The Stax Thread III
Oct 4, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #13,051 of 25,473
True. If the spec is to be believed. Liked to see some hands on experience to validate.

I put that note in not to try in a BHSE or GG, as CYA with an unknown tube in a high voltage application.

I won’t be putting my money up first. But thought this was an interesting twist on current manufacture EL34 tubes.

I don't blame you one bit for your reluctance to try them out.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #13,053 of 25,473
I really envy you guys...I want to build my Carbon GG. I have already bought boards from Soren. but I have no knowledge to build...sad...lol

Building four boards is easy. All you need is an okay soldering iron and the ability to read part datasheets on mouser/digikey/arrow. The hard part is having a good case to put it into, and all the tools to power it up and check on things safely. But once you've done it for one amp, you've got all the stuff for any subsequent ones.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #13,054 of 25,473
You're not alone here in Tokyo. There's 2 other upcoming builders (me, you already know about, and another closet Head-Fier). We should sync up off line and work on our builds and maybe we could see who can make chassis for us too - not exactly bulk but having 3 built may be a little easier to find someone than a one-off.
Anakchan Yes its good idea! I will PM you. Thank you!

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #13,056 of 25,473
Just sounds a lot clearer to me. Which probably translates to smooth treble and tight bass. The lambdas often emphasize the treble on purpose to highlight it, though I prefer the more nuetral stat models. It's also important to note that while good bass is possible on a stat, it can be difficult to design for, which is not the case on dynamics and planars. Honestly, if stats didn't require specialized amps, I think they would totally dominate the market. But that's just a function of the tech they use. It's a little strange to me that they aren't a bigger share of the upper market, but I think that's a function of people looking in that range already having a normal setup they've invested a decent amount in and being leery of having to jump on a different technologic pathway.

That's why used Japanese stuff is good though. Less than two hundred bucks and you can usually snag an entry level set with amp. Another fifteen bucks for a regulated universal power supply and you got a stat setup for less than an HD600.

I will say one thing that gets overblown a bit. Entry level STAX is 95% as good as upper level. I like my 007 Mk I a lot, favorite stat in the world, but my old Lambda Spirit which was like a tenth of the cost is almost as good, small treble emphasis and less bass. And my old SRM-Xh with a custom power supply is as good as anything short of a modern KG build or an SRX.

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #13,057 of 25,473
Building four boards is easy. All you need is an okay soldering iron and the ability to read part datasheets on mouser/digikey/arrow. The hard part is having a good case to put it into, and all the tools to power it up and check on things safely. But once you've done it for one amp, you've got all the stuff for any subsequent ones.

Yes, the hardest parts is casing and metal works, together with problems solving....and safety measures. Simply put, if you don’t know how to diagnose and solve problems, you will have a big bump down the road, but then again....no one born with knowledge

Regarding those new EL34-D....each one is $300....I would rather buy NOS XF2 or so....lol

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #13,058 of 25,473
Woaaaa, no more Stax eh

Even though Stax is stationary and is inconvenient, but the performances when you have a correct setup is blissful Music ! Movies ! You name it ...... totally worth it

I must say, I do like your 2 chassis case, very fine. On thing I was curious about, how did you get the PS caps into the slim 2nd box? Maybe the caps on the GG are not as tall as on my CC? Have you any interior pics?

Oct 5, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #13,059 of 25,473
The caps used are shorter than those oversized in Carbon. This pic from the very first time I put her up together
D540ED01-48D6-4B46-870B-010BCE2E1765.jpeg

Oct 5, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #13,061 of 25,473
One question from a noob. Does a bigger transformer equate bigger power and hence greater reserves/headroom to provide greater dynamics (assuming all else is equal) or does it not matter for electrostatic amps?

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #13,062 of 25,473
One question from a noob. Does a bigger transformer equate bigger power and hence greater reserves/headroom to provide greater dynamics (assuming all else is equal) or does it not matter for electrostatic amps?

These KG amplifier designs work in class A mode. This means they draw constant power from the mains. The power doesn't vary with the music signal. So a bigger transformer wouldn't gain you any headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back