The Stax Thread III
Aug 12, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #12,571 of 25,483
Alas poor SR-009, I loved it well....... :triportsad:
bc.gif

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #12,573 of 25,483
I am reducing by half the lengh of my SR009 cable. I am feed up walking on thé 2,5 meter long cable. One day I will take me in the cable and damage my phone or my BHSE amp...

I have already desolded the wire, and I now start the cable lenght reduction. Next step will be to sold the (shorter) cable back

Question (expecialy for Stax maintenance approved people) : is Stax is using standard Tin soldering or some special soldering like Silver based soldering ?
RoHS - silver solder will minimize tin whiskers

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #12,574 of 25,483
Tonight I observe a moment of silence for bmichels' SR-009. This 009 was beautiful and strong (like most of its kind), but pressed into portable service it was not equipped for :disappointed_relieved:
open cans+portable= PITA
i can´t say how much annoying it is, if room is not DEAD quiet.
One day, i gonna kill the neigbour´s parrot, repeating every BS endlessly... ANNOYING

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #12,577 of 25,483
Is it this place?

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #12,579 of 25,483
I am happy to report that my SR009 is still alive and it sound very very good ( better?) with 1,4 meters less of cable :gs1000smile:

Finally my câble do not lay on the floor or in my feets (dangerous).

IMG_5862.JPG

Note: The mod was made easier thank to my other mod that allow it to lay flat in order to fit in a slim transportabla case with the SP1000 and the kingsound portable Amp ( more on this later).

IMG_5855.JPG

Details of the mod with pictures can be posted in this Stax thread if someone is interested.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #12,580 of 25,483
I am happy to report that my SR009 is still alive and it sound very very good ( better?) with 1,4 meters less of cable :gs1000smile:

Finally my câble do not lay on the floor or in my feets (dangerous).

Note: The mod was made easier thank to my other mod that allow it to lay flat in order to fit in a slim transportabla case with the SP1000 and the kingsound portable Amp ( more on this later).

Details of the mod with pictures can be posted in this Stax thread if someone is interested.
Congratulations, you finally did it. I always wanted Stax 009 to have a shorter cable, or when you order it to be able to get it with 1.2 M long cable. I do not like heavy or long cables. Please post photos and details of the modification when you have time as i am sure many will be interested.
Not many 009 owners are as brave as you:)

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #12,581 of 25,483
To change the topic, the Stax Mafia have secured an internal pic of the Trilogy amp, which they have published on another website, and apparently it resembles the old Stax SRX circuit, with coupling capacitor between stages, direct coupled outputs, and uses plate resistor outputs. One change from the SRX circuit is that, per the Trilogy website, it does not use overall feedback.

As Kevin Gilmore has pointed out in the past, electrostatic headphone amps with no overall negative feedback tend to drift.

As I have posted in the past, electrostatic headphone amps with resistor load outputs, whether tube or transistor, are non-optimum designs. They waste most of their current output in the resistor load, leaving only a small fraction that actually drives the headphones. This not only results in reduced efficiency, but also lower peak output, higher distortion, and relatively soft bass.

As an example, the Stax amps all have pretty much the same power supply voltages (+/-350 volts). Their tube output amps have resistor output loads, whereas their solid state output amps have constant current loads. Most of the difference in their specified peak output voltages is due to the difference in the output loads rather than the difference between tubes and transistors.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #12,582 of 25,483
Hello everyone.

I was away from home for four months, so I packed my SR-009 in its box before I left. Upon opening the box when I returned, I found that it has been infested with fungus as in the photos below. Please tell me that it is still alive and that the fungus can be gotten rid of. Thank you very much for any and every help that you can provide.

IMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2872.JPG

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #12,585 of 25,483
Here's what I recommend. Mould particles are very fine and when disturbed are airboure quickly, so you have to be very careful not to disturb as much as possible.
Dampen the edge corner of a soft cloth in white vinegar, ring out, and gently clean off the pads.
I would then carefully take out the centre pads and soak in white vinegar.

Dry everything thoroughly.

The vinegar smell will fad over time, but will kill the mould.

Hopefully this is enough. You may need to use a leather softener to refresher up the pads. I think it looks worse than what it appears.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back