The Stax Thread III
Jul 11, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #12,361 of 25,611
Actually, I did not notice this problem initially in the T1. My bad. However once it was pointed out to me, I submitted an addendum a couple weeks ago that fixes the problem, and should be published in a future issue of AudioXpress. I do not know if Kingsound has fixed the problem with their amps, which Kevin Gilmore pointed out a couple years ago, nor do I know if they have recalled their earlier amps to fix it. Do you know of any recall?

I would also point out that there is a difference between someone suggesting DIY improvements, and a manufacturer who is making equipment for profit. However, if Kingsound did not do a recall to fix the problem, then, no, I do not like Kingsound.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #12,362 of 25,611
My gawd, Stax 009 and Grounded Grid with these tubes and it bass is miraculously done for classical, instrumental and bolero ! I couldn't stop telling myself how I had been mistaken Stax for being lack of bass from a simple myth for too long. The Huge expansive soundstage and yet Bass from further away is still full of authorities!

@/Purk@ ! You, my friend, brought Stax into my world, and I couldn't give you enough credits for that

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #12,363 of 25,611
Actually, I did not notice this problem initially in the T1. My bad. However once it was pointed out to me, I submitted an addendum a couple weeks ago that fixes the problem, and should be published in a future issue of AudioXpress. I do not know if Kingsound has fixed the problem with their amps, which Kevin Gilmore pointed out a couple years ago, nor do I know if they have recalled their earlier amps to fix it. Do you know of any recall?

I would also point out that there is a difference between someone suggesting DIY improvements, and a manufacturer who is making equipment for profit. However, if Kingsound did not do a recall to fix the problem, then, no, I do not like Kingsound.
LOL you not notice, even then Gillnore point out years before - and sudenly a big deal?
what good is improve if the amp still burns headphones bad??? LOL

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #12,364 of 25,611
Bass impact and soundstage clarity of the 009s are improved by increased clamping as well as better electronics. The sky's the limit! I am still hoping to hear from any folks who can afford the rubber bands to have tried greater clamping force with the 009’s (or even other models). Now, I cannot imagine listening to stock 009s myself.

I recently “discovered” https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/stax-sr-009-electrostatic-headphones.13431/reviews:

kendetamas says “Cons - lows are not that powerful” but mentions comfort as a “Pro”.

Elrondo says “Cons - lacks the last bit of bass power and dynamics”

ASR prefers the SR-007 to the 009’s because they are “more natural- & authentic-sounding in the mid-range with a fuller sound and heavier, more physical-feeling bass. Or to put it another way, the OII had more impactful drums & bass lines, heavier guitars, and more vocal presence.”

Increased clamping force addresses the sonic weaknesses of the 009’s mentioned above, as I reported previously. The tradeoff is “comfort”. Stax, appropriately, takes comfort very seriously, and, it seems, the result has been trade-offs that do not give the absolute best sound quality available from other brilliant aspects of their design.

I believe that a simple but correct explanation for the sonic improvements of increased clamping force is related to Newton’s third law that “every action (force) in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction”. When the diaphragm moves it generates forces both due to Newton’s second law (force equals mass time acceleration) and to compression of air resulting in minute motions of the ear cups, which ideally should be stationary. Increased clamping force allows the listener’s skull to be a better “mechanical ground” for the ear cups, allowing them to be more stationary. I have also verified that more mass added to the ear cups helps in this regard. So, improved sonics with increased clamping force and more mass negatively impact comfort, leaving the optimum solution in the realm of personal taste. Apparently, my taste leans more toward better sonics. I suspect that others will have similar leanings, but would love to hear (read) about that.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #12,365 of 25,611
Even for electrostats, SR 009 is very confusing, the myth that it has no bass is basically created because most people have heard it on low end Stax amps.I will admit that I thought the Bass was terrible on SR 009 myself.If what people on this page said is true then SR 009 is surely a very underrated headphone...

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #12,366 of 25,611
It is underrated for sure, but that is because the proper amplifier for it is not so easy to come by. The most quality and commercially available would be Blue Hawaii Special Edition. Otherwise, you would need to go the DIY route, and ofcourse is not easy. You can commercial it built though.

