The Stax Thread III
Jun 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #12,211 of 25,560
The good news is that this has made me get off the fence and pick up a pair of SR-007 Mk IIs.
So far they are a very nice change. Still figuring out the whole rotating cups and pads thing for best fit.

First impressions: not quite as detailed, less bass, not a bright overall, but very smooth presentation from both my BHSE and LL2 SS.
Still deciding which amp is ?better? or should I say more synergistic, heh, for them. Time will tell. I can see why some like the 007 vs the 009.

Seems that for most people, the pads should be rotated so the seam is pointing towards your temples, more or less. This produces the best seal.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #12,212 of 25,560
Thanks for the ideas, will give it a try.
3 damn attempts and I couldn't quote the above post!

Good luck with the 009.
I found the 007 Mk2 to be quite the performer with the BHSE. The only issue I have is that I find I need to listen to the 007 at high volumes for them to really perform to my liking, which isn't good for my hearing. As far as the rotating cups, I found them quite annoying, so I removed the springs which creates more friction between the cups/pads so they don't rotate nearly as easy and the pads tend to stay firmly in the position you prefer, but can still be rotated if necessary. You might also want to do the port mod in time which I found to be a nice improvement for tightening up the bass. Overall I do prefer the 009, though.

Seems that for most people, the pads should be rotated so the seam is pointing towards your temples, more or less. This produces the best seal.

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #12,213 of 25,560
Anybody have experience pairing the SR-009 with the SRM-1 Mk2? I have the PP "C" series unit, which I understand is fairly rare. I know it's not the end game driver for the 009 but would it offer reasonably good performance? By all accounts the 009 is much easier to drive than the 007 but I don't know if that's only in the context of the Omega series and if it is significantly less sensitive than the Lambda series.
Before the coming (like a messiah :D ) of my BHSE, I used to listen a lot to my 009 through SRM-1/mk2 Pro. To be honest, I think I did prefer it over my modded SRM-727 for 009 : less punch and technicality, but all around more natural / right sounding. 727 is a warm amp, and even when modded, it keeps something a bit metallic in the sound.
With my SRM-1, 009 are like a "super Lambda", and I do like Lambdas, as long as they're not x0x series.

Obviously, there's no way SRM-1 could be compared to the BHSE...but x15 factor on the price, too !

Ali

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #12,214 of 25,560
Obviously, there's no way SRM-1 could be compared to the BHSE...but x15 factor on the price, too !

I have a modded (PSU and key parts) SRM-1 Mk2 Pro and compared it to the BHSE. The former had a little bit more bite with the bass, but sounded harder. The BHSE was smoother and more musical. Both could drive the 007 and 009 without issues, but the SRM-1 was louder at similar volume settings and at max level too. Usually I listen at moderate levels, so this is not a factor. Since the SRM-1 has both Pro and Normal bias connectors, and sounds pretty okay, especially with the 007, it's a tremendous value. I am keeping it around (still ponder making a Fostex-like semi-closed headphone with the Gamma Pro drivers and move the setup to the office).

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #12,215 of 25,560
I have the L300 paired with the SRM-1 Mk2 PP (C series) and the sound is quite smooth and musical but can lack a bit of weight at times. It's not anemic in the bass though. Perhaps it's just something inherent in the e-stat sound signature that takes getting used to (had Stax in the past but been used to dynamic and planar headphones the past year or so). Would the 007 paired with the SRM-1 be too dull or dark sounding in comparison? I am not going to upgrade the amp anytime soon, so not sure if the Omega series is worth the upgrade.

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #12,216 of 25,560
Well, the process is started to get my SR-009 looked at/repaired. Will need to ship them back to the factory to be inspected.
Still waiting for details on where they need to go. I believe it will be Hong Kong.
I will get into more details later as the process unfolds. It is going to be a few months at least from start to finish.

The good news is that this has made me get off the fence and pick up a pair of SR-007 Mk IIs.
So far they are a very nice change. Still figuring out the whole rotating cups and pads thing for best fit.

First impressions: not quite as detailed, less bass, not a bright overall, but very smooth presentation from both my BHSE and LL2 SS.
Still deciding which amp is ?better? or should I say more synergistic, heh, for them. Time will tell. I can see why some like the 007 vs the 009.

