The Stax Thread III
Oct 5, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #13,066 of 25,541
These KG amplifier designs work in class A mode. This means they draw constant power from the mains. The power doesn't vary with the music signal. So a bigger transformer wouldn't gain you any headroom.

Actually, all electrostatic headphone amps work in Class A. That includes all the Stax amps, the Sennheiser HEV90, the SRX Plus, etc.

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #13,068 of 25,541
To TheAttorney (re: post 12981 of Sept.27th, Life After Stax) I would play with different cables for the HEKv2 to get around the EQ (and maybe even the crossfade).
Silver widow was superb on my Senn HD650, tightening the bass and making the upper-mid-to-high range more silky and less peaky. And Frank's customer service at Toxic is great. I used Toxic on my former Sennheiser phones and loved them.

On my HEKv2 with the Hugo TT (with and with and without external amping) I really like the Norne Draug 2. It let me drop the EQing I did to avoid a bit of glare in the HEK and again add transparency and tightness to the bass. It also adds more liquidity to vocals and strings.
The thing to focus on with the HEKv2 is liquidity in the mids. I like dynamics for liquidity (but the Audeze LCD4 has fine liquidity).

[Note: I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions that will undercut your goal of simplicity, and I will suggest you try the LCD4. Sorry to add to your anxiety. (FWIW I also have an 009 with a KGSS/mini.)]

Others here love (to the extreme) the Danacable Lazuli, but I have not heard it, so I have no idea personally.
But it appears to be much easier and faster to get than the Norne Draug and I would test it out if I were you just based on the enthusiasm for it.
(Norne also makes a higher end silver cable that is new and, well, awesome. Maybe try talking to Trevor. He is familiar with the HEK.)

Since you are from the Stax world, the headphone cable world may be a new experience for you. But I have developed the opinion that EQ is a patch that is best avoided vs. cable upgrades. The problems solved with EQ in my experience are far better attacked with good headphone cables.
When I get a good cable and I can turn off my EQ, I just go, Ahhhh..., this is much more natural and honest.
(I know this is controversial, but less so than politics, I hope.)

tl;dr summary: I love headphone cables and think they help tremendously and think it is a much better approach then EQ. Try Norne Draug2.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #13,069 of 25,541
To TheAttorney (re: post 12981 of Sept.27th, Life After Stax) I would play with different cables for the HEKv2 to get around the EQ (and maybe even the crossfade).
Silver widow was superb on my Senn HD650, tightening the bass and making the upper-mid-to-high range more silky and less peaky. And Frank's customer service at Toxic is great. I used Toxic on my former Sennheiser phones and loved them.

I fully agree with you on the importance of the cable and also on focusing on HEK's midrange, and also of avoiding DSP if possible. But this is moving too far from a Stax topic, so I'll keep my answer very brief here (and maybe we can continue more of this on the HEK thread?):

You may have missed that I actually own a Silver Widow and favourably reviewed it on the HEK thread. In short, I love it, and it does make the HF silkier etc, but no cable on earth can change the fact that the HEK has a very particular treble peak, as seen in Tyll's measurements of the V1.The 009 also has some peaks in different places, but they didn't bother me as much as the HEK peak.

I preferred the HEK V2 to the LCD4 on SQ, weight, comfort and price. So no contest for me, but everyone has different preferences, so I'm not saying one is objectively better than another.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #13,072 of 25,541
I have not heard it.

Still, from Birgir’s reputation for evolving and refining his amp designs, I’d wager the new less expensive KGSS is at least as good as, if not outdoing his earlier efforts.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #13,073 of 25,541
Opps, hard hats....

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #13,077 of 25,541
I just picked the ones I used because they fit the height restriction of my case, were cheap and had a good lifetime.

Yes, and same here. It is very hard to stretch on the Capacitors when slim and smaller factor need to be in place. Though, these Kemet has very high ripple current, 3-6A

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #13,078 of 25,541
Ok so I took the plunge and bought a pair of Stax SR-007 mkII headphones and the Woo Audio GES amp to drive them. This is my first experience with Stax headphones but I have owned SoundLab Electrostatic speakers for 15 years or so so I figured I would like them. I primarily use them at the office but have been bringing the whole rig home on weekends to monitor recordings of LPs that I don’t have on CD or that have poor sound quality on CD. (Not to open up that can of worms!). I record at 24/192 and then convert to 24/96 FLAC to load on my AK300 DAP. I have always recorded direct to my Tascam and bypass it’s internal volume controls so it was kind of a chore to record without good headphones to monitor with. Now I can at least enjoy good sound even if it isn’t the same experience I get with my SoundLabs.

I’m using the Purist Audio design 3.5mm to RCA with the AK300. I have been very happy with Purist Audio Design cables in my home system so decided to stick with them for this rig. I also use one of their more “entry level” power cords on the GES.

Woo Audio shipped my GES with the optional 12BZ7 tubes. I guess these are Russian? I didn’t bother with them or the stock 6S4As. I’ve been buying tubes from Andy at Vintage Tube Services for many years so I got him to send me a nice matched quad of 6S4As and since I have a lot of good vintage Telefunken 12AX7s in my spares I put a matched quad of them in instead of the 12BZ7s.

I am extremely happy with the results from this little system. It is perfect (maybe even overkill) for what I am using it for and makes work much more enjoyable to be able to have very good sound. It won’t ever replace my home system but if I had to one day radically downsize my life it would certainly make things better. And I’m recording lots of LPs. :).

Sorry but that’s all I have time for now. Will add some more thoughts on how the sound compares to previous headphones I have owned later if I get time.

edit: I tried to upload some pictures and they didn't make it. Trying again.
D4FBCAC4-6CE4-4930-BAA2-A2362098AE8C.jpeg
CFFDF922-1738-4468-98F8-684F84D6C948.jpeg
F4DE6B1E-23F9-401A-91A2-B97EE84D69B5.jpeg
13B766CB-129C-4A1C-AC16-DC652F7177E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #13,079 of 25,541
I didn’t bother with them or the stock 6S4As. I’ve been buying tubes from Andy at Vintage Tube Services for many years so I got him to send me a nice matched quad of 6S4As and since I have a lot of good vintage Telefunken 12AX7s in my spares I put a matched quad of them in instead of the 12BZ7s.

You do realize that 6S4As were designed to be used in tube TVs, so they are ALL OS or NOS. The ones you got from VTS are probably no better than the ones that came with the GES.

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #13,080 of 25,541
You do realize that 6S4As were designed to be used in tube TVs, so they are ALL OS or NOS. The ones you got from VTS are probably no better than the ones that came with the GES.

Sorry but just because a tube is old stock or new old stock means nothing if they aren't matched. A mismatched quad of NOS 6S4As is never going to sound as good as a matched quad. And yes I do know they are TV tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back