The Stax Thread III
Apr 1, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #8,491 of 25,505
  I am using my Mojo as a Pre Amp to my Genelec monitors from last 2 months :)
No issues till now and still feeling heavenly every day of my life :)

Question for you, I've tried both ways and seen no difference. when turning the Mojo on for line level, do you hold the two volume buttons then press the power and press all 3 at the same time?

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #8,492 of 25,505

I am using my Mojo as a Pre Amp to my Genelec monitors from last 2 months :)
No issues till now and still feeling heavenly every day of my life :)

Question for you, I've tried both ways and seen no difference. when turning the Mojo on for line level, do you hold the two volume buttons then press the power and press all 3 at the same time?

Exactly, when i use my Mojo as a Pre-Amp, i press all three button together to activate 3V line level mode.
When i take my same Mojo to office next morning, i just use the power button to turn on, as we know Mojo doesn't remember Line out mode.

I like this feature, else i had to decrease the volume to such level, so that i won'y blow up my Cans/Earbuds/my own ears and i had to do it every morning :)

Chord engineers are really smart guys :D

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #8,493 of 25,505
Exactly, when i use my Mojo as a Pre-Amp, i press all three button together to activate 3V line level mode.
When i take my same Mojo to office next morning, i just use the power button to turn on, as we know Mojo doesn't remember Line out mode.

I like this feature, else i had to decrease the volume to such level, so that i won'y blow up my Cans/Earbuds/my own ears and i had to do it every morning :)

Chord engineers are really smart guys :D

Yea that's what I've been doing so I think no issues with getting the right mode, but it seems that when setting it to the right mode the output isn't high enough to provide consistent sound and I get the music fading in and out. Few clicks up on volume seems to fix it but instead of enjoying the music like I should I just keep worrying that something is going to go wrong again. Just to check this is the colours you're getting for the volume buttons?

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #8,494 of 25,505

I like this feature, else i had to decrease the volume to such level, so that i won'y blow up my Cans/Earbuds/my own ears and i had to do it every morning
smily_headphones1.gif

Chord engineers are really smart guys
biggrin.gif

Yea that's what I've been doing so I think no issues with getting the right mode, but it seems that when setting it to the right mode the output isn't high enough to provide consistent sound and I get the music fading in and out. Few clicks up on volume seems to fix it but instead of enjoying the music like I should I just keep worrying that something is going to go wrong again. Just to check this is the colours you're getting for the volume buttons?

Yes this is the color of Line out mode, I am happy with this mode, i never tried to Vol Up from Line level mode, i think most PreAmp has output close to 3V anyways.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #8,495 of 25,505
Well this is the one I assumed I was supposed to be using as that's what it's supposed to be for the line output but when I do I have issues. The Stax and the mojo don't seem to like each other at that volume level it seems. 
I'm using one of these for the connection in case there was any doubt, although a better quality one
35RCA.jpg

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #8,496 of 25,505
  Well this is the one I assumed I was supposed to be using as that's what it's supposed to be for the line output but when I do I have issues. The Stax and the mojo don't seem to like each other at that volume level it seems. 
I'm using one of these for the connection in case there was any doubt, although a better quality one
35RCA.jpg

Yes, but try to use a bit quality cable rather than $1 cheap cable.
I use Bluerigger, because Monoprice RCA is not available in India.

I am not saying to buy all Fancy Tesla, Dragonhawk named cables($100). But also please don't use any cable which is less than $10.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #8,497 of 25,505
yea of course, that's just the picture of one I googled, wasn't home at the time and couldn't remember what I had, I've got wireworld luna 7 is what I have been using. I wouldn't touch something like the one in the picture

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #8,498 of 25,505
  Mojo has line out put mode (3V). 

Line Level Mode
Mojo has been optimised for portable use, but can also be used as a system DAC. Please note that the design of Mojo means that power is always taken from the battery so, in certain circumstances, you may deplete the battery faster than it can recharge. Therefore it is recommended that you switch off Mojo when not in use so the battery can have a full charge cycle ready for the next listening session. Mojo should not be permanently switched on.
To set the output level to 3V (line level) for connection to a preamplifier press both volume buttons together when switching on the unit. Both volume balls will illuminate light blue. This mode is not remembered so when you switch Mojo off it will reset back to the previous volume stored for safety reasons. 

Maybe the issue is the battery then and it was running out before it could power the line out?

