The Stax Thread III
Feb 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #14,386 of 25,487

You need one cable from Mojo to Stax SRM-006TS, one like this:

35mm2xrca5m.jpg

http://www.vesalia.de/pic/35mm2xrca5m.jpg

You can find better looking cables, more expensive models, but this is what you need!
All this BS presented here is laughable!
Do you really think using galvanic (mechanic) adapters between a single ended output to XLR input will improve the sound, over using a straight connection from the single ended 3.5mm output to the RCA inputs ?

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #14,387 of 25,487
I also thought depending on the dac/amp combo using an rca to xlr could be risky?

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #14,388 of 25,487
Why even get into high end headphones if a pair of 1000$ active speakers + dac to your ears beats out the TOTL headphones? lol

Because that’s BS. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to listen to monitors over a Stax/BHSE

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #14,390 of 25,487
What's risky about it? Even Spritzer said one can use an RCA to XLR adapter for his amp without any problem.

i don't mind risky if one can tell me there is a benefit using that

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #14,391 of 25,487
No need to connect shield at the RCA end. You can just leave it there covered up. The deflected interferences will be drained by the XLR properly and minimize noises to get to the RCA end.

What is the point ? Not sure. But if you need to feed your XLR 3 amplifier from a single ended source that utilizes RCA, then it is an option

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #14,392 of 25,487
Well, my opinion would be that the best amp YOU can afford is the best amp for your Stax. In my case, 353X is the most I'm likely to ever spend, so that is what I purchased. I would have LOVED to do Jim's SRX-Plus build for probably about the same cost, but I've never picked up a soldering iron in my life :p

I only have experience with 2 Stax headphones (SR-207 and L700), and 3 Stax amps (252S, SRM-1/Mk2 Pro, and 353X). And that's because I own them all, as like you, I have zero chance to audition anywhere near me. More than that, no meets I can travel to either. Sucks to work weekends :p

I can say that both 207 and L700 benefit to my ears as you climb the bottom 3 rungs of the amp ladder. I have no illusions that my 3 energisers *aren't* the bottom 3 rungs. And you know what? I'm completely happy with my experience :)

I took a hard look at my finances, and didn't see myself ever purchasing 007 or 009 (only talking about the phones themselves here). That restricted me to the Lambda series, and I took a leap of faith on L700 when I found the right "barely used" deal. Money talks, and I'm a sucker for a good price!

I then had to ask myself what the most I would be willing to spend on an amp was, and the answer was 353X. So you see, I'm happy because I already have my endgame setup! I actually have pretty much stopped even looking, though of course I still read and chat here. If money was no object........then hell yes, sign me up for 009 and DIY T2 :) But money *IS* an object, and in my case, an immovable object.

I postulate that my current L700/353X setup is better than what 99% of the world's population will hear in their lifetime. Better Stax systems cut further into that final 1%, but for myself I have found my stopping point and I've switched focus to my home theater ATM. I humbly submit that the $5K I just spent on subwoofers give me greater overall enjoyment than the step up to a $5K Stax amp (from my current setup) would. And I have to add that my headphone rig and home theater are independent systems in different rooms. One has to make choices!

Can you compare how the 3 different energizers affect the L700? I'm considering going for the L300 Limited (and theoretically should be close to the L700), and I'm curious how much benefit there is in going from a 252S to and SRM-1/Mk2 or 353X?

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #14,395 of 25,487
What's risky about it? Even Spritzer said one can use an RCA to XLR adapter for his amp without any problem. The negative and ground of the xlr are tied together at the RCA sleeve.

That is why I put it in the form of a question. I had been told that but I did not understand why there would be an issue. So the clarification is helpful, thanks.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #14,396 of 25,487
Can anyone direct me to the biasing process for the srm-007tII?

AFAIK there isn't a published biasing process for the SRM-007, however the biasing for the T1/006 series is similar, see thread here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tube-change-biasing-a-stax-006t-ii.415385/

IIRC, TVR1 adjusts the voltages between the + and - outputs for each channel, and the voltage probes should be inserted between the + and - outputs of either channel and adjusted to close to zero as possible.

TVR2 adjusts the voltages of the outputs to be close to zero volts with respect to ground - one voltage probe should be inserted into either th + or - output of a channel, and the other voltage probe should be connected to chassis ground.

The 007 has two additional adjustment pots, TVR3 and TVR4 - they adjust the plate voltages for the two sections of each 6CG7/6FQ7 to be equal to each other. Connect a voltmeter between both TP1 points or both TP2 points and adjust TVR3 and TVR4 so that the voltage between the two is zero.

There will be some thermal drift as the amp warms up, and there will also be some change between the voltage with the cover on and the cover off. For the T1, Stax specifies within +/-15 volts of zero as acceptable.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #14,397 of 25,487
That is why I put it in the form of a question. I had been told that but I did not understand why there would be an issue. So the clarification is helpful, thanks.
The issue may happen when you use a balanced output into a single ended input. Rule of thumbs is to only do single ended out and split into balanced in, and not balanced out to joined into single ended in . That is why this is only useful when you have a DAC that has only RCA output and you need to feed a balanced XLR amplifier

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #14,398 of 25,487
Not sure if this is still a relevant issue for recent hardware, but Japan uses XLR pin 2 for hot and pin 3 for cold, while some older XLR equipment in USA might still use pin 2 for cold and pin 3 for hot signal. You might run into some issues if you end up grounding the wrong signal when going XLR -> RCA.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #14,399 of 25,487
Man am I liking the Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 and NAD C275BEE combo more and more as I'm getting more acquainted with it. Just been listening to Pendulum 'Hold Your Colour' album, and am astonished at the detail and dynamics it has coming out of the ESP950... that is one album which really lets you know how good your gear is - album quality scales with your equipment - doesn't sound good out of a stock Denon AH-D2000 straight from an older iPod, sounds REALLY good from a modded TH-X00PH out of Gustard X20U DAC and modded H10 amp, and EXTREMELY good out of the ESP950 from Gustard X20U DAC and Mjolnir Audio SRD-7/ NAD C275BEE combo. I have the used SR-L300 coming in tomorrow so I can finally have a direct comparison to the ESP950.

i-3pJM5dh-X3.jpg

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #14,400 of 25,487
Hello people of Stax land, I have a question about electrostats but more specifically STAX type. As the diaphragm is coated along with the general fragility of the product to the enviromental woes of the world I was wondering how long I can expect a good STAX rig to last. Like say do the Lambdas have a better lifespan than the SR009 and Omega-2? And is it worn down by using it or does letting it lay dormant cause more damage? And by using I mean within conventional listening levels like no higher than 80DB and used everyday being treated proper as in on a stand with dust cover while not is use. I really want to get a TOTL SR-009 rig but the lifespan has worried me with the one year warrenty along with the reports of electrostats developing imbalances down the line even while being treated well. Anyhelp is appreciated, thankyou!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back