The Stax Thread III
Apr 3, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #8,521 of 25,558
  Does anyone use tube preamp/buffer amp/DACs for your Stax rig? what is your favorite tube units?
I found tube pre amp makes sound much smoother. 

Marantz SA11S3 -> Schiit Lyr2(as pre amp) -> Stax SRM-717 -> SR-009/007 = eargasm heaven!

I used to have the 717 and it is a great little amp. I ran it with the 007 MK2s.
I also had an Audio Note M3 tubed pre-amp in-between the 717 and my DAC. I warmed things up and made it more
forgiving with many CDs, But since getting a better Stat amp, I miss out the pre-amp and it sounds better, faster
,more transparent. Note some DACs don't have enough drive or low impedance to be able to do this.

I also understand today why...

* astrostar uses Audio Note UK tube DAC.
Yes, plus it is R-2R which to me sounds more realistic (as well as using the tubes) 
I also go direct from the DAC, no pre-amp.
* Senheiser HE1(aka orpheus 2) uses so many tubes.
* hifiman shangri-la use 300B tube amp.
* TOTL electrostatic amps are all tubes (DIYT2 BHSE etc)
* most expensive Stax amp is also tube amp(SRM-007tII)
It is poor SQ IMO, best avoid.
* Jude loves frank cooter tube amp for stax.
* Tyll love/recommend BHSE.

Thank you very much

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #8,522 of 25,558
Too bad Stax never did some SR-5 Pro...SR-Gamma and SR-X enclosures are not as good as SR-5 ones to me. There's one head-fier who diy-ed the transplant, maybe one day I'll butcher my SR-Gamma Pro... 
redface.gif

Ali

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #8,523 of 25,558

Um, actually the DIYT2, BHSE and SRM-007tII are all hybrid amps.

The DIY T2 has tube input and output stages, but solid state intermediate stages.

The BHSE in solid state up to the output stage, which is tubed

The SRM-007tII is also solid state to the output stage, which is tubed.

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #8,525 of 25,558

Regardless I am not sure if this unit is really good enough to supply a Stax amp? There would be quality gains to be had with a better dedicated source IMO.

The problem with the Mojo is that it is so unconventionally designed that the normal logic that we might apply to a source doesn't apply to it. It only has a single amplification stage inside and almost none of the circuitry associated with a regular DAC. Nor does it have a conventional volume control.

To set up a Mojo with a Stax amp, probably the best option is to set the Stax amp's volume should to the 12 o'clock position and then the volume adjusted to a comfortable level on the Mojo. I wouldn't bother using the "line out" mode. All that does is set a 3V output volume level. It has zero other effect on the output. 

IIRC a standard 2V output from the Mojo is 3 clicks on the "-" volume button from the line-out level volume. Aside from that, any suitable volume level will work. If something isn't working at a particular volume level (eg: the amplification circuit in the Stax amp or another amp is distorting) then the volume on the Mojo should be adjusted until this stops happening. Importantly, again, it absolutely doesn't matter what volume level is set at on the Mojo if everything is working without distortion.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #8,526 of 25,558
  Too bad Stax never did some SR-5 Pro...SR-Gamma and SR-X enclosures are not as good as SR-5 ones to me. There's one head-fier who diy-ed the transplant, maybe one day I'll butcher my SR-Gamma Pro... 
redface.gif

Ali

i had read all your post about the SR-5...
beerchug.gif

thanks to you... I had one and with the sorbothane mod. i had no more upgraditis....Where is the headphone who will be better (there is some i think for sure) BUT organically musical like it ? there is also some but what is their price?
atsmile.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #8,527 of 25,558

The problem with the Mojo is that it is so unconventionally designed that the normal logic that we might apply to a source doesn't apply to it. It only has a single amplification stage inside and almost none of the circuitry associated with a regular DAC. Nor does it have a conventional volume control.

To set up a Mojo with a Stax amp, probably the best option is to set the Stax amp's volume should to the 12 o'clock position and then the volume adjusted to a comfortable level on the Mojo. I wouldn't bother using the "line out" mode. All that does is set a 3V output volume level. It has zero other effect on the output. 

