The Stax Thread III
Sep 9, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #3,166 of 25,558
  I'm getting the 009s next month and thought long and hard regards the energiser. In the end decided on the Stax 007tll Kimik. The guy who does the Kimik mods has further upgrades in mind so may take advantage as they become available.
My decision was based on the fact that the shape fits my available space but more importantly I'm just not prepared to import into the UK these no doubt excellent amps that have no backup outside the USA. I don't want to have to return a product across the Atlantic should there be a problem. Luckily should I crave some powerful bass I can use my Audeze instead. Would have been nice to have it all in one package though!

Congratulations on your new 009! I'm sure you'll like and you'll be happy with the 007ii...just stay away from the forum and avoid reading about other amps!! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #3,168 of 25,558
I'm getting the 009s next month and thought long and hard regards the energiser. In the end decided on the Stax 007tll Kimik. The guy who does the Kimik mods has further upgrades in mind so may take advantage as they become available.
My decision was based on the fact that the shape fits my available space but more importantly I'm just not prepared to import into the UK these no doubt excellent amps that have no backup outside the USA. I don't want to have to return a product across the Atlantic should there be a problem. Luckily should I crave some powerful bass I can use my Audeze instead. Would have been nice to have it all in one package though!

I've heard the SRM-007t ( which I once owned ) and 717 with both the 007mk1 and 009's, I've also heard both Earspeakers with the BHSE and the 009's with the KGSSHV, and I would never buy any of the current Stax amps.
If I only had the space for a Stax amp, then I'd see about getting the mini KGSSHV from Birgir which looks to be around the same size as the Stax amps, I also think it looks very nice.

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #3,169 of 25,558
I agree here. I know quite a few Stax users both new to the scene and upgrading from earlier models, who were
woo'ed by the sound of the 009s in a demo with the 007t or the 727. It doesn't take long before that initial wow factor falls away to disappointment.

The 009 is just too good for any of the current Stax amps IMO, as is the hungry 007. If buying the 507s, then yes, a balanced system can be had
for a realistic price. To really enjoy the 009 and hear what it can do means looking for other amps IMO.

There are a few companies selling in good numbers:
1. Cavalli Audio.
(the MK2 I am told is much improved over the MK1)

2. WOO Audio with the WES
Sounds great with the 009s according to many here (I have not heard it)

3. Eddie Current

4. Head Amp
a. Head Amp BHSE
b. Head Amp KGSS (now only second hand)

Think that's it for the 'manufacturers'

Then there are the DIY and Cottage amps

3. KGSShv (various DIY builders or DIY yourself)
4. KGST (some being built now by the DIY community
I think there are a few more Kevin G variants? Maybe someone else can chime in?

I would say for sure all the above amps will out perform any Stax amps currently available.
My own favourite amp in this list is the KGSShv as it has a great sound plus ease of use.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #3,170 of 25,558
After trying most of the amps for myself with my 007, I thought the 323 sounded best out of all the Stax amps (possible exception was the 717, which is no longer a current model - the 323 beats a new, unmodified 727 imho).

If you find yourself on the fence about getting a DIY KGSShv built, or spending big money on a BHSE, you might consider going 323 as an affordable short term solution. Run it for a few months or a few years, until you can figure out your permanent direction. The 323 will give you a decent taste of the potential on your 007 without costing very much at all. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3,172 of 25,558
I believe there's a mini KGSSHV for sale on Birgir's website now ( unless he's just sold it ) priced at $2950 plus shipping.
Yes more expensive than any of the Stax amps but AKAIK the tax in Iceland is quite high, however I think there's no dealer and distributor involved like there is with Stax equipment which adds to the cost of Stax gear.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #3,173 of 25,558
I agree here. I know quite a few Stax users both new to the scene and upgrading from earlier models, who were
woo'ed by the sound of the 009s in a demo with the 007t or the 727. It doesn't take long before that initial wow factor falls away to disappointment.

