The Stax Thread III
Dec 8, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #10,711 of 25,562

So you would probably not hear as much of a difference at those levels as you are not stressing the amp much.  The SR007 does tend to sound quieter than most other Stax phones because it has less output in the 2-5 kHz "loudness" range compared to most of the others, so that would mean cranking it up a notch or two.  I think there is a mod that would significantly improve the ability of the T1 to drive the 007, but I'm still working on it.

I'll follow that with interest - the deal has been done, I'm about to post my tube amp + tubes, and someone in America will post a T1 + 404LE to me. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #10,712 of 25,562
Are there any more comments anyone would care to make on the Focal Utopia compared to Stax (mainly the SR007 and SR009) since earlier postings in this thread? I'm asking since the Utopia is more widespread in the field? Thank you.
Does anyone out there in Staxland own both?

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #10,714 of 25,562
Not really Stax -related (as my existing and incoming amps both have voltage a selecter) but could one of the electronics gurus in this thread please recommend a reasonably priced, decent quality, step-up transformer to make a Feliks Elise built for Australia (240v mains) work in the US?
If this amp was plugged directly into 110v would the results be catastrophic, or nothing at all, or somewhere in between?
I'm asking here because the level of electrical knowledge among you guys seems higher than in other parts of the forum.
TIA

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #10,716 of 25,562
Are there any more comments anyone would care to make on the Focal Utopia compared to Stax (mainly the SR007 and SR009) since earlier postings in this thread? I'm asking since the Utopia is more widespread in the field? Thank you.
I have the Utopia review in my sig where I had brief comparisons of it against my SR-007Mk1 & SR-009.

I'm going to have to say from a sonic perspective I'd still prefer the SR-007Mk1 but yet I bought the Utopia for convenience of dynamics (transportability, greater mix/match modularity with reasonably priced amps, etc).

Ain't getting rid of my Stax setup but consolidating my dynamic & ortho headphone collection for the Utopia.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #10,717 of 25,562

Here's Jude's comment from August in case you haven't seen it:

No, the HE-1 Orpheus would still get the clear nod. As I said in the CanJam London video, I feel the Utopia's overall performance is matched only by a few top-performing planar magnetic headphones, and exceeded only by the very best electrostatic headphones in the world. The new Orpheus is, in my opinion, perhaps without peer right now (and I still haven't had a chance to try the HE-1 Orpheus with the Chord DAVE yet).

My Stax SR-009 and Stax SR-007 Mk1 with the Frank Cooter Custom 845 Electrostatic Amp are still, in my opinion, the better sounding, more resolving headphones (versus either the Utopia or Elear). Of course, at that point, we are talking about an electrostatic system that would be priced significantly higher than even the Utopia, and it's also a system that was shipped on a pallet, because it's so large--so you can't really use it anywhere other than where it is (at my office).

Especially with the SR-007 Mk1 (which I've been using more and more lately), the bass is more present than with the Utopia, and the treble smoother and more refined, and, overall, more resolving. Both the SR-009 and SR-007 Mk1 play with beautiful body and drive through the Cooter--more than any other amp I've yet heard with them.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #10,718 of 25,562
  Not really Stax -related (as my existing and incoming amps both have voltage a selecter) but could one of the electronics gurus in this thread please recommend a reasonably priced, decent quality, step-up transformer to make a Feliks Elise built for Australia (240v mains) work in the US?
If this amp was plugged directly into 110v would the results be catastrophic, or nothing at all, or somewhere in between?
I'm asking here because the level of electrical knowledge among you guys seems higher than in other parts of the forum.
TIA

I'll give a sort-of answer since nobody has chimed in with a better one - don't plug a 240v amp into 110v.  

Can't recommend a specific 'good' step up transformer from experience, but I would personally go for an iron core block looking thing like this:  It's nothing fancy but will take the AC coming from the US socket exactly as it is and make it 240v by having twice as many coils of wire wrapping around that iron core in the middle than the opposite side.  No additional filtering or fancy stuff, but cheap and simple is often the best way.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #10,720 of 25,562
Thanks for the comments on the Stax vs. Focal.
I have not heard the Focal, but my intuition tells me Stax is unique and cannot be replaced and my Stax setup isn't going anywhere.
(I am liking the HEK v2 though also in my dynamic system.)

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #10,721 of 25,562
TIA

I'd recommend something more substantial in case you have other appliances or equipment you also want to run with 220-240 V in the US:
Although not a "3rd world" country, in terms of home electric circuitry the US is a joke, maybe the place we rent is a particular bad example but fridge/freezer and AC make the light go dim for a second. So a regulated transformer is the way to go. And you can select input and output voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/Simran-AR-3000-3000-Watt-Stabilizer-Transformer/dp/B000E636BU/ref=sr_1_3?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1481426953&sr=8-3&keywords=regulator+step+up+transformer+110+-+220v 

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #10,723 of 25,562
Hello guys!

I have always been interested in electrostatic gear, and only recently I found a video to which here is a link.The video is about the Stax 2170 system, and the guy claims all kinds of stuff about it. What really stroke me the most was how he tried to compare it other headphones and could really only say that it's better than any other, be it planar or dynamic. After watching, I obviously felt a great urge to go out and buy one, but couldn't help but post here first, just to get either a confirmation or advice. I am at a point where I'd like to expand my He-400i and Shure with an amp/dac, which allows for future expansion to other headphones. I now debate whether or not I should forget about it and invest in a stax instead, and that will be good for me. Any advice guys? 

Thanks, and have a nice day!

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #10,724 of 25,562
  Hello guys!

I have always been interested in electrostatic gear, and only recently I found a video to which here is a link.The video is about the Stax 2170 system, and the guy claims all kinds of stuff about it. What really stroke me the most was how he tried to compare it other headphones and could really only say that it's better than any other, be it planar or dynamic. After watching, I obviously felt a great urge to go out and buy one, but couldn't help but post here first, just to get either a confirmation or advice. I am at a point where I'd like to expand my He-400i and Shure with an amp/dac, which allows for future expansion to other headphones. I now debate whether or not I should forget about it and invest in a stax instead, and that will be good for me. Any advice guys? 

Thanks, and have a nice day!

I recommend to try Stax SR-L700 + SRM-006t + your favorite DACs combo. boom! you have done. remember SR-L700 are latest Stax. improved and tonal balance good. good price/performance ratio etc etc.

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #10,725 of 25,562
TIA

www.acupwr.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back