The Stax Thread III
Feb 16, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #4,471 of 25,505
Feb 16, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #4,472 of 25,505
  So, just how stupid would it be to get an SR-009 and then run it off an energizer or cheaper Stax amp (SRM-1 MK2, SRM-252S)?  I'm about 3/4 done saving for a used pair and honestly I can't spare enough for BHSE/KGSSHV, ever. An energizer or older amp would probably be used until I get something better like an SRM-323. 

I searched and haven't found anyone who has done this. I actually did try the cheapo 252S with an 009 a long time ago and it wasn't too bad, just not loud enough (wasn't on my source so maybe that was the issue).  

A very good moderate power speaker amp with something like a Woo Wee is actually in my experience a very respectable solution with high-end Stax headphones. Yes, I would always prefer my KGSSHV, but value for money and audio rarely go hand in hand. :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #4,473 of 25,505
Or you could get an SRM-007tII, like I did, even with the U.S. voltages, and warranty.  Seriously, I've never understood the prejudice evinced by so many for this truly decent tube amp - Stax's flagship.  I had this and an early KGSS, ran them side-by-side, and sold the KGSS.  Yes.  Still running the Stax amp.

Something about the midrange of these amazing Omega II's.

Or, sure get the 009s, and enjoy with whatever you want to drive them.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #4,474 of 25,505

Yes they will

thanks for answer. im looking forward to my 1st foray with stax
o2smile.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #4,475 of 25,505
Thanks for the help and feedback everyone. I really appreciate it. 

@Michgelsen I agree the driver makes the most difference. That's what I've experienced with planars and dynamics. Just wondering if it's much more crucial with stats as I have little experience with them. 

@realmassy That's good to know. Guess it was just a source issue, wasn't on my laptop. 

@n3rdling I forgot the SRM-T1 even existed, looks to be fairly priced too. Thanks for the heads up. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #4,476 of 25,505
I stand by what I think, that in a headphone system, ( or speaker ) the most important audio piece is the source, followed by the amp, with headphones / speakers last, after all headphones only reproduce what the amp gives, same with the amp from the source.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4,477 of 25,505
  I don't agree wit that. You can put a remarkably good headphone like the 009 on the end of a remarkably weak front end, and what do you get? You get a microscope to what is wrong with your front end - edgy treble, flabby bass, flat dynamics and soundstage i.e remarkably poor and irritating sound.

It is about system synergy. You need to get roughly equal parts in the chain to have a balanced system that doesn't irritate in long listening sessions. Otherwise, you will not use it, and it will gather dust. The 507s hide some failures upstream, as do the 007s in the treble region (not the bass as those headphones need lots of juice from a decent amp).

I would say yes, buy the 009s, but be aware you will quickly be saving up for a better amp and smoother DAC. As long as that is the long term plan, fine.

Dig around this forum, ask 009 users. Look at the profiles of 009 users. It is no mistake that most have a BHSE, KGSShv or similar amps, and good front ends....

The thing is though, you'd have to make some pretty buying poor decisions if you end up with a system that poor. While your point is sound, I really think you are blowing things up quite a bit just to prove it. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #4,478 of 25,505
I was responding to the guy who wanted an opinion on using a Stax SRM-212 with err the 3,500 US 009 headphone. To me this is just plain bonkers. Now if you think that is a balanced system good luck...

I get fed up with folk who try to blow out any advice and bang on about this subject. Lets just go out and buy a Ferrari then put Onyo skiing tyres on it - good luck with that as well.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,479 of 25,505
Talking low money for Stax, I was actually quite pleased with the Woo Wee as long as the speaker amp behind it was good quality. It was no KGSSHV, but better than some would make of it, if reading these forums. That is assuming some folks would have a good speaker amp around, which is not unlikely.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #4,480 of 25,505

You can put a remarkably good headphone like the 009 on the end of a remarkably weak front end, and what do you get? You get a microscope to what is wrong with your front end - edgy treble, flabby bass, flat dynamics and soundstage i.e remarkably poor and irritating sound.

being a proponent of the GIGO theory, i cant argue with a having a great front end to compliment a great transducer.

that said, i read somewhere (forgot where & whom but its a pretty well known guy in the audio industry) that he recommends starting with the speaker u want & then build a system around it. i have to admit there's something to that as i havent heard a really bad (modern) dac but i have heard some really really bad speakers/headphones.

to my ears, a better transducer is one of the best (if not the best) bang for dollar upgrade.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #4,481 of 25,505
Every link of the chain is important, but if you have to prioritize, it should be 1st transducer, 2nd source, 3rd amp, and 4th peripherals.

I have some borrowed 009's in-house. Eventually they will be mated to a tube amp of my own design. Right now they are paired with a Stax 323s and a Metrum Octave. Sounds more than decent. The DAC and the amp were both purchased used (but in essentially new condition) in the "classifieds" for about  $1k total. I'll loose very little money when I resell them.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #4,483 of 25,505
I think people also need to distinguish quality from price.
A bad source cannot sound good, or will even sound worse, on a good amp and headphones, but a decent source can nowadays be had for not that much money. Cost of quality digital products has deceased at a much much faster pace that cost of quality electrical products.

Years ago it was often said that you need to spend an equal amount on each link. If we make the assumption that this was true, purely based on technological advancements, one would now conclude that money should be spent on amp > transducer > source.

Of course the initial assumption is probably wrong, and as I am now buying a new system, I am doing exactly the opposite....

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #4,484 of 25,505
  Every link of the chain is important, but if you have to prioritize, it should be 1st transducer, 2nd source, 3rd amp, and 4th peripherals.

I have some borrowed 009's in-house. Eventually they will be mated to a tube amp of my own design. Right now they are paired with a Stax 323s and a Metrum Octave. Sounds more than decent. The DAC and the amp were both purchased used (but in essentially new condition) in the "classifieds" for about  $1k total. I'll loose very little money when I resell them.

What are your initial thoughts Frank? I've spent a lot more time with the 009s recently and I can't help but feel that something is missing, almost a literal dead spot in the bass region. This is compared to the 007s.

Are you thinking of doing another DHT affair for the 009s? In general I'm interested in how you make decisions on what tubes to use.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #4,485 of 25,505
Transducer is always first. With the Stax 007 and 009, there seems to be a significantly larger performance gap between the decent amplifiers and the very good ones, compared to my experience with dynamic headphones. So I place amp 2nd in the context of 007/009. These days there are (finally) some very good DACs at very reasonable prices (we've come a long ways since the Bel Canto DAC 2 and Benchmark DAC 1 days), and thus I like the result of putting more money into a 009 and a better amp. If you hear garbage from your source with the 009 and a good amp, then you need to ditch that source -- the 009 is highly resolving but also pretty damn musical; it's not a nightmare to match to sources (I would advise against pairing with bright gear, though).

With a vinyl source things get more nebulous because the cartridge itself is a transducer after all, and the arm & suspension system are its acoustic environment -- so here source investment becomes a bigger priority again. Vinyl sources can get VERY good, but usually also require a LOT of money to hit at or near the top echelon. Though, enjoyable vinyl playback can start at reasonable costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back