The Stax Thread III
Feb 19, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #11,161 of 25,567
Hard to tell. Maybe a tiny bit better imaging and separation. It's very slight. The 1718/1719 15V supply is just fine. I wouldn't get worked up about it.

The main advantage for me is it was closer to 15VDC exactly (14.98 +/-) and didn't shift one bit under load, so I feel better about it powering the circlotron output boards.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #11,162 of 25,567
  Sure. Another thing is my mini doesn't get hot, just warmish, which I think is bonus. I heard the full size KGSShv and Carbon get hot (but I may be wrong on that, so someone correct me if I am).

I'm running a 450V Carbon @ 15mA w/ GRLV in my Circlotron case and it barely gets warm. It's a real big case though.

A little physics here guys.  IIRC the KGSSHv runs at 5-10 mA/output device, with +/-450-500 PS that runs between 18-40 watts.  The Carbon runs between 15-20 mA/device with +/-450 volt supplies, that runs 54-72 watts.  There are two output devices per channel, but the constant current loads burn up as much watts as the output devices.  The front end uses up another 5-6 watts. For the same size heatsink the more current is running through the output stage, the hotter it gets, so if you build everything in the same case, the Carbon is hotter - but there is no rule saying you have to do that.  OTOH, the bigger your heatsinks, the cooler it runs - purely a matter of the build.  A KGSSHV in a small case with small heatsinks may run hotter than a Carbon in a large case with big heatsinks.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #11,163 of 25,567
Does the grlv power supply make a noticeable difference in the sound?

No personal experience but here are a couple other perspectives from the other web site:

johnwmclean:  "Audibly a worthwhile outlay as well."

kevin gilmore:  "Surprisingly the GRLV power supply makes a bigger difference than I had thought."

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #11,165 of 25,567
Does anyone know if Birgir's builds carry the GRLV PS? I notice from the other site that most other DIY builds have the GRLV but haven't heard of it mentioned in Birgir's own builds..or perhaps he has his own version of it?

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #11,166 of 25,567
  Quick question for those that have imported 007 mkII from Japan, am I better off getting from Price Japan or from one of the resellers on Amazon? or doesn't really matter? 
Shipping to Australia if it makes any difference

Thanks

Are people getting their orders from Pricejapan now???? My PAID order from June 2016 is still missing. Not a single reply to my emails. I have since then ordered the items from a authorized Stax dealer, which means I ended up paying for L700/353x TWICE!!! Is it just me they are ignoring??

That would be an absolutely interesting question for me too...

Not knowing anything about the problems of last year (only reading about the positive experiences from the past), I've ordered a SR-009 from PriceJapan on 4th January this year and payed via bank transfer (yes I know, silly me
wink.gif
). Never got any reply from them after my payment... The advisor of their German Kebhana bank told me their account is still active (money is transfered regularely).

I really don't know whether I should still wait or start a lawsuit against PriceJapan.

In the meantime I've ordered (and received) a SR-007 MK2 from SmartImports. Their service was great and I love my SR-007 (powered from my DIY KGSSHV Carbon / Chord DAVE). But nevertheless I miss 'my' SR-009...

13 May 2016 i've ordered , after 23 days june 4, they're answer my email to send my package tomorrow and it took another 8 days to send and it was around June 18 i've received the package from fedex

worst internet shoping experience in my entire life

I recently tried to order L700 from PriceJapan. Like around 2 weeks ago. PayPal blocked the transaction, saying there was a problem with PJ's account.

In my opinion, PriceJapan is worse than defunct....I strongly suspect my failed transaction with them resulted in a bogus Phishing E-mail impersonating PayPal (this time claiming MY account was suspended.....and oh, click this link....NOT)

I suggest staying away from PriceJapan. I think they've either been hacked, or are blatantly fraudulent now.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #11,167 of 25,567
  I suggest staying away from PriceJapan. I think they've either been hacked, or are blatantly fraudulent now.

Yeah, I fully agree with you!

The site is kept active by 'someone'. And their bank account is active too. Since PriceJapan (Kaneda) seems to have worked trustworthy for about 14 years (at least that was the information I had before I placed my order), I guess some criminal minds in South Korea (this seems to be the sites origin now) are running the site now with fraudulent intention.

I did speak with the advisor of their German Kebhana bank account and I did explain the situation to her. She tried to get in contact with the account owner for about 2 weeks but she failed. Money was still transferred on this account but she wasn't able to get any response from the account owner. Did look somewhat strange for her too but she wasn't willing (allowed) to give me additional information about the account owner. It would take a judgment of the court to get the owners information or at least to stop transactions on this account.

I think there are many victims and since the items they 'sell' are rather expensive, a fair amount of money is at stake. Maybe the money of us (who have already payed) is lost, but there will be more victims if no action is taken.

I think there would be more hope for success of a lawsuit if there's a number of victims. The police eventually won't take much care about a single case...

So maybe a first step would be to create a list of victims. Please PM me (or post here) if you are interested in actions against these criminals.

Martin

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #11,168 of 25,567
I suggest contacting PayPal. If they're blocking transactions to the site now, they're aware of a problem.

The phishing E-mail I received was surprisingly sophisticated......had it not been directed to my Spam folder, it was otherwise realistic enough I can see a fair number of people falling for it.

I really mean it, it's scary how legit it looked! I forwarded it to PayPal though, and they confirmed it as fake.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #11,169 of 25,567
  I suggest contacting PayPal. If they're blocking transactions to the site now, they're aware of a problem.

The phishing E-mail I received was surprisingly sophisticated......had it not been directed to my Spam folder, it was otherwise realistic enough I can see a fair number of people falling for it.

I really mean it, it's scary how legit it looked! I forwarded it to PayPal though, and they confirmed it as fake.

That's an interesting idea. Though I'm not sure if PayPal is allowed to give me any information about the account holder. But every little detail may count in a lawsuit. Even if they only confirm the blocked account 'info@pricejapan.com'.

Regarding you pishing mail. Are you sure that it was related to PriceJapan? Was it sent by them? If so, could you please forward it to me?

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #11,170 of 25,567

Another question about STAX amp. (SRM-313)
It's now set for 100V and I wanna convert it to 220V.
But I never saw this kind of transformer with colorless wires.
Can anybody help me how should I connect these wires to make it run on 220V environment?

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #11,173 of 25,567
it can be rewired the same as all of the other stax units with that jumper board as long as the transformer wires are not cut.

does not look like they are cut.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #11,174 of 25,567
  it can be rewired the same as all of the other stax units with that jumper board as long as the transformer wires are not cut.

does not look like they are cut.

Thanks for your advice.
Do you mean that these two circuits basically same? (Second board is from SRM-717)
Are they arrayed in same order? (BRN, BRY.. those colored wires)

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #11,175 of 25,567
Need better picture of the board, but all stax are identical circuits

Unsolder the 2 jumpers

Use an ohmmeter to find the pair of 0,100,120v windings

Wire one side of ac line to appropriate 0. (This one should be hard wired)
Then 120v to 0 of other winding, and then 120v of that winding to the fuse

Will look up other pictures I have in a few hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back