The Stax Thread III
Dec 9, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #13,576 of 25,560
So in my head, its more a question of the scalability of the headphones. If the L300 scales massively, getting a better amp could be a great improvement to a great pair of headphones. If they don't, the L700 via the 252 would clearly sound superior either way (assuming L700 > L300, which I cannot say for sure of course).
Okay, so my 727A modded arrived, and I figured it would be useful to post some impressions with the L300 compared to the 252S. HUGE caveat with these impressions: my L300 headband is broken. I've ordered the replacement, but who knows when it will arrive (someone on reddit said they ordered it a month ago and has not heard anything). So with these impressions I either have to: hold both of the "cups" to my ears and when I want to switch, it's very slow to do, or, only use one channel but am able to switch faster. I've done both, and while I've for sure decided that this is a terrible way to get a good impression, but I wanted to know how well they compared today rather than in a month.

So, yes, the L300's are better with the 727A. But by how much? Well, considering the price difference, it's totally not worth it for an L300, unless you specifically love the sound signature of the L300 and would want that over getting a better pair of Estats, OR, you listen loudly. The 252S, while a fantastic value, is awful at high volumes. Pushing it near its limit just produces so much distortion, while the 727 handles that volume flawlessly. Interestingly, I didn't notice an actual volume jump at all between the amps: it's all in how well it pushes the earspeakers. And it does do it quite a bit better. But it's mostly just noticeable at high volume levels. Before about 12 o'clock on the amps, there's not a big difference at all. In fact, had I not been looking for a difference, I don't think I'd have deduced the 727 was better. Past 12 o'clock, it does become more noticeable, but it's dependent on the song, and the difference is not large until the 252S really starts to struggle.

Would I use a 727 with an L300? Well yes, I'm doing it right now. But only in the mindsets that either: the L300 is my endgame and I want to push it loud, OR, I'm getting a more high-end pair of earspeakers in the future and it makes sense in the situation to buy the amp first, which was the case for me. And that's mostly only true because I'm getting 007's, which need all the power they can get. With another lambda, the 252S will always be cheap but functional.

And I must say, if this is what the modded 727 sounds like, I can't imagine how bad the regular 727 is. Would not recommend without the mod.

But just let me reiterate: considering the headband is broken, do not take any of this as fact. Considering I'll be able to both listen properly and switch fast with the headband, differences are going to become far clearer. But I don't have that yet, so this will have to do, and if the headband comes any time soon, I'll plan on posting updated impressions.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #13,578 of 25,560
Dear Sirs,

I would like to purchase/assemble a high quality portable electrostatic set.

What is the STAX SRS-002 like ? Saw this is portable but do not really fancy in-ear.

I would really like to use the STAX SR-L700 ...or at least the L300...but with what STAX portable amplifier could I use it ? Is the STAX SRM-353x Driver Unit portable ?

I have even looked into the KingSound KS-04 and M-03 - Any good ?

Could this combo work; STAX SR-L700 and KS M-03 ? Or better in that case stick to the KingSound assembly ?

Could the music source in these cases be TIDAL coming from an IPHONE -7 ? Can the IPHONE-7 be connected to these amplifiers ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #13,579 of 25,560
If you start at around this post (goes from about July or so through about Sept 2017) there is a discussion on the kingsound portable:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-iii.677809/page-820#post-13582386

Dear Sirs,

What is the STAX SRS-002 like ? Saw this is portable but do not really fancy in-ear.

I would really like to use the STAX SR-L700 ...or at least the L300...but with what STAX portable amplifier could I use it ? Is the STAX SRM-353x Driver Unit portable ?

Could this combo work; STAX SR-L700 and KS M-03 ? Or better in that case stick to the KingSound assembly ?

Could the music source in these cases be TIDAL coming from an IPHONE -7 ? Can the IPHONE-7 be connected to these amplifiers ?

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #13,581 of 25,560
With my A&K SP1000 received today, my portable battery operated Stax set-up is now complete :darthsmile: . Ready to go....

Dear Sirs,

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #13,582 of 25,560
Dear Sirs,

These are just my thoughts, if you're not into in-ear, with current offerings I think a portable electrostatic Stax setup isn't going to give you the most out of any of the desktop Stax headphones - regardless of SR-009, SR-007, L700, L300, etc. Sure it can be done but IMHO, it's more a proof of concept rather than for actual audio satisfaction. I don't know about other electrostatic brands. But if portable is a priority, you're better off with other technologies than electrostatics (or, go look at the Shure KSE1500).

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #13,583 of 25,560
Sound wise, the SRS-002 is warmer than the L series. I actually prefer them to the L300 (on the edge on the L500, but L700 is better).
So it might work if you are sensitive to treble. However, most complaints of the portable stax comes from the comfort.
It is more of a transportable system and not a portable system....

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #13,584 of 25,560
These are just my thoughts, if you're not into in-ear, with current offerings I think a portable electrostatic Stax setup isn't going to give you the most out of any of the desktop Stax headphones - regardless of SR-009, SR-007, L700, L300, etc. Sure it can be done but IMHO, it's more a proof of concept rather than for actual audio satisfaction. I don't know about other electrostatic brands. But if portable is a priority, you're better off with other technologies than electrostatics (or, go look at the Shure KSE1500).

