The Stax Thread III
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #4,458 of 25,505
  So, just how stupid would it be to get an SR-009 and then run it off an energizer or cheaper Stax amp (SRM-1 MK2, SRM-252S)?  I'm about 3/4 done saving for a used pair and honestly I can't spare enough for BHSE/KGSSHV, ever. An energizer or older amp would probably be used until I get something better like an SRM-323. 

I searched and haven't found anyone who has done this. I actually did try the cheapo 252S with an 009 a long time ago and it wasn't too bad, just not loud enough (wasn't on my source so maybe that was the issue).  

It's better than nothing, so go for it. And, the headphones are by far the most decisive factor for overall sound quality of your system, compared to amp or source.

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #4,459 of 25,505

So, just how stupid would it be to get an SR-009 and then run it off an energizer or cheaper Stax amp (SRM-1 MK2, SRM-252S)?  I'm about 3/4 done saving for a used pair and honestly I can't spare enough for BHSE/KGSSHV, ever. An energizer or older amp would probably be used until I get something better like an SRM-323. 

I searched and haven't found anyone who has done this. I actually did try the cheapo 252S with an 009 a long time ago and it wasn't too bad, just not loud enough (wasn't on my source so maybe that was the issue).  

It's better than nothing, so go for it. And, the headphones are by far the most decisive factor for overall sound quality of your system, compared to amp or source.

I disagree, I believe source comes first, then amp, and then headphones.

I'm fortunate enough to have the 009's and BHSE, and I got the SR-003mk2 about three weeks ago to use with my BHSE.
I mainly got the 003's to use when it gets hot in the UK, but because they sound so good driven by the BHSE I'm going to be using them as much as the 009's.
The SQ from 003's isn't as open as the 009's while driven by the BHSE, but to me the 003's still sound pretty amazing.
I've also heard my 009's with two Stax amps ( SRM-007t and 717 ) and if I had to choose between either the 003mk2/BHSE or 009/ Stax amps mentioned, then without doubt I'd choose the 003/BHSE.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #4,460 of 25,505
Headphones make by far the biggest difference, I don't even see how that's a debate.  The measurements show huge differences as well.  Give me a SR-009 with a cheap Stax amp and a soundcard over the most expensive source with ibuds any day.

JustinBieber, check out the old SRM-1 and SRM-T1 amps.  They're vintage amps that will serve you well with the 009s and shouldn't be too expensive.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #4,461 of 25,505
 out the old SRM-1 and SRM-T1 amps.  They're vintage amps that will serve you well with the 009s and shouldn't be too expensive.

That's a good thing to know. Do you Think my old SRM1 would serve well for a 007 mkII too ?

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #4,462 of 25,505
Headphones make by far the biggest difference, I don't even see how that's a debate.  The measurements show huge differences as well.  Give me a SR-009 with a cheap Stax amp and a soundcard over the most expensive source with ibuds any day.

JustinBieber, check out the old SRM-1 and SRM-T1 amps.  They're vintage amps that will serve you well with the 009s and shouldn't be too expensive.

How true.

Ali

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #4,466 of 25,505
Thks n3rdling
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #4,467 of 25,505

I don't agree wit that. You can put a remarkably good headphone like the 009 on the end of a remarkably weak front end, and what do you get? You get a microscope to what is wrong with your front end - edgy treble, flabby bass, flat dynamics and soundstage i.e remarkably poor and irritating sound.

It is about system synergy. You need to get roughly equal parts in the chain to have a balanced system that doesn't irritate in long listening sessions. Otherwise, you will not use it, and it will gather dust. The 507s hide some failures upstream, as do the 007s in the treble region (not the bass as those headphones need lots of juice from a decent amp).

I would say yes, buy the 009s, but be aware you will quickly be saving up for a better amp and smoother DAC. As long as that is the long term plan, fine.

Dig around this forum, ask 009 users. Look at the profiles of 009 users. It is no mistake that most have a BHSE, KGSShv or similar amps, and good front ends....

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #4,470 of 25,505
does anyone have an idea if the 404LE pads will fit the 407? thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back