The Stax Thread III
Jul 1, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2,641 of 25,558

I would say to give them more time. When I first listened to the 009, I really didn't think it was better than the HD 800 I owned at the time, but gradually I got used to it's sound and when I listened to the HD 800's again after only listening to the 009 for several weeks, the HD 800 sounded rather boring and veiled (in comparison). I ended up selling them a few months later mainly because I just stopped listening to them for the most part. Of course it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Hah, we all experience these things differently. Almost 10 years ago now, when I first heard the L3000 (imported from Japan) in a quick 2 minute impression, I though it sounded rather similar to my reference HD650/Zu (and at that time I was a bit disappointed considering the price paid). After a more serious listening session, it became clear that I significantly preferred them to the HD650, and that's stuck with me ever since.

I first heard the SR-009 a few weeks ago after comparing HD800/L3000/Qualia/Orpheus. It was immediately apparent that the 009 exists on a higher plane of refinement and resolution, and I was immediately impressed by this. A subsequent listening session allowed me to discover their musicality as well. Give it another chance; sometimes gear impresses immediately and sometimes it takes a 2nd or 3rd chance (rare, but I've had that happen too).

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2,642 of 25,558
  Hi all!

Well, I had an old Stax Sr-5 that I have started using again after discovering the possibilities of portable DAPs. I am currently listening to the Fiio X5. 

While waiting for the Stax 507, I succumbed to temptation and bought a SR-009. I am currently listening to them. I am a bit disappointed. Do not take me wrong: the middle and low frequency in the 1812 Overture are impressive and I realize I am listening to music in its purest form. Having said that, I find them so neutral that I miss the SR-5 "brightness".....I am using a SRM-T1S....

The question is, am I mad? 

Best

Jose

I've walked the same path...damn used to SR-5, and blasting wallet madness with SR-009.
I wasn't disappointed at all :extension, details, bass slam, soundstage, etc...but yes, you lose the extreme mid fun / voice-friendly tone of these brave old SR-5.
Now I'm used to SR-009, and since I still find SR-5 pleasant, they are definitely kind of a boy versus the full-grown adult SR-009.

Ali

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #2,643 of 25,558

I would say to give them more time. When I first listened to the 009, I really didn't think it was better than the HD 800 I owned at the time, but gradually I got used to it's sound and when I listened to the HD 800's again after only listening to the 009 for several weeks, the HD 800 sounded rather boring and veiled (in comparison). I ended up selling them a few months later mainly because I just stopped listening to them for the most part. Of course it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Yup. HD 800 is just so meh in comparison.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #2,644 of 25,558
  Hi all!

Well, I had an old Stax Sr-5 that I have started using again after discovering the possibilities of portable DAPs. I am currently listening to the Fiio X5. 

While waiting for the Stax 507, I succumbed to temptation and bought a SR-009. I am currently listening to them. I am a bit disappointed. Do not take me wrong: the middle and low frequency in the 1812 Overture are impressive and I realize I am listening to music in its purest form. Having said that, I find them so neutral that I miss the SR-5 "brightness".....I am using a SRM-T1S....

Best

Jose

The SR009's treble is a little subdued from the Stax of old, also the upper mids aren't quite as forward as on Lambdas. They're by no means lacking in extension or upper end energy, but it's not surprising that you noticed a difference in a back and forth.

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #2,645 of 25,558
  Hi all!

Best

Jose

No you're not. Don't take the price of a headphone as a benchmark to sound quality. Your personal sound quality is what matters the most. I personally was not a fan of SR-009s bass and presentation so I sold it, I much prefer the lower end Stax phones in comparison.

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,647 of 25,558
This is similar to my experience. I tried the HD800 and thought "this has got serious potential" then I tried the 009 and I realised I couldn't live without them.

Yeah, the sound of electrostatics with a good source and amplification has really spoiled me. It's sometimes hard to imagine trading this type of sound for that from a flagship dynamic can.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #2,648 of 25,558
I came from the Lambda Nova Basic to Lambda Nova Sigma to 007s Mk2s to 009s. The SQ has been a a steady progression upwards for me in my set up. Though as regards signature or character, I would say the 009s are more like a 507 on steroids as opposed to a better version of the 007s.

It is the detail, the depth of stage and placement of instruments that puts the 009s well ahead of the 007s. I did like the 007s though, and can see (my guess) what the design philosophy of them might be i.e. to tame a digital front end and generally smooth things over and add a realistic bass response for the first time in the line up.

Don't get me wrong, there is bass in the 507s and earlier Lambdas, but it is more filling in as opposed to a big part of the sound.

Maybe the 009s are taking the best of the Lamda Nova signatures I liked at that time so much, and adding much more on top?

If there is a flaw with the 009s, it could be they produce what is there without any brakes or hold ups - it is is a bright recording it will be right in your face bright.
If it has bass saturation as many dance tracks do, it will give you shed loads of bass.

I think it is like a performance car, subtle touches of the accelerator produce marked speed changes. If we looked at a 200K speaker system, that would have the same effect.,
load passages would have the neighbours banging on the door. You get where I am coming from? It is the dynamic capability of the drivers in the 009s, all that headroom and ultra
low distortion. Plus they are easier to drive and like a 98DB speaker, hit hard when required, not needing a massive amp to get the impact.

So, to me, to get the best from the 009s does need a clean and smooth front end. Any digital edge will be heard and be an irritation. They don't emphasise that as much as
the Lambdas did IMO but there is nowhere to hide with the 009s, it is a stethoscope to the source for sure.

Of course, the reward for this is good and great recording have you lost in the music, the connection is remarkable. And it is this I love them for. Yes the 007s were kinder to all tracks, but came with a caveat - they distanced you from the music and put a warm glow or screen between you and the music.

I am thinking of buying some 507s though, for my 'portable' rig. I am nervous about lugging the 009s around in the car.

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #2,650 of 25,558

009 + Car = does not compute. Unless of course you're Bill Gates.

+1. I can see the BHSE on the front seat passenger side 
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #2,651 of 25,558
Yeah but my hearing is better than Bill Gates.

No, I meant to say when I staying away from home for a month or more. Kinda miss the tunes and it is nice to have a second rig for such occasions. Lets face it Telly is crap, apart from The Walking Dead series....

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #2,652 of 25,558
I am thinking of buying some 507s though, for my 'portable' rig. I am nervous about lugging the 009s around in the car.

I think the noise on the road kills most of the the difference between the 507 and 009, even when you drive a super-silent car. Good that they both are acoustically transparent and won't distract you from hearing what happens on the road. I also tried using noise-cancelling headphones (QC15) on the long lonely rides on motorway (not much danger around), and although they are so inferior in room silence, I like them the most in that noisy environment. It just provides much more of a zen-mood for driving than better headphones paired with much higher background noise.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #2,653 of 25,558
Yeah but my hearing is better than Bill Gates.

No, I meant to say when I staying away from home for a month or more. Kinda miss the tunes and it is nice to have a second rig for such occasions. Lets face it Telly is crap, apart from The Walking Dead series....

A Pelican case would probably be a good idea. One big enough to fit both the BHSE and 009.

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #2,655 of 25,558
A Pelican case would probably be a good idea. One big enough to fit both the BHSE and 009.

I think the pelican would resent having to share the space.

Maybe you could tap off some of the spark plug coil's high voltage, store / smooth it with capacitors & diodes and use it for headphone bias... 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back