal preference than better or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back