The Stax Thread III
May 29, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #12,181 of 25,522
LaCuffia said:
I would appreciate some advice on the most economical amp (old or new) to drive the 007 mk2. Would a SRM-1 mk2 Pro be reasonably competent? Just looking for something under $1k while I save up for a much better driver for later.

I am debating between the 007 and L700 and realize that the latter is probably much easier to pair (like with a 353x) but really like the more conventional round pad design of the 007. It seems like it would be more comfortable although I've had Lambda models before and they are not bad comfort wise, just a bit awkward.

If it's not even worth getting a sort of stopgap amp for a 007 then I guess the L700 is the way to go.

In would search out a used KGSShv, KGST or a Birgir amp such as this:
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...static-stax-hev90aristaeus-type-amp-rk40-pot/

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #12,183 of 25,522
Does anyone know whether the L500 pads are the same as the L700? Also, can L700 pads fit on the L300?
They are not the same.
Both L500 and L700 pads fit L300 - I use L300 with L700 pads, instead of L700 with L700 pads :jecklinsmile:

May 30, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #12,185 of 25,522
Thanks....where can you get L700 pads in the US? I don't even know if Stax USA is even operational. I know they are notoriously slow anyway.

My 009 was taken care off due to cosmetic reason within a few days. I think the dealer you are using have a big role in how fast the respond maybe, and I am extremely happy with ThesourceAV

May 30, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #12,187 of 25,522
Thanks....where can you get L700 pads in the US? I don't even know if Stax USA is even operational. I know they are notoriously slow anyway.
Yes please pm me as well where to source l700 pads for l300 lambda

The easiest way - buy L700 like I did, you'll get a free headphone with your pads.

Cheaper way - you can message Mit (my Stax dealer/pusher) on Ebay, he'll be happy to provide you a quote for any item you want.
I bought almost my entire Stax inventory from him.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/mmg0g0

May 30, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #12,188 of 25,522
My 009 was taken care off due to cosmetic reason within a few days. I think the dealer you are using have a big role in how fast the respond maybe, and I am extremely happy with ThesourceAV

That's why I am reluctant to purchase Stax products from Japan on eBay. I rather deal with US retailers for warranty and to avoid voltage transformers. What Stax systems does Jason sell? It seems like only high end like the 009.

May 30, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #12,189 of 25,522
The easiest way - buy L700 like I did, you'll get a free headphone with your pads.

Cheaper way - you can message Mit (my Stax dealer/pusher) on Ebay, he'll be happy to provide you a quote for any item you want.
I bought almost my entire Stax inventory from him.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/mmg0g0
Ahhh MIT..
Yes i bought my srs-3100 from him.
Fantastic seller.

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #12,191 of 25,522
I need replacement pads for my SR-X Mark 3s and contacted Stax USA. I ordered the pads; but they are backordered. I've Sent them 3 messages through their site since 5/30 and so far no reply. Has anyone else had recent communication with Stax USA?

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #12,193 of 25,522
I am new to this thread and obviously not as sophisticated in my Stax experience as many of you. My love of the marque began even before I had decent speakers. My living situation was more favorable to headphones so I wanted the best I could afford. In 1975 that was the SRD 4/SR 40.
Those baby's defined for me what reproduced music was supposed to sound like until a little over 2 years ago when I took over the basement as my listening area and got some Canton Ergo 1002DC towers. The Ergos in a nice roomy space finally topped the Stax soundstage.

The SR 40s started out on a modest Kenwood and stayed with me through a fairly nice Yamaha CR-820, to a sweet Nakamichi Receiver 2. Down stairs they made a new friend in a Rotel RX-1052, a Creek Classic 5350SE, and now a Primare I32. I always wanted to try a proper electrostatic and I fear one day the charge on my electrets will weaken. So I set my sights on the SR-X Mark 3, which I had heard was the best of the old classics. The pair I was able to buy is in good shape except the earpads have shed most of their vinyl covering. (What little is left is migrating to my ears.) They came with an SRD-7 so I can pretty much do a side by side comparison. The SR-Xs are louder, of course; but other than that, I don't hear a huge improvement. I hope new ear pads will improve the SR-Xs; but could these SR-40s be that good? Maybe my old ears are betraying me?

Anyway, I'm glad I finally found this thread, with the help of jcn3.

Jun 7, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #12,194 of 25,522
I need replacement pads for my SR-X Mark 3s and contacted Stax USA. I ordered the pads; but they are backordered. I've Sent them 3 messages through their site since 5/30 and so far no reply. Has anyone else had recent communication with Stax USA?

You have a PM.
I'd be interested in this answer also if you can share. I have been tryng to get my 009 fixed for a month or so but so far no joy through my dealer, may just be a comm issue with Stax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back