The Stax Thread III
Jul 3, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #2,656 of 25,567
Hey, this has got me fired up! Could I run a main cable to my sun chairs? That would be nice.
Some gaffer tape round the 240V connections should be ok right?

Jul 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #2,657 of 25,567
Hey, this has got me fired up! Could I run a main cable to my sun chairs? That would be nice.
Some gaffer tape round the 240V connections should be ok right?

Actually you can use a small-ish 12 volt battery (motorcycle battery would do, or some gel-cell purchased off eBay) and a $50 power inverter to produce "line current" type power to run a Stax rig at the beach.  I suspect a well-charged motorcyle battery would easily run the Stax amp and a digital player for many hours, and wouldn't be very heavy or large- fit in a backpack, surely, or beach carry-all.

Some power inverters might generate a lot of noise on their power outputs, though, and you might end up with a buzz or a whine coming through. I think you'd have to try out the lower-cost inverter first to see if it's acceptable. Using a "pure sine" inverter would minimize this.  A 350 watt "pure sine" inverter is about $100.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2,659 of 25,567
I just got a Woo WEE a few weeks ago.  I had them put a normal and pro bias on it.  I have been listening to my Lambda normal bias plugged directly into it and its working just fine.

I go and get my extension cables that I have been using with the SRD7/SB since 198X something (the package says it was model SRE15N, yes I still have it
biggrin.gif
).
But I see that there are only 5 pins??? WTH?? Now I am know I am being paranoid, and the earspeakers have been just fine all these years, BUT, now that I am using a powered energizer, the Woo WEE, I have to ask the gurus here.  Is it ok to use the 5 pin cable with normal bias plug on the WEE?  I have looked around for the pin out to understand what eh middle pin is for but have come up empty, I even went back through the original stax threads looking and can not find anything.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #2,660 of 25,567
It's all fine just NEVER use a normal bias Stax from a pro bias. The 6th pin does nothing to my knowledge, and if anything it carries bias voltage.

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,662 of 25,567
  I just got a Woo WEE a few weeks ago.  I had them put a normal and pro bias on it.  I have been listening to my Lambda normal bias plugged directly into it and its working just fine.

I go and get my extension cables that I have been using with the SRD7/SB since 198X something (the package says it was model SRE15N, yes I still have it
biggrin.gif
).
But I see that there are only 5 pins??? WTH?? Now I am know I am being paranoid, and the earspeakers have been just fine all these years, BUT, now that I am using a powered energizer, the Woo WEE, I have to ask the gurus here.  Is it ok to use the 5 pin cable with normal bias plug on the WEE?  I have looked around for the pin out to understand what eh middle pin is for but have come up empty, I even went back through the original stax threads looking and can not find anything.

Former Stax extension cables used to have 5-pin male plug and 6-pin female plug. Thus, you may use it for all Stax gear...but you have to be extremely careful, never plug normal bias phones on a pro output with this cable 
wink.gif

Ali

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2,663 of 25,567
Ok thanks guys, was just a making sure.
  Former Stax extension cables used to have 5-pin male plug and 6-pin female plug. Thus, you may use it for all Stax gear...but you have to be extremely careful, never plug normal bias phones on a pro output with this cable 
wink.gif

Ali

It's all fine just NEVER use a normal bias Stax from a pro bias. The 6th pin does nothing to my knowledge, and if anything it carries bias voltage.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #2,665 of 25,567

Is there anyone here who knows Russian and would be so kind to translate what he says in this video? 
tongue.gif

I've used google translate and read the article that's in the youtube video's description, but I'm curious what he says in video. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #2,667 of 25,567
  Is there anyone here who knows Russian and would be so kind to translate what he says in this video? 
tongue.gif

I'll give it a shot. I've never done running translation like this before, so it might be a bit rough. Bear with me. :wink: I'll record times from the video in case you want to watch and read along.