Jul 12, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #12,367 of 25,611
LOL you not notice, even then Gillnore point out years before - and sudenly a big deal?
what good is improve if the amp still burns headphones bad??? LOL

Yep, I screwed up, but to repeat myself, I have addressed that. It's a really simple mod, just insert a 4.7 megohm 600 volt or better rated resistor between the circuit board and the output socket. So with this feature, no worries about burning headphones. This safety feature was introduced by Stax, but it was done after the T1 was released, and well before the M10 and M20, which, as far as I know, have never been modified to include this. Thus, the M10 and M20 still have the potential to burn headphones - but for some reason that doesn't seem to bother you as much as my missing it in the T1, which makes me think you're a troll. But since you're such an expert, I assume you also noticed another safety feature that the M10 and M20 did not have when they were released?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #12,368 of 25,611
My gawd, Stax 009 and Grounded Grid with these tubes and it bass is miraculously done for classical, instrumental and bolero ! I couldn't stop telling myself how I had been mistaken Stax for being lack of bass from a simple myth for too long. The Huge expansive soundstage and yet Bass from further away is still full of authorities!

@/Purk@ ! You, my friend, brought Stax into my world, and I couldn't give you enough credits for that

Which of the many EL34s in your collection were you using that gave you this bliss? :)

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #12,370 of 25,611
Yep, I screwed up, but to repeat myself, I have addressed that. It's a really simple mod, just insert a 4.7 megohm 600 volt or better rated resistor between the circuit board and the output socket. So with this feature, no worries about burning headphones. This safety feature was introduced by Stax, but it was done after the T1 was released, and well before the M10 and M20, which, as far as I know, have never been modified to include this. Thus, the M10 and M20 still have the potential to burn headphones - but for some reason that doesn't seem to bother you as much as my missing it in the T1, which makes me think you're a troll. But since you're such an expert, I assume you also noticed another safety feature that the M10 and M20 did not have when they were released?
has any had burned headphones using kinsound?

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #12,371 of 25,611
Even for electrostats, SR 009 is very confusing, the myth that it has no bass is basically created because most people have heard it on low end Stax amps.I will admit that I thought the Bass was terrible on SR 009 myself.If what people on this page said is true then SR 009 is surely a very underrated headphone...

I actually find that my SR-009s have more bass than my SR-007Mk1s. Deeper, punchier with tighter bass. I love both headphones, but prefer the flagships.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #12,373 of 25,611
seems Jude-san and Tyll and Bob Katz prefer 007 over 009. anyway both headphone are okay for me...

Actually I'm pretty sure that Jude prefers the SR-009...as does one of our Columnists (recording engineer) on Headphone.Guru who's worked with Michael Jackson. :) I rarely seem to agree with Bob Katz FWIW as well.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #12,374 of 25,611
fyi...
Especially with the SR-007 Mk1 (which I've been using more and more lately), the bass is more present than with the Utopia, and the treble smoother and more refined, and, overall, more resolving. Both the SR-009 and SR-007 Mk1 play with beautiful body and drive through the Cooter--more than any other amp I've yet heard with them.

Tyll's comment on 007 and 009
The problem I have with the SR-007 and SR-009 is that the 009 is too bright, and the 007 is too rolled off—fireworks or murky water seems the choice. I previously gushed over the 009, but having had the opportunity to listen to them side by side has me preferring the more subdued character of the 007. Even though it's a bit too low in level, I find the 007 treble response more articulate and smooth than the 009.

Such were my thoughts untill Bob showed up.

Bob Katz, world renown mastering engineer, came to Big Sound armed with—among many other things—his personal pair of modified Stax SR-007 headphones. When I plugged them in my jaw dropped—this is what I want to hear from an electrostatic can. Brilliantly articulate and fast, but smooth as a baby's buttocks. The modification he used is fairly simple to implement; instructions can be found in this HeadCase thread. Yes please, I'll take the modified SR-007 all day long.

Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-finale-headphones

and bob's recommended HPs such as LCD and PM3 are very nice HPs IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #12,375 of 25,611
However, Birgir finds the 009 to be a piece of..

Rely on your own ears -- whichever works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back