The Stax Thread III
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #12,556 of 25,542
Canorum 10.png

we are testing and comparing end of August Phenomenon Libratum/Canorum and 007mk1 ,maybe i report something ,phones will
tested with Quad Transdyn amplifier

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #12,557 of 25,542
Strange thing to increase the clamping force on the 009s as pads are a bit soft and thin (and not very angled) compared to 007. When I hear the effect on shrinking the cavity between eardrum and driver for the same driver (for instance from Sigma Pro to Lambda Signature), I would rather go the other way to get the more spacious feeling you may have with Sennheiser's stats, including HE-1. And also deal with the slight brightness / too fast character of 009, which is definitely accentuated when driver is closer to the ear.

Ali

Increased clamping force makes the recording space much easier to hear, by allowing your brain to more easily separate direct from reverberant sound. I *suspect* that the mechanism is that your head becomes an acoustic ground, or damper, for the ear cups, allowing them to move less in response to the motion of the diaphragms. Motion of the diaphragms puts force on the ear cups, both due to the minute mass but possibly more importantly due to radiation resistance (i.e., air pressure). As with loudspeakers, you want all of the structure except for the "cones" to be stationary. The very minute reactions of the cups appears (to me) to not only blur the distinction between direct and ambient sound, but also to blur the locations of performers (in one dimension) and the timbres of instruments (in quite a different dimension.) I agree, I need to try to find a pair of HE-1's to hear...

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #12,558 of 25,542
Not convinced (at all) through my experience, as this effect looks to me like second (or above) order compared to eardrum / driver distance, but maybe you're extremely sensitive to the softness of the pads (that's how I understand the effect you describe)...or your 009's pads are softer than mine.
@arnaud is an engineer and did some FE modelling of 009 driver, maybe he could give some clue about this.
In any case, Sennheiser's estat pads are significantly stiffer than Stax's :)

Ali

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #12,559 of 25,542
I can't perceive any changes in the cramping force of the 009 either...I do know for sure is that I need to wear my glasses so there is some vents out to further prevent Stax Fart...if I take out my glasses, it farts so often that it could blow my mind....that is some hell of a good sealing effects

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #12,560 of 25,542
I am reducing by half the lengh of my SR009 cable. I am feed up walking on thé 2,5 meter long cable. One day I will take me in the cable and damage my phone or my BHSE amp...

I have already desolded the wire, and I now start the cable lenght reduction. Next step will be to sold the (shorter) cable back

Question (expecialy for Stax maintenance approved people) : is Stax is using standard Tin soldering or some special soldering like Silver based soldering ?

IMG_5757 2.jpg IMG_5758.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #12,561 of 25,542
I am reducing by half the lengh of my SR009 cable. I am feed up walking on thé 2,5 meter long cable. One day I will take me in the cable and damage my phone or my amp...
Why would you do such a thing?
Why
wouldn't you have just folded the remains slack in the cable and used a small velcro strap to secure it to your amp?

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #12,562 of 25,542
Why would you do such a thing?
Why
wouldn't you have just folded the remains slack in the cable and used a small velcro strap to secure it to your amp?
Because he want Portability without too much hassle.
I am reducing by half the lengh of my SR009 cable. I am feed up walking on thé 2,5 meter long cable. One day I will take me in the cable and damage my phone or my BHSE amp...

I have already desolded the wire, and I now start the cable lenght reduction. Next step will be to sold the (shorter) cable back

Question (expecialy for Stax maintenance approved people) : is Stax is using standard Tin soldering or some special soldering like Silver based soldering ?

I doubt anyone can answer you about this, unless Stax can confirm, but my guess is that they use Standard no lead solder, and nothing really special

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #12,564 of 25,542
IMG_5785.JPG

I understand he's using the 009 as a portable set up, but the cable folds very conveniently as well as neatly into itself...like how it arrives from the factory in the box.

Too late .... :beyersmile:

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #12,565 of 25,542

seems like you really, really want to have a shorter cable , and is really really not satisfied with winding up some of it and tighten it with a rubberband...much likeJoseph69 suggest.
OK then ... why not, cut out some length in the middle, strip the ends, use some heat shrinking tubes to cover up the joints you solder to re-join, and call it a day.
That way you preserve the jack and the terminal-end fasten in the phone itself ...the last part is rather critical as this is where many 007 actually breaks ...and since you use it for a portable setup, I'd say it is even more important

Also you probably want to be really, really careful about how much solder you use for soldering the thin wires inside the phone ... they are brittle as hell, and liberate heat and solder won't improve much here

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #12,566 of 25,542
seems like you really, really want to have a shorter cable , and is really really not satisfied with winding up some of it and tighten it with a rubberband...much likeJoseph69 suggest.
OK then ... why not, cut out some length in the middle, strip the ends, use some heat shrinking tubes to cover up the joints you solder to re-join, and call it a day.
That way you preserve the jack and the terminal-end fasten in the phone itself ...the last part is rather critical as this is where many 007 actually breaks ...and since you use it for a portable setup, I'd say it is even more important

Also you probably want to be really, really careful about how much solder you use for soldering the thin wires inside the phone ... they are brittle as hell, and liberate heat and solder won't improve much here

I thought about your suggestion but this will have added an extra solding connection in the signal path. I do not know if this would have impacted the sound if not. So in case...

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #12,568 of 25,542
Aug 11, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #12,569 of 25,542
I agree. So... wish me good luck
Tonight I observe a moment of silence for bmichels' SR-009. This 009 was beautiful and strong (like most of its kind), but pressed into portable service it was not equipped for :disappointed_relieved:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back