The Stax Thread III
Apr 1, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #8,506 of 25,570
I'd be curious to know how to go with/without using the Mojo as I've been using one with my Stax as well and having a few issues with it. Have you tried running the mojo from a different source other than your computer? I have yet to try that and will do when I get home from work today, wondering if the issues I'm having are coming from the streaming between the two via USB rather than the mojo itself. Curious whether it's maybe as Astro has been saying, the Mojo isn't pushing out a good enough signal to get the best out of what we're using.
Best of luck to you

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #8,507 of 25,570
  I can't say as I haven't heard the L700, but I had many Lambdas which had a slightly tilted treble edge. It was only tamed by a great source. Most modern DACs are quite bright and 'hifi' sounding.

You will probably have the same issues with the HD800s.

I would say it is worth keeping to Stax and trying your amp and headphones from a different source. Can you get to a demo room with a Naim DAC? Or a Metrum Octave which is R-2R which I prefer  personally. High end headphones can send you down this road I am afraid. Might be why many go Hifi-Man or LCD2 as they are warmer and less transparent (forgiving).

You know you can get the 007s from Price Japan for probably what you paid for the L700.

Would the 007s work with the SRM-006t? The difficulty with Price Japan is the inevitable customs charge.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #8,508 of 25,570
  Would the 007s work with the SRM-006t? The difficulty with Price Japan is the inevitable customs charge.

Speak via email to Kaneda, I didn't pay anything. The 007A will struggle on that amp, it isn't powerful enough. The old 717 (second hand) is better, or the current 727 with the Spritzer mod done to it.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #8,509 of 25,570
  I'd be curious to know how to go with/without using the Mojo as I've been using one with my Stax as well and having a few issues with it. Have you tried running the mojo from a different source other than your computer? I have yet to try that and will do when I get home from work today, wondering if the issues I'm having are coming from the streaming between the two via USB rather than the mojo itself. Curious whether it's maybe as Astro has been saying, the Mojo isn't pushing out a good enough signal to get the best out of what we're using.
Best of luck to you

Thanks, regrettably the sound was virtually identical with the Asus STX II as with the Mojo via USB. In theory the Mojo should produce a cleaner output than a PC sound card.

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #8,510 of 25,570

I agree with astrostar that the 717 is better than the 006t. More control, tighter bass, mostly, from what I remember. I tried my SR-007 with my old SRM-T1 (virtually the same as 006t) once, and yes it works, but it's not optimal.

Even with import duties, it's still cheaper than buying locally. And you can always go the second-hand route. That's even cheaper. If your L700 is very new and in mint condition, you could even propose a trade for a 007 here in the For Sale section, although I don't know if people would be interested. I can imagine however that the 007 is not for everyone, especially for people with weaker amps, so you might give it a shot.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #8,512 of 25,570
So just because electronics like to confuse me, gone to listen to mojo again this afternoon. As usual turn on line level and working perfectly this time again, didn't have to touch the volume. 2 hours so far and no issues, haven't changed a thing from how it was set up the other day. 
confused_face_2.gif

also, opinions on Schiit Gungnir multi-bit still thinking of upgrading

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #8,514 of 25,570
At the place you've bought your 009. Until now, Stax has a very strong policy for 009's spare parts, asking you to show S/N and/or invoice to ensure the country of origin.
You can also check e-bay.

Ali

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #8,515 of 25,570
So I am moving to a Stax SR-Lambda (Normal Bias) powered by a SRM-1/MK2.

I have a few questions.

1.  I know how to balance the voltage in a Pro-Bias socket, but how do you do that in a normal bias socket?

2. Because this is older, I assume that there is eventually going to be some maintenance required.  What do you normally have to do?  The person I bought them from renewed the wool already.

3.  What am I in for?  I'm moving from a Stax SR-404LE with a SRM-3 to a Lambda with a SRM-1/MK2.  What are the major differences?  The frequency responses are extremely similar, but people say that the Lambda is way more bass light even though graphs show slightly more bass.  I'm assuming because the 404LE has slower decay. I didn't find the 404LE bass light and really don't know what to expect.

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #8,516 of 25,570
  So I am moving to a Stax SR-Lambda (Normal Bias) powered by a SRM-1/MK2.

I have a few questions.

1.  I know how to balance the voltage in a Pro-Bias socket, but how do you do that in a normal bias socket?

2. Because this is older, I assume that there is eventually going to be some maintenance required.  What do you normally have to do?  The person I bought them from renewed the wool already.

