The Stax Thread III
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #14,356 of 25,487
Short update as I haven’t been here in a while. Earlier this week, after some deliberation, I pulled the trigger on a pair of 007 mk1s, which will come (as a package) with a T1 amp as well.

My hope - as I haven’t been able to hear the mk1s yet - is that they will improve on the sound I get from my L700 and 006T, at least at the modest to moderate levels I listen at. I will likely sell on the T1 or 006T (depending on which one sounds best) and the L700s, and put the combined funds towards a KGSSHV Mini from Mjolnir (I’ve been in talks :wink: ).

Has anyone compared the L700 to the 007 mk1 out of either the T1 or the 006T? How’d that work out? I’m hoping that it won’t be a retrograde step, although I’m confident that the 007s with the KGSSHV Mini will be a better ‘end game’ setup than would the L700 and KGSSHV Mini.

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #14,357 of 25,487
Short update as I haven’t been here in a while. Earlier this week, after some deliberation, I pulled the trigger on a pair of 007 mk1s, which will come (as a package) with a T1 amp as well.

My hope - as I haven’t been able to hear the mk1s yet - is that they will improve on the sound I get from my L700 and 006T, at least at the modest to moderate levels I listen at. I will likely sell on the T1 or 006T (depending on which one sounds best) and the L700s, and put the combined funds towards a KGSSHV Mini from Mjolnir (I’ve been in talks :wink: ).

Has anyone compared the L700 to the 007 mk1 out of either the T1 or the 006T? How’d that work out? I’m hoping that it won’t be a retrograde step, although I’m confident that the 007s with the KGSSHV Mini will be a better ‘end game’ setup than would the L700 and KGSSHV Mini.

Thanks!

L700 out of 006tA is very good. 007mk1 out of 006tA is no no. it will sound very soft. but somepeople prefer it for BGM listening.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #14,358 of 25,487
Class A+: DIY T2

Class A: BHSE, KGSS Carbon, Grounded grid, Megatron

Class B: KGST, KGSSHV, SRX-Plus

Class C: KGSS

Class D: Stax amps.
moonblood9.gif

Ali

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #14,359 of 25,487
Agreed however, at least here Stateside, it is virtually impossible to demo Stax. Unfortunately I can only comment on what I heard at a brief demo at CanJam, so yes, take all of my comments with a grain of salt. With that said, since I am considering dipping my toes into the Stax world, the only criteria I have to use, as well as the other poster Sound EQ, is what ever limited demo I (and he) had and a perusing of the inter webs to gather various opinions.

With that said one thing I did come across on the "inter webs" is that the 700 requires a better amp than the 353. I read that from several different posters. So if one is considering an intro Stax amp, as I am, than that has some credibility.

At CanJam Woo also had the top of the line Stax solid state amplifier with a 007 or 009 connected to it (I forget which one). I do know that during my time at the booth there were multiple people who sat down at that demo station and just about everyone came away shaking their head in a negative way - no one I saw was happy with that demo.

Now - a demo of the 009 with Blue Hawaii at the HeadAmp booth - I did that one last year and this year. No shaking the head there - extremely impressive.

Well, my opinion would be that the best amp YOU can afford is the best amp for your Stax. In my case, 353X is the most I'm likely to ever spend, so that is what I purchased. I would have LOVED to do Jim's SRX-Plus build for probably about the same cost, but I've never picked up a soldering iron in my life :p

I only have experience with 2 Stax headphones (SR-207 and L700), and 3 Stax amps (252S, SRM-1/Mk2 Pro, and 353X). And that's because I own them all, as like you, I have zero chance to audition anywhere near me. More than that, no meets I can travel to either. Sucks to work weekends :p

I can say that both 207 and L700 benefit to my ears as you climb the bottom 3 rungs of the amp ladder. I have no illusions that my 3 energisers *aren't* the bottom 3 rungs. And you know what? I'm completely happy with my experience :)

I took a hard look at my finances, and didn't see myself ever purchasing 007 or 009 (only talking about the phones themselves here). That restricted me to the Lambda series, and I took a leap of faith on L700 when I found the right "barely used" deal. Money talks, and I'm a sucker for a good price!

I then had to ask myself what the most I would be willing to spend on an amp was, and the answer was 353X. So you see, I'm happy because I already have my endgame setup! I actually have pretty much stopped even looking, though of course I still read and chat here. If money was no object........then hell yes, sign me up for 009 and DIY T2 :) But money *IS* an object, and in my case, an immovable object.

I postulate that my current L700/353X setup is better than what 99% of the world's population will hear in their lifetime. Better Stax systems cut further into that final 1%, but for myself I have found my stopping point and I've switched focus to my home theater ATM. I humbly submit that the $5K I just spent on subwoofers give me greater overall enjoyment than the step up to a $5K Stax amp (from my current setup) would. And I have to add that my headphone rig and home theater are independent systems in different rooms. One has to make choices!

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #14,361 of 25,487
Why even get into high end headphones if a pair of 1000$ active speakers + dac to your ears beats out the TOTL headphones? lol

Apples vs oranges. Define "beat", and specify the music you have tested with :).

Of course it is not mandatory to get high end headphones. The "why" is always a good question :).

I have [had] active speakers (Linn, Dynaudio and Genelec), passive speakers, built speakers, I am a speakers guy, mainly for the sound stage and realistic physical impact, but I am totally sold on good headphones. Not only for convenience, but presentation, too. For instrumental music, personally I have not heard sound quality anything near to my best headphone setup, not even from systems (speakers, cables, amps, sources, room treatment) costing in the high 6 to low 7 figures. That is 3 orders of magnitude difference.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #14,363 of 25,487

Thanks!

I think you will really like the 007 when you get them properly powered. I have never heard them on anything other than a BHSE from which they are fantastic. I have seen a number of people make first hand comments about their sound out of a stock T1/006ts and while the details often conflict the theme is always the same, very disappointing.

Don't let what you hear from your current setup color your opinion of the 007 too much, if you can get the kgsshv before you have to sell either of the headphones that would be the way to go. While the consensus is that 007 is the superior headphone, the consensus also says the these two headphones sound quite different. Because of this I think running them side by side on a good amp is needed. who knows maybe aspects of the L700 sound continue to draw you in more.

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #14,364 of 25,487
anyway for both loudspaker and/or headphone, this hobby can be endless...I'm not sure if it's good or bad...Lol

Both. Good because you have endless options. Bad because your journey is going to be a long one. While there are many electrostatic headphones to choose from electrostatic energizer's are sort of few and far between. But then you can get into tubes which can be quite the rabbit hole imo.

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #14,366 of 25,487
I see that every Mjolnir amplifier only provides for balanced XLR inputs. Entry level Stax amps such as the 353 provide for RCA inputs.
Do the majority of Stax users to balanced out from their DAC's to their energizers? Is using RCA out from the DAC a no no? And if so what DAC'S are people using as many do not have balanced out options

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #14,368 of 25,487
I have an Exogal Comet, it has a balance out. I also have an Oppo 95 that has balance out. You can get a female RCA to male XLR adapter.

can you please one frm ebay

how can connect mojo in that way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back