The Stax Thread III
Feb 15, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #11,147 of 25,540
13 May 2016 i've ordered , after 23 days june 4, they're answer my email to send my package tomorrow and it took another 8 days to send and it was around June 18 i've received the package from fedex

worst internet shoping experience in my entire life

You're lucky, I've waited 8 MONTHS (!!!!!!!) without getting what I ordered nor my money back (paid by bank wire). I've given up.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #11,150 of 25,540
Well, a 3 way comparo is not a short story, but here goes:
SR007 Mk2 w/KGSShv-mini:
Still the detail champ with sonorous, transparent bass to die for that is very well integrated. And the speed is great in things that highlight speed like percussion. Still subject to some upper-mid glare from digital when it's prominent in the recording. A revealing sound.

HEKv2: Almost as much speed and detail as the Stax, but not quite in A/B comparison. Images are less full-bodied than the Stax. But the HEKv2 is smoother and more liquid and not as sensitive to digital glare (but some glare still comes through sometimes), and there is an overall silky quality to the sound that is very pleasant and seems like a coloration, but it's a very musical one that is relaxing. But it is less immediate that the Stax, so that the Stax feels like a wall is gone and you are right there with the performance. But the HEKv2 sounds very continuous with no grain at all and the images are refined and float nicely from the ether. It's an atmospheric sound that I would describe as very sophisticated.

Sony ZR1: Definitely in the dynamic camp with a big bold but very transparent bass that I do not find overwhelming at all. It creates a large hall-like 3D space, larger than the other 2 headphones. The images are not as detailed, but are very believable so I don't feel as if anything is missing.

But most important is that, somehow, it handles without pain every recording thrown at it, even ones that suffer from digital glare (especially shrill vocals) beautifully. They are not muffled but somehow transformed as if they were put through some magic DAC with the most sophisticated processing algorithm ever made to produce a genuine analog sound. But still, an amazing amount of texture and spatial information get through, even speed. So the Sony ZR1 is to me the opposite of ruthlessly revealing. But it amazingly is still revealing and nothing is cloaked.

So while the Stax really struts its stuff and has supreme transparency with extra good recordings like DSD, the ZR1 spins cloth into gold with any music, as if it had its own built in processor.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #11,151 of 25,540
Yes, I also have similar impressions about the HEK(v1) and Z1R, but it was the HEK(v1) that sounded harder in the mids than my 007 Mk1. Need to check out the HEKv2.

Anyway it is the Z1R that is more appealing: even though it's a "view" over music, in some sort of DSP'd fashion perhaps, it is quite pleasant, while feeling less colored than say the stock TH900. A comparison with my modded TH900 is overdue. 

However, based on these impressions my 007 Mk1 is still a keeper. Perhaps will try a new 009 again, allegedly they got better silently - but this is a rumor tendency with all high end headphones that have received some critiques, so I am reluctant betting money on it, once I am happy with the modded 007 Mk1. The thought itching me is to try the 009 with 007 cables or "lower" purely copper cables... I've heard that actually may improve their sound. Again, too expensive to just buy and try, besides, cable change on Stax is likely not a trivial thing.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #11,153 of 25,540
  Yes, I also have similar impressions about the HEK(v1) and Z1R, but it was the HEK(v1) that sounded harder in the mids than my 007 Mk1. Need to check out the HEKv2.

Anyway it is the Z1R that is more appealing: even though it's a "view" over music, in some sort of DSP'd fashion perhaps, it is quite pleasant, while feeling less colored than say the stock TH900. A comparison with my modded TH900 is overdue. 

However, based on these impressions my 007 Mk1 is still a keeper. Perhaps will try a new 009 again, allegedly they got better silently - but this is a rumor tendency with all high end headphones that have received some critiques, so I am reluctant betting money on it, once I am happy with the modded 007 Mk1. The thought itching me is to try the 009 with 007 cables or "lower" purely copper cables... I've heard that actually may improve their sound. Again, too expensive to just buy and try, besides, cable change on Stax is likely not a trivial thing.

The HE1000 V2 has indeed improved  in the mids and has added back the dynamics and punch that I felt the V1 needed. 

Zolkis, your impressions are exactly what I have. And yes, I too keep my 009 as something that still has great potential, even though I usually turn to my other headphones.
Best to you.

Actually my SR-009s get plenty of head time...owned them for about 4.5 years now and they still amaze me!

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #11,154 of 25,540
I spent some time tonight listening to both the Z1R and HE1000v2, and I do have to say that the Hifiman does exceed in midrange/vocal texture, with  more organic smoothness and silkyness and liquidity, just more natural and refined.
And it also has more immediacy and is a more intimate listening portrayal.

So I am giving a big thumbs up to the HE1000v2. 
I am using my tube amp for the Hifiman and the ZR1.

The SR007 is also fine, but I am using the solid state KGSShv-mini, so that may be an unfair comparison vs the tube-driven Hifiman.
But I feel the HE1000v2 and the SR007 are in the same sonic camp.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #11,156 of 25,540
The KGSShv-mini is a nicely warm-side-of-neutral amp that is very good with SR009s and the SR007mk2. It is non-shrill with vocals, a problem that always bedeviled me with my Stax amps, even my retubed 007t (versions i and ii).
It has what I consider brilliant bass, extremely solid and controlled. I was thinking about moving up to a Carbon, but I am leaving well enough alone since there seems to be a synergy in my system with an EMM dac and *both* the SR007 and 009 phones.
It is especially brilliant with DSD, a to-die-for sound with detail,control, and musicality. It's a real bargain for the price I paid, but it feels end-game to me, not just good for the price.
Mine is the 400v Sanyo version, actually considered not the best out there, but it sure sounds good. Nicely non-fatiguing but it gets down to the essence of the music and sounds very natural.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #11,157 of 25,540
Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like a tonality I would enjoy listening to. Now if only a good deal on a used unit pops up together with an 007 and I'd be done. No point chasing for the Carbon which is unobtainable for me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back