The Stax Thread III
Jun 7, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #12,196 of 25,522
I also noticed that Accutech is listed in the service section on the Stax USA page in place of Yamas. Would be real interested to know what is the right path here. Will need to reach out to RPD I suppose.
I'll post when/if Stax USA contacts me and what I hear from a Canadian dealer I contacted and the new USA distributor, RPD Ltd.

Looks like the address for RPD LTD is the same as Edifer USA
Edifier USA
428 Hemphill Street
Fort Worth, TX 76104 USA
1-844-368-3631

RPD Ltd. / Edifier US

Technical Support
service@edifier.ca
upload_2017-6-7_18-10-50.png

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #12,197 of 25,522
Unless it has been recently changed, the STAX USA is defunct and will not reply. The Canadian distributor is great. HeadAmp and Woo Audio can also probably order what you need. If you need an English speaking contact at STAX for service, PM me and I'll share the email address. I have it from a recent service of my 009s.

[Edit: BearFNF added more details to his post and it looks to me like there is now a new way to get STAX service in the USA. However, don't bother with the web form on that site, if it is still there.]

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #12,198 of 25,522
Looks like the address for RPD LTD is the same as Edifer USA

That is all new since I tried to contact STAX USA back in February. I definitely gave Edifier an earful about the non-response from the website, once I finally got hold of them. Probably others did too. I had heard they were planning to do service in Texas, so this looks to me like good progress toward that.

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #12,199 of 25,522
I am new to this thread and obviously not as sophisticated in my Stax experience as many of you. My love of the marque began even before I had decent speakers. My living situation was more favorable to headphones so I wanted the best I could afford. In 1975 that was the SRD 4/SR 40...........
.......So I set my sights on the SR-X Mark 3, which I had heard was the best of the old classics. The pair I was able to buy is in good shape except the earpads have shed most of their vinyl covering. (What little is left is migrating to my ears.) They came with an SRD-7 so I can pretty much do a side by side comparison. The SR-Xs are louder, of course; but other than that, I don't hear a huge improvement. I hope new ear pads will improve the SR-Xs; but could these SR-40s be that good? Maybe my old ears are betraying me?

Anyway, I'm glad I finally found this thread, with the help of jcn3.

Maybe it took some time for the SR-Xs to reach full (?) potential. Maybe they hadn't been played in a long time. Maybe I blew the wax out of my ears. I don't know why, but it is obvious that the SR-Xs have way more bass than the SR-40s now, and that's still with the worn pads.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #12,201 of 25,522
LOL, so I was goin to go to the WOO audio page to see if they had some SR-007MkII's available, but my antivirus flagged their site as having a threat, "drive-by-downloads" threat to computer safety, No thanks. will shop else where.
any one else get this?

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #12,202 of 25,522
LOL, so I was goin to go to the WOO audio page to see if they had some SR-007MkII's available, but my antivirus flagged their site as having a threat, "drive-by-downloads" threat to computer safety, No thanks. will shop else where.
any one else get this?

I opened their site, no warnings here!
Using Windows10 Pro, Firefox and Windows Defender.

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #12,204 of 25,522
Anybody have experience pairing the SR-009 with the SRM-1 Mk2? I have the PP "C" series unit, which I understand is fairly rare. I know it's not the end game driver for the 009 but would it offer reasonably good performance? By all accounts the 009 is much easier to drive than the 007 but I don't know if that's only in the context of the Omega series and if it is significantly less sensitive than the Lambda series.

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #12,205 of 25,522
any one else get this?
No warning. Have the usual Windows junk and Malwarebytes. The later is both necessary and sensitive.

gl

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #12,206 of 25,522
Well, the process is started to get my SR-009 looked at/repaired. Will need to ship them back to the factory to be inspected.
Still waiting for details on where they need to go. I believe it will be Hong Kong.
I will get into more details later as the process unfolds. It is going to be a few months at least from start to finish.

The good news is that this has made me get off the fence and pick up a pair of SR-007 Mk IIs.
So far they are a very nice change. Still figuring out the whole rotating cups and pads thing for best fit.

First impressions: not quite as detailed, less bass, not a bright overall, but very smooth presentation from both my BHSE and LL2 SS.
Still deciding which amp is ?better? or should I say more synergistic, heh, for them. Time will tell. I can see why some like the 007 vs the 009.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #12,210 of 25,522
3 damn attempts and I couldn't quote the above post!

Good luck with the 009.
I found the 007 Mk2 to be quite the performer with the BHSE. The only issue I have is that I find I need to listen to the 007 at high volumes for them to really perform to my liking, which isn't good for my hearing. As far as the rotating cups, I found them quite annoying, so I removed the springs which creates more friction between the cups/pads so they don't rotate nearly as easy and the pads tend to stay firmly in the position you prefer, but can still be rotated if necessary. You might also want to do the port mod in time which I found to be a nice improvement for tightening up the bass. Overall I do prefer the 009, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back