Good luck BearFNF, I am sure it will get sorted. Is It out of warranty? I got my 009 repaired at 1 month from the end of the warranty. Been fine since.

Yeah, the current 007A / MK2 is better than the older versions of the MK2 IMO. It is still behind the 009 to my ears, slower, thicker and muddy in the bass. I am listening to mine now and I am using a 3dB treble shelf (lift) in DMGAudio EQuick inside A+. It livens things up but the soundstage is still narrow and details, decay and depth clues are further back, some plankton maybe lost or more or less. The 009 isn't perfect, but gets so much right I love it! I would say the 007 is a comfy leather chair, the 009 a sculpted rally car seat, and hang on for the scary drive Ha Ha,

Let us know how you get on with the repair, and enjoy the 007s. It is nice TBH too have both phones.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #12,217 of 25,560
Yeah, out of warranty, had them two plus? years. We will see how it goes. got the shipping info and will be boxing them up and figuring out how to get them shipped next.
Good luck BearFNF, I am sure it will get sorted. Is It out of warranty? I got my 009 repaired at 1 month from the end of the warranty. Been fine since.

Yeah, the current 007A / MK2 is better than the older versions of the MK2 IMO. It is still behind the 009 to my ears, slower, thicker and muddy in the bass. I am listening to mine now and I am using a 3dB treble shelf (lift) in DMGAudio EQuick inside A+. It livens things up but the soundstage is still narrow and details, decay and depth clues are further back, some plankton maybe lost or more or less. The 009 isn't perfect, but gets so much right I love it! I would say the 007 is a comfy leather chair, the 009 a sculpted rally car seat, and hang on for the scary drive Ha Ha,

Let us know how you get on with the repair, and enjoy the 007s. It is nice TBH too have both phones.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #12,218 of 25,560
I have a modded (PSU and key parts) SRM-1 Mk2 Pro and compared it to the BHSE. The former had a little bit more bite with the bass, but sounded harder. The BHSE was smoother and more musical. Both could drive the 007 and 009 without issues, but the SRM-1 was louder at similar volume settings and at max level too. Usually I listen at moderate levels, so this is not a factor. Since the SRM-1 has both Pro and Normal bias connectors, and sounds pretty okay, especially with the 007, it's a tremendous value. I am keeping it around (still ponder making a Fostex-like semi-closed headphone with the Gamma Pro drivers and move the setup to the office).
I don't know which mod you have on your SRM-1, but reading your posts regularly here and there showed me you're on of those (rare) guys who hear completely different from me...For example, compared to my BHSE, my SRM-1 is definitely shyer in the bass and smoother, I find it has a real hard time driving my 007 and it's quieter for the same volume knob position (with same source).

Let's agree to disagree BTW...or at least let's agree SRM-1 is maybe the best bang for bucks among Stax amps :)

Ali

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #12,219 of 25,560

I don't know which mod you have on your SRM-1, but reading your posts regularly here and there showed me you're on of those (rare) guys who hear completely different from me...For example, compared to my BHSE, my SRM-1 is definitely shyer in the bass and smoother, I find it has a real hard time driving my 007 and it's quieter for the same volume knob position (with same source).

Let's agree to disagree BTW...or at least let's agree SRM-1 is maybe the best bang for bucks among Stax amps :)

Ali

Well, the specified gain of the SRM-1 is 1000x, the specified gain of the BHSE is 500x, so assuming the volume controls of both have the same taper, the SRM1 should sound somewhat louder at the same volume setting.

OTOH, at least on the SRM-1 MkII Pro schematic that I saw, the output stage used resistor loads, so I would expect it to be marginal in driving the 007, especially if you crank the volume. The same issue affects all the Stax tube output amps.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #12,220 of 25,560

At least that is more in line with what others are saying, so I consider myself being the odd case. It may be due to the fact that I am using a 007 (Mk1) without the springs and with (modded) 009 pads. They do not sound dark (elsewhere I published measurements), they are between the 007 Mk2 (latest) and the 009 in openness. There is no amp I know about that would open up the 007 significantly towards the 009. With the BHSE, it just sounds right, I don't think about it sounding open or dark. Which tubes are you using on the BHSE?