3.  What am I in for?  I'm moving from a Stax SR-404LE with a SRM-3 to a Lambda with a SRM-1/MK2.  What are the major differences?  The frequency responses are extremely similar, but people say that the Lambda is way more bass light even though graphs show slightly more bass.  I'm assuming because the 404LE has slower decay. I didn't find the 404LE bass light and really don't know what to expect.

interesting change in gear.  I would have held on to the 404LE and paired it with the srm1-mk2.  the 404LE and the normal bias lambda are "generally" considered to be a couple of the top Lambdas.

as far as maintenance on the headphones themselves, there really is none.  If the pads have flattened, I suppose you can get some new pads.  renewing the wool isnt really even necessary.  some take the wool out completely.  The only thing I can think of that needs to be done if it hasnt been is to recap the srm1-mk2.  its probably one of the easiest recaps possible, so you can DIY.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #8,517 of 25,570

interesting change in gear.  I would have held on to the 404LE and paired it with the srm1-mk2.  the 404LE and the normal bias lambda are "generally" considered to be a couple of the top Lambdas.

as far as maintenance on the headphones themselves, there really is none.  If the pads have flattened, I suppose you can get some new pads.  renewing the wool isnt really even necessary.  some take the wool out completely.  The only thing I can think of that needs to be done if it hasnt been is to recap the srm1-mk2.  its probably one of the easiest recaps possible, so you can DIY.

Pads have been replaced with the SR-Lambda Professional pads.  I assume this will add bass-response because those pads are supposed to fit better.

The amp went kaput.  I still have it but the main board is dead and carbonized.  I don't know if it still has for-parts value.  I sold the 404LE after testing if they still work because of this.  I got money from something else but not enough to buy a 404LE and a new amp again so I saw the NB Lambda was cheaper and considered good and pulled the trigger.  

Still don't know what to expect soundwise.  Everyone seems to be saying different things about them.  Everyone seems to like them, but just the descriptions are sometimes wildly different.  Some say its the fastest lambda up there with the signature, some say its a bit more mellow and laid back, some say warm, some say very airy, etc.

Frequency response pretty much shows that its almost the exact same as the SR-404LE with differences in slightly less midbass, slightly less of a midrange bump, and more extended highs and the CSD seems much faster of a decay.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #8,518 of 25,570
  Pads have been replaced with the SR-Lambda Professional pads.  I assume this will add bass-response because those pads are supposed to fit better.

The amp went kaput.  I still have it but the main board is dead and carbonized.  I don't know if it still has for-parts value.  I sold the 404LE after testing if they still work because of this.  I got money from something else but not enough to buy a 404LE and a new amp again so I saw the NB Lambda was cheaper and considered good and pulled the trigger.  

Still don't know what to expect soundwise.  Everyone seems to be saying different things about them.  Everyone seems to like them, but just the descriptions are sometimes wildly different.  Some say its the fastest lambda up there with the signature, some say its a bit more mellow and laid back, some say warm, some say very airy, etc.

Frequency response pretty much shows that its almost the exact same as the SR-404LE with differences in slightly less midbass, slightly less of a midrange bump, and more extended highs and the CSD seems much faster of a decay.

so which amp went kaput?  not the srm1-mk2 right?  That is a great amp, and an excellent pairing with both the LE and the NB lambda.  I would say only bested "maybe" by the new L500 and L700.  Although I have not heard those.  So I cant say that  from experience.  But ears I trust make me want the L700.  A lot.  Comparison necessary though.

I have the NB lambda and the Airbow SC1 which is a lot like the 404LE, both with the srm1mk2 as well.

I know what you mean about the descriptions.  so much of that is difficult to put into perspective.  Let us know what you find, and what stuff your listening to.  that means a lot.

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #8,520 of 25,570
Does anyone use tube preamp/buffer amp/DACs for your Stax rig? what is your favorite tube units?
I found tube pre amp makes sound much smoother. 

Marantz SA11S3 -> Schiit Lyr2(as pre amp) -> Stax SRM-717 -> SR-009/007 = eargasm heaven!

I also understand today why...

* astrostar uses Audio Note UK tube DAC.
* Senheiser HE1(aka orpheus 2) uses so many tubes.
* hifiman shangri-la use 300B tube amp.
* TOTL electrostatic amps are all tubes (DIYT2 BHSE etc)
* most expensive Stax amp is also tube amp(SRM-007tII)
* Jude loves frank cooter tube amp for stax.
* Tyll love/recommend BHSE.

Thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back