Dear AnakChan thank you for your valuable opinions. The thing is I have tried other technologies and am not satisfied particularly with the transparency.

What is the STAX SRS-002 Earspeaker System like ?...although in ear...maybe I should reconsider it.

Best regards,
Robert

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #13,585 of 25,560
Sound wise, the SRS-002 is warmer than the L series. I actually prefer them to the L300 (on the edge on the L500, but L700 is better).
So it might work if you are sensitive to treble. However, most complaints of the portable stax comes from the comfort.
It is more of a transportable system and not a portable system....

Dear ZFojira thank you for your opinion. I really only need a transportable system - from one room of the house to another - and not a portable system.

The SRS-002 is in ear, I understand. Is it really that uncomfortable ? What is the sound like of the STAX SRS-002 ---Earspeaker SR-002 + SRM-002 Combo ?

Thank you !

Best

Dec 11, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #13,586 of 25,560
Dear ZFojira thank you for your opinion. I really only need a transportable system - from one room of the house to another - and not a portable system.

The SRS-002 is in ear, I understand. Is it really that uncomfortable ? What is the sound like of the STAX SRS-002 ---Earspeaker SR-002 + SRM-002 Combo ?

Thank you !

Best

It's more on-ear than in-ear, i.e. the tips sit outside the ear canal and not inside.
Overall the sound is quite nice, but it has some very strange properties. It is quite detailed (think HD800ish level), but with much smaller sound-stage (HE400ish) and low levels of separation and imaging.
When I first heard it, I was baffled to find that it was possible for something to sound detailed, yet have so little instrument separation.

FR-wise, it has a good sound of bass (not sub-bass, and not much rumble), and rolled of treble. You can think of it as a mid-centric earspeaker.
It does not give you the electrostatic-bite, i.e. it did not give me the feeling of it being fast, but it was very transparent and clean.

On sound alone, I would rate it as about the sound of a $800-$1kish price range over-ear headphone. I find it better to compare it with full-sized cans than iem as that is what they sound like.

I personally do not find it uncomfortable, but a lot of people do, so YMMV is really the best I can say. That said, I do find the SRS-001 and SR-003 more comfortable compared to the SRS-002.
I also prefer the sound of the 001 and 003 to the 002, as it has slightly less treble roll-off and slightly more bass roll-off.

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #13,587 of 25,560
It's more on-ear than in-ear, i.e. the tips sit outside the ear canal and not inside.
Overall the sound is quite nice, but it has some very strange properties. It is quite detailed (think HD800ish level), but with much smaller sound-stage (HE400ish) and low levels of separation and imaging.
When I first heard it, I was baffled to find that it was possible for something to sound detailed, yet have so little instrument separation.

FR-wise, it has a good sound of bass (not sub-bass, and not much rumble), and rolled of treble. You can think of it as a mid-centric earspeaker.
It does not give you the electrostatic-bite, i.e. it did not give me the feeling of it being fast, but it was very transparent and clean.

On sound alone, I would rate it as about the sound of a $800-$1kish price range over-ear headphone. I find it better to compare it with full-sized cans than iem as that is what they sound like.

I personally do not find it uncomfortable, but a lot of people do, so YMMV is really the best I can say. That said, I do find the SRS-001 and SR-003 more comfortable compared to the SRS-002.
I also prefer the sound of the 001 and 003 to the 002, as it has slightly less treble roll-off and slightly more bass roll-off.

Dear ZGojira, thank you for your very interesting, complete and detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

When you refer to the 003 do you refer to this combo: STAX SRS-005SMK2 (SR-003MK2+SRM-252S) ? Is it transportable system ?
What is the sound like ? Why do yo prefer it ?

Thanks once again for all your help.

Best regards !

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #13,588 of 25,560
Unfortunately, no. :sweat_smile:

I use my 003 with a 727A w/feedback mod. I have tried it once with a 252S and it was comparable to a SRS-001 system.
With the 727A, it sounds better but I don't think it's worth the price difference unless you have other STAX cans....

My Sr003 is not MK2, so it is the same as the sr001. The sr003MK2 is the same as the sr002.
I have a preference for brighter cans, hence I prefer the 001/003 over the 002/003mk2. To me, the 002/003mk2's treble rolls off too soon.

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #13,589 of 25,560
Unfortunately, no. :sweat_smile:

I use my 003 with a 727A w/feedback mod. I have tried it once with a 252S and it was comparable to a SRS-001 system.
With the 727A, it sounds better but I don't think it's worth the price difference unless you have other STAX cans....

My Sr003 is not MK2, so it is the same as the sr001. The sr003MK2 is the same as the sr002.
I have a preference for brighter cans, hence I prefer the 001/003 over the 002/003mk2. To me, the 002/003mk2's treble rolls off too soon.

Once again, what can I say: just a Big Thank You !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back