"Testing Stax [headphones]. Here is the classic model [points at 307s], the previous flagship, model 007, and the new flagship, model 009. The source is [a brand or model I can't make out], and we have two amplifiers, one solid state and one vacuum tube [he doesn't say what models]. We obviously prefer tubes. But let me try to figure this out: [0:52] what distinguishes the three headphone models: 009, 007, and 307? Everyone knows these [points at 307s], they're Stax classics, but does the new flagship sound 10 times better than the classic model? Because it certainly costs 10 times more. [1:23] Technologically, everything is the same: electrostatic transducers, except these are rectangular [holds up 307s], and these are round [points at 009s]. [shrugs, puts on 307s] Classic Stax sound, incredibly transparent, wide ["large scale"], beautiful, everything is great. Now the 007s [puts them on, 1:41]. [1:53] A bit more detail, there's a certain elegance in the presentation... [1:59] 009s. And here is also space [spreads his arms wide at 2:07], and breath... [2:17] Well guys, if you don't have money for monitors from [some brand I can't make out] or speakers from [another brand; I either have don't know these speaker companies or don't recognize their Russified names], then... you just have to spend the same amount of money on headphones! [fade out and in] It should be obvious that the sound you've been hearing in the video clip has nothing to do with the sound I heard from these headphones. I had to substitute a fake for the video, because I couldn't have recorded from inside my ears... could I?"

One of the comments on the video points out that the guy in the video seems to have worn the 009s backwards. Which means they should have been uncomfortable and didn't seal properly.

The accompanying article only discusses the 007s. Very little new information here. The author basically loves them, and spends most of the text explaining how electrostatic transducers work, and notes a bit about their history. Notes that conventional headphones he used to love don't sound so great anymore, not after listening to Stax. He also talks about the measurements, noting that treble fall-off in the FR chart (NB: I didn't look for any other measurements of 007s to see if the graphs look reasonable), but says he doesn't really feel it. (Which surprises me: my brief time with 007s made me think they're rather dark, compared to 009s and SR-Omegas.)

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2,668 of 25,567
  I'll give it a shot. I've never done running translation like this before, so it might be a bit rough. Bear with me. :wink: I'll record times from the video in case you want to watch and read along.

"Testing Stax [headphones]. Here is the classic model [points at 307s], the previous flagship, model 007, and the new flagship, model 009. The source is [a brand or model I can't make out], and we have two amplifiers, one solid state and one vacuum tube [he doesn't say what models]. We obviously prefer tubes. But let me try to figure this out: [0:52] what distinguishes the three headphone models: 009, 007, and 307? Everyone knows these [points at 307s], they're Stax classics, but does the new flagship sound 10 times better than the classic model? Because it certainly costs 10 times more. [1:23] Technologically, everything is the same: electrostatic transducers, except these are rectangular [holds up 307s], and these are round [points at 009s]. [shrugs, puts on 307s] Classic Stax sound, incredibly transparent, wide ["large scale"], beautiful, everything is great. Now the 007s [puts them on, 1:41]. [1:53] A bit more detail, there's a certain elegance in the presentation... [1:59] 009s. And here is also space [spreads his arms wide at 2:07], and breath... [2:17] Well guys, if you don't have money for monitors from [some brand I can't make out] or speakers from [another brand; I either have don't know these speaker companies or don't recognize their Russified names], then... you just have to spend the same amount of money on headphones! [fade out and in] It should be obvious that the sound you've been hearing in the video clip has nothing to do with the sound I heard from these headphones. I had to substitute a fake for the video, because I couldn't have recorded from inside my ears... could I?"

One of the comments on the video points out that the guy in the video seems to have worn the 009s backwards. Which means they should have been uncomfortable and didn't seal properly.

The accompanying article only discusses the 007s. Very little new information here. The author basically loves them, and spends most of the text explaining how electrostatic transducers work, and notes a bit about their history. Notes that conventional headphones he used to love don't sound so great anymore, not after listening to Stax. He also talks about the measurements, noting that treble fall-off in the FR chart (NB: I didn't look for any other measurements of 007s to see if the graphs look reasonable), but says he doesn't really feel it. (Which surprises me: my brief time with 007s made me think they're rather dark, compared to 009s and SR-Omegas.)

Thank you gepardcv, that's more than a great enough effort. It appears that he likes STAX headphones in general. 
redface.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #2,669 of 25,567

Wow, what a fantastic job of translation!  Impressive.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #2,670 of 25,567

OK, thank you. 

Do you agree with the earlier statements that there is no concern about using the cables with Normal bias plug from the WEE?

will be fine other than the mismatch between real stax jacks and the amphenol parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back