The Stax Thread III
Oct 7, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #13,081 of 25,541
Really beautiful setup mem; you've got some killer sources going there!! Damn, the Omega II's look sweet in black. Wish black was an option for 009.

In regards to the 6S4As, there was at least a mild-to-moderate difference in sound between the GE and RCA quads I used with my old KGST. I ended up preferring the RCA, but the GE was good too. Andy at VTS is pretty good about recommending good sounding tubes, and screening/matching them.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #13,082 of 25,541
Thanks! Yes I like the way they look in black too. The other thing I forgot to mention is how light they are. Very comfortable to wear for long listening sessions. I tried several pairs of Audeze headphones at a dealer and I could tell right away they were not going to work for me.

Andy is a treasure. I don’t like to promote him too much because I don’t want to have to compete with all you guys for tubes :wink:

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #13,084 of 25,541
I was going to add a kgss hv carbon to my listening position but I read about the new Ifi audio pro iesl and I have some doubts about it. Listening with a Viva Egoista and Burmester Rondò.

The Ifi iesl is a transformer and bias supply, conceptually similar to a Stax SRD-7 or Woo WEE, which needs to be driven by an amplifier. Now, why this needs a battery supply is unclear to me, unless it is for the bias supply - but in fact the bias needs voltage but little or no current, so a voltage multiplier such as Stax uses is more than adequate. In fact, a large capacitance/battery in this situation is a positive risk to the diaphragm, and Stax uses a 5 megohm resistor precisely to limit current going to the diaphragm.

The question is, which is best for driving electrostatic headphones, a dynamic headphone or speaker amplifier into a transformer, or a dedicated electrostatic amplifier. The majority opinion seems to be the latter - for example, Stax, who have been the most consistent supporters and developers of electrostatic headphones, and who began by supplying transformers to drive their headphones, stopped selling transformer units over 20 years ago in favor of dedicated amplifiers. Sennheiser's original flagship Orpheus HE90 headphones came with matching HEV90 amplifier. They didn't even offer a transformer box option. It's hard to argue that a transformer is superior in any way other than cost, and in fact the cheapest Stax amp is cheaper than either a Woo WEE or the iFi iESL, so even that is in question.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #13,086 of 25,541
273D2524-9CE4-4B39-8F61-A9E986216AB3.jpeg
In regards to the 6S4As, there was at least a mild-to-moderate difference in sound between the GE and RCA quads I used with my old KGST. I ended up preferring the RCA, but the GE was good too. Andy at VTS is pretty good about recommending good sounding tubes, and screening/matching them.

The quad I got from him are Tung-Sol. I use a lot of Tung-Sol 6550s in my home system’s amplifiers

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #13,088 of 25,541
The Ifi iesl is a transformer and bias supply, conceptually similar to a Stax SRD-7 or Woo WEE, which needs to be driven by an amplifier. Now, why this needs a battery supply is unclear to me, unless it is for the bias supply - but in fact the bias needs voltage but little or no current, so a voltage multiplier such as Stax uses is more than adequate. In fact, a large capacitance/battery in this situation is a positive risk to the diaphragm, and Stax uses a 5 megohm resistor precisely to limit current going to the diaphragm.

The question is, which is best for driving electrostatic headphones, a dynamic headphone or speaker amplifier into a transformer, or a dedicated electrostatic amplifier. The majority opinion seems to be the latter - for example, Stax, who have been the most consistent supporters and developers of electrostatic headphones, and who began by supplying transformers to drive their headphones, stopped selling transformer units over 20 years ago in favor of dedicated amplifiers. Sennheiser's original flagship Orpheus HE90 headphones came with matching HEV90 amplifier. They didn't even offer a transformer box option. It's hard to argue that a transformer is superior in any way other than cost, and in fact the cheapest Stax amp is cheaper than either a Woo WEE or the iFi iESL, so even that is in question.

you've been clear as the water, I do not think I'll be back on my decision and soon a kgss hv carbon will drive my Stax. I had the Wee and this has been the subject of measurements, its transformer has a nonlinear pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back