IIRC a standard 2V output from the Mojo is 3 clicks on the "-" volume button from the line-out level volume. Aside from that, any suitable volume level will work. If something isn't working at a particular volume level (eg: the amplification circuit in the Stax amp or another amp is distorting) then the volume on the Mojo should be adjusted until this stops happening. Importantly, again, it absolutely doesn't matter what volume level is set at on the Mojo if everything is working without distortion.

Thank you for the detailed reply, helps to give a bit more understanding about what is happening. From what you're saying it seems like while it can be made to work the Mojo isn't ideally suited for what I'm trying to use it for. While I know it isn't quite the intended use given its a headphone amplifier, didn't expect to encounter this kind of issue. The search continues to find a dedicated DAC
Thanks for the help

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #8,529 of 25,558
beerchug.gif

This is one of your multiple posts about the SR-5 here... Not necessary to give the others to refresh your memory...

Quote:
  I've had my SR-5 for over 35 years, got my hands on SR-407 few days ago, and I don't feel one is better than another. Especially considering mids, which are truly lovely on SR-5. Dynamics and details are better on 407, but not sure bass extension is so much better on 407 (slight weakness of 407 among Lambdas). BTW, I haven't done any side by side comparison on my SRM-1/mk2 Pro, only Lambda Sig vs 407 on my modded 727, and Lambda NB vs 407 on SRM-1/mk2 Pro...

Which amps / transformers do you have ?

Ali

i dont know if i am confusing like you say .... but anyway thank you for your help, i have much appreciated your impression of the SR-5 before buying one and i dont regret it....

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #8,530 of 25,558
  Does anyone use tube preamp/buffer amp/DACs for your Stax rig? what is your favorite tube units?
I found tube pre amp makes sound much smoother. 

Marantz SA11S3 -> Schiit Lyr2(as pre amp) -> Stax SRM-717 -> SR-009/007 = eargasm heaven!

I also understand today why...

* astrostar uses Audio Note UK tube DAC.
* Senheiser HE1(aka orpheus 2) uses so many tubes.
* hifiman shangri-la use 300B tube amp.
* Jude loves frank cooter tube amp for stax.

Thank you very much

very interesting
can you tell more on how you use the eargasm with your 009/007? ....found some eargasm at amazon  but they seems to be for concerts musicians motorcycles and more - is it the same you use?
do you just plug them in your ears before using the 007?
is they only necessary if one use tubes?

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #8,531 of 25,558
Hi All
I have a 23 month old 009 I bought from a dealer in the UK. It has developed a marked channel imbalance. I have thus sent it to the service centre in the UK.

My question, does anyone know if they would replace the problem driver, or both, or replace the whole headphone?

I am unsure if a new driver would match the existing one that is ok. Stax do change production over time, and I can see a new driver would not match.

I have read some guys on here had issues with their 009s and as that happened soon after purchase i.e. 2 or 3 months, they got a new pair.

Any help would be great. I am hoping they don't need to go back to Japn, I am missing them already!

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #8,532 of 25,558
23 months, that's quite old to develop imbalance. I always thought you'd be safe once the first few months were over. Lucky for you it's just within the two year warranty period (right?).
It seems most logical to me that drivers are always installed as a matched set, but I don't have experience with this.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #8,533 of 25,558
  23 months, that's quite old to develop imbalance. I always thought you'd be safe once the first few months were over. Lucky for you it's just within the two year warranty period (right?).
It seems most logical to me that drivers are always installed as a matched set, but I don't have experience with this.

I thought that, as a matched set, which would be cool, 2 new drivers.

Yes, I also thought the imbalance was a 3 month issue at most. This surprised me. I heard a slight crackle in the problem driver for about 3 seconds after I noticed the sound had dropped back. And again an hour later after I had discharged them and played another track. I also think it is a rare occurrence for the UK Stax repair folk from what I have heard. If I get a damage report I would be interested to know what happened.

I stil want to own the 009s as they are so damb good. Anyway, have you seen the LCD imbalance thread, not pretty, and looks like a lot more cases.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #8,535 of 25,558
Quote:
  Hi All
I have a 23 month old 009 I bought from a dealer in the UK. It has developed a marked channel imbalance. I have thus sent it to the service centre in the UK.

My question, does anyone know if they would replace the problem driver, or both, or replace the whole headphone?

My - much cheaper - SR-303 needed a driver replacement a couple of times. The service guys have always replaced both drivers, they are matched. Your SR-009 will  certainly get both drivers replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back