Regardless I am not sure if this unit is really good enough to supply a Stax amp? There would be quality gains to be had with a better dedicated source IMO.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #8,500 of 25,505
Isolate the issue.  I'm sure you have a TV or blu ray player, or CD player, or sound card, or something with RCA or XLR outs.  Connect your Stax setup to that and see if the issue goes away.  If it does, then you know for sure it's either the DAC or cable acting up.  If it doesn't then it's the amp or HP.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #8,501 of 25,505
I am worried about the sound of the L700 headphones which is thin and tends to emphasise 's' and 'ch' sounds and words ending 'se', especially with female singers. It is not quite sibilance or a peaky treble like the HD800, but the treble is occasionally sparkly and can make female singers uncomfortable to listen to. My set up is a PC with Chord Mojo and SRM-006t. I have also tried my Asus STX II. Is this normal? If so, I think I've made a big mistake and preferred the L500 headphones.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #8,502 of 25,505
  Isolate the issue.  I'm sure you have a TV or blu ray player, or CD player, or sound card, or something with RCA or XLR outs.  Connect your Stax setup to that and see if the issue goes away.  If it does, then you know for sure it's either the DAC or cable acting up.  If it doesn't then it's the amp or HP.

I already did, I connected to the headphone out of my AV receiver because that was easiest at the time and running some music through there that I was streaming I had no problems. Connected the Mojo back up and problems started again

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #8,503 of 25,505
  I am worried about the sound of the L700 headphones which is thin and tends to emphasise 's' and 'ch' sounds and words ending 'se', especially with female singers. It is not quite sibilance or a peaky treble like the HD800, but the treble is occasionally sparkly and can make female singers uncomfortable to listen to. My set up is a PC with Chord Mojo and SRM-006t. I have also tried my Asus STX II. Is this normal? If so, I think I've made a big mistake and preferred the L500 headphones.

I would say it is your source. You need a good DAC which is smooth sounding to get the best from Stax headphones. They are so transparent, any digital edge is going to hurt TBH.

A 400 USD Mojo is not good enough. Don't give up yet, the magic is there, you just need to sort your source out.... USB audio is another subject, but you need the right software and a set up PC. Off the shelf it will sound rubbish TBH.

The 007s are more forgiving, but those need a better amplifier. Best bet is get a streamer / DAC combo from Naim or similar. Ditch the PC and USB if not spending decent money.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #8,504 of 25,505

I would say it is your source. You need a good DAC which is smooth sounding to get the best from Stax headphones. They are so transparent, any digital edge is going to hurt TBH.

A 400 USD Mojo is not good enough. Don't give up yet, the magic is there, you just need to sort your source out.... USB audio is another subject, but you need the right software and a set up PC. Off the shelf it will sound rubbish TBH.

The 007s are more forgiving, but those need a better amplifier. Best bet is get a streamer / DAC combo from Naim or similar. Ditch the PC and USB if not spending decent money.

Thanks for the reply. I previously used my PC with a SR-404 and SRM-006t fed by an Asus STX and, despite the unpretentious source, the sound quality was generally impressive with good bass and a clear non-sibilant treble. The L500 did not provide a significant improvement over the SR-404 so I thought that the L700 would be a good solution. I tried both the Mojo and Asus with the L700 and the abrasive treble (rather than pure sibilance) was present. The L700 is overall brighter and seems to emphasis treble slightly more than older Lambdas (previously I owned an SR-202 Basic system) with the effect, that to me at least, many tracks are now sounding annoyingly harsh. I used to own a Chord Hugo which should have been an acceptable source but the only real difference with the Mojo is a very slightly flatter frequency response. I'm not sure that the source is the problem, but I'll experiment using just a media player with the PC shut down. The 007s are slightly out of my price range sadly and so is a fancy non-Stax amplifier. I guess my L700 headphones are now destined for another owner.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #8,505 of 25,505
I can't say as I haven't heard the L700, but I had many Lambdas which had a slightly tilted treble edge. It was only tamed by a great source. Most modern DACs are quite bright and 'hifi' sounding.

You will probably have the same issues with the HD800s.

I would say it is worth keeping to Stax and trying your amp and headphones from a different source. Can you get to a demo room with a Naim DAC? Or a Metrum Octave which is R-2R which I prefer  personally. High end headphones can send you down this road I am afraid. Might be why many go Hifi-Man or LCD2 as they are warmer and less transparent (forgiving).

You know you can get the 007s from Price Japan for probably what you paid for the L700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back