The 009 is just too good for any of the current Stax amps IMO, as is the hungry 007. If buying the 507s, then yes, a balanced system can be had
for a realistic price. To really enjoy the 009 and hear what it can do means looking for other amps IMO.

There are a few companies selling in good numbers:
1. Cavalli Audio.
(the MK2 I am told is much improved over the MK1)

2. WOO Audio with the WES
Sounds great with the 009s according to many here (I have not heard it)

3. Eddie Current

4. Head Amp
a. Head Amp BHSE

b. Head Amp KGSS (now only second hand)

Think that's it for the 'manufacturers'

Then there are the DIY and Cottage amps

3. KGSShv (various DIY builders or DIY yourself)
4. KGST (some being built now by the DIY community
I think there are a few more Kevin G variants? Maybe someone else can chime in?

I would say for sure all the above amps will out perform any Stax amps currently available.
My own favourite amp in this list is the KGSShv as it has a great sound plus ease of use.
spritzer (and I believe KG as well) have gone at length to describe why the WES is a "bad" amp, and likely inferior to current Stax offerings (certainly from a design standpoint).

To be quite honest if you blindly place the WES in that list this overall opinion strikes me as functionally not dissimilar from that of a oenophile who might -- even subconsciously -- attribute price to quality.

I wonder if the minimum threshold you would consider acceptable for the upstream could be defined in dollar terms rather than concrete observed performance.. :wink:

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #3,175 of 25,558
Hmm... well I think the AudioValve box is trying to be all things to all men which usually means its master of none
eek.gif

Regarding the 009, it must be one of the easiest to drive headphones Stax have ever produced. I love summin it listening to it on my SRM-252/SRM-XH even though I have a TOTL amp too.

Quote:

That's quite right, and why some of us Head Fi-ers do care about alternatives. Getting a BHSE, for example, in the UK is fantasy land, and we also want alternatives to the Stax amps.
So what Eric65 is telling us about may be very useful for us Head Fi-ers across the pond. (Stax user since 1975).

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #3,177 of 25,558
like most other transformer boxes the Verto should work much better with
Dynahi, SS Dynahi, LAu or Darkstar all of which have much higher
damping factor than the rkv2 and similar voltage swings, or greater.

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #3,178 of 25,558
Depends what you mean by best really
Its like David (no pun intended) and Goliath. The little 252 @ $500 does a great job and yes the T2 at 10 times the cost (just for the parts) does an even better one BUT IMO its not so night and day as you would experience with a 007Mk1 and the same amplifiers.
I just think perhaps some of the value judgements here have gotten a little out of perspective. The T2 and BH/BHSE were originally designed to drive the original Omega/007Mk1. I have no doubt that its possible to improve on a Stax amp but IMO the 009 is quite happy with much less esoteric fare. I have Stax kit which is knocking on 40 years old and works flawlessly. I doubt this will be the case with some of the alternative manufacturers offerings.   

Quote:
I've read the 009's are easy Earspeakers to drive, and yet they are supposed to sound their best when driven by the DIY-T2.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #3,179 of 25,558
As I said, I haven't heard the WES, but the BHSE, KGSShv beat the pants off any Stax amp. It is not subtle.
No, I don't regard price v performance. My KGSShv cost the same as a new Stax 007t.

The WES has had good reviews, Inner Fidelity, 6Moons and many others, plus many users on this forum do like it.
Just because one person says it's design is flawed doesn't mean it is terrible. BTW have you heard the WES with the 009s?
Thought not... listen to it first, then come back here.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #3,180 of 25,558
You should be ok for a while with your Stax amp. The 009s are such a great phones, they are a blessing and a curse. They give so much information and real audiophile levels of music, but do dig deep and expose the rest of the system i.e. source and amp.

Just enjoy your new system, and don't get hung up on other gear. You can sell a Stax amp easy later on if required. It all depends how drawn in you will be to high end headphone listening. If it becomes real important to you, then continue the search. I tried to stay with my 717 and my 007s but it didn't happen. It wasn't because they were poor, I liked them very much and wanted MORE of it. I am sure many here understand that thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back