[edit] the SRM-1 mods were mostly about upgrading PSU and parts (caps and resistors), the sound improvements were quite noticeable. Still, it retained the - slightly rude - character of a Stax transistor amp, so comments should apply, whether it's modded or not it's the same amp.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #12,221 of 25,560
Yes, I've read your experiments on pads and I'm very interested in them, but I'm not bold enough to try :wink: And I totally agree 009/007 : you may open up the latter with serious amplification, but not enough to really fill the gap to 009 in openness. I did end up selling my 007mk1, not for my tastes eventually.

I use Mesa Boogie EL34 (STR447), very lively / punchy with great bass, maybe to the expanse of some refinement stat's zealot do love. My Shuguang treasures are a bit dull and bright compared to MB.

And I think I see what you mean by "slightly rude" : yes, Stax transistor amps could have something dry in the sound, but I feel SRM1 is better than (modded) 727 on this area, the latter exhibits kinda metallic tone to my ears.

Ali

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #12,223 of 25,560
I've got a pair of Stax sr404s that I would like to upgrade. Thinking about the L700 or SR007mk2. Both sound like great options.

My concern is how they'll do with my SRM-007t amp. Seems like it'll drive the L700s easily but what about the SR007s? The SR007s seen like the best headphones and the best long term decision (no audiophile remorse) but definitely don't want to change out the amp.

Thoughts?

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #12,224 of 25,560
I've got a pair of Stax sr404s that I would like to upgrade. Thinking about the L700 or SR007mk2. Both sound like great options.

My concern is how they'll do with my SRM-007t amp. Seems like it'll drive the L700s easily but what about the SR007s? The SR007s seen like the best headphones and the best long term decision (no audiophile remorse) but definitely don't want to change out the amp.

Thoughts?

Difficult to say. Depends on how sensitive you are to differences in amps, and how loudly you listen. Objectively, the SR007s have the same rated sensitivity as the L700s, but the SR007s sound less sensitive than most other Stax phones because they have a few dB less output in the 2-4 kHz region that our brain uses to estimate loudness. So, you'll have to turn up the volume a notch or two compared to the L700s to reach the same subjective loudness. Now, if you don't listen particularly loudly, that may not make much of a difference. So you can get some idea by turning up the volume with the L700s and see if the sound quality deteriorates noticeably. I can tell you that one of my acquaintances who is very picky about sound quality used the less powerful SRM-T1 with a pair of SR007 Mk I for a while, but he also listened at relatively modest levels.

Some people are not very sensitive to the differences in sound from a "better" amplifier - only you can answer that question. There are definitely better amps than the SRM007 for driving the SR007 headphones, but one old time Head-Fier, Darth Nut, who no longer posts here, and who owned the legendary Stax SRM-T2, said that he preferred the combination of SRM007 and SR007Mk I to the SRM-T2 and the Lambda headphones that were available at the time, feeling that the improvement of the SR007 over the Lambdas was more significant than the differences between amps.

Jun 23, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #12,225 of 25,560
one old time Head-Fier, Darth Nut, who no longer posts here, and who owned the legendary Stax SRM-T2, said that he preferred the combination of SRM007 and SR007Mk I to the SRM-T2 and the Lambda headphones that were available at the time, feeling that the improvement of the SR007 over the Lambdas was more significant than the differences between amps.

Bizarre indeed. There is a crop of owners who listen at low levels and / or also classical / chamber music so possibly that may not highlight general lack of dynamics or drive? No idea. But the gap between the Stax amps I have heard (SRM-007T) my first Stax amp the SRM 313, then later the SRM-717 was way behind my first KG amp, the Sanyo KGSShv 450v off-board. That was all on the 007MK2, then later the 007A 2015. Then on the 009 a bigger jump again. I really can't understand Darth Nuts view.

IMO the current 007 is good as an all rounder, and is more forgiving with the source which may be key here. Once you get into the better DAC territory the 009 takes over, you don't need a comfy sofa 007 from that point, you need the super fast and transparent (linear) HP to tell you what is going on. The 007 with a great front end may be a bit of a smoke screen IMO even on the better KG amps. Having said that, the current 007 is improved over the main MK2 period which lasted a long time. It is also a bargain for those not wanting to go so insane on budgets. But my choice would be to hell with costs, just go for the 009 and the best KG amp you can get your hands on, (and a good DAC of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back