The Stax Thread III
Feb 7, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #7,906 of 25,489
  Is there anyone who recently bought SRM-727A or SRM-353X?
I wonder if I can adjust voltage of recent STAX amp.
I heard that some 727A and 323S are not adjustable, so I wonder if this means that STAX prevents private voltage change of their amp.

You mean, even with internally soldering job ? This kind of thing ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/679447/stax-727-voltage-conversion-100-to-117-help ) would be inoperative right now ?
The external selector thing began around 15 years ago, I guess, to prevent from grey market. You may even see some SRM-T1 without voltage selector.

Ali

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #7,907 of 25,489
  You mean, even with internally soldering job ? This kind of thing would be inoperative right now ?
The external selector thing began around 15 years ago, I guess, to prevent from grey market. You may even see some SRM-T1 without voltage selector.

Ali

The link you gave me is leading back to this thread.
But I know what you're saying by 'internally soldering job' and yes, I'm saying that that kind of thing (rewiring to other voltage) is inoperative.
I heard it from my friend who usually repairs STAX gears that some newer SRM-727A and SRM-323S cannot be modified to other voltage. (in this case, 100V to 220V)
He said that he was not able to rewire it to other voltage as internal cables were different from older STAX amps.
I cannot understand accurately what he said as I didn't do the job by myself, but he said that the colored cables that must be rewired for voltage change were not available.
It's said that not all amps are like that but some amp that are produced recently have that kind of problem.
I wonder if there is other people who experienced this kind of problem (unable to change voltage by rewiring STAX amp) and if this also shows in SRM-353X as I think that STAX amps use common internal transformers.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #7,908 of 25,489
I've edited the link, it doesn't work with embedded link, and I don't understand why... 
redface.gif

Ali

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #7,909 of 25,489
I've been doing some research on the 007 (probably my next step from the 407's, it will be either 007 or L700) but I still don't see how many versions of the 007 there are, for now I've seen;

- 007 Omega II - champagne color
- 007 Omega II Mk2 - Black with gold/champagne covers
- 007A - Silver earcups / covers

I know that some prefer ther first 007mk1's and others the 007mk2 but what about the 007A?
Are they the same as MK2 internally but meant for JDM?

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #7,910 of 25,489
  I've been doing some research on the 007 (probably my next step from the 407's, it will be either 007 or L700) but I still don't see how many versions of the 007 there are, for now I've seen;

- 007 Omega II - champagne color
- 007 Omega II Mk2 - Black with gold/champagne covers
- 007A - Silver earcups / covers

I know that some prefer ther first 007mk1's and others the 007mk2 but what about the 007A?
Are they the same as MK2 internally but meant for JDM?

Yeah. The SR-007A is to the Mk II as the SR-007BL was to the Mk I.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #7,912 of 25,489
A word to anyone who wants to get into a good Stax set-up cheaply. richard 51 pointed out in the mechanical damping thread that the 45 year old, low bias SR5 sounds amazingly good after you slide 10 small pieces of  self- stick sorbothane under the earpad. I can confirm this, it is a beautiful sounding phone and actually better sounding from its SRD6 transformer than from a SRM1mk2 amp.

Even though I have been pushing the use of sorbothane to mechanically dampen earcups, I would not have guessed that a low bias phone could sound this good and I was ignoring my old set until richard51 pointed this out. I am running mine from a Sherwood 100 w/ channel  receiver that I paid less than $200.00 for. I see a couple of SR5's on ebay for $150-175.00 right now.  I don't think much of them undamped, but with this simple and reversible mod you can into this business for what in Stax terms is next to nothing.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #7,913 of 25,489
  Thanks for the lightning fast reply :) All clear now!

The current 007A Japanese issue jus superb, very close to the (now very old) 007 MK1. The Black 007 MK2-2.5s is not so hot IMO. I would buy a new 007A from a dealer or get a Japanese issue 007A from Price Japan.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #7,915 of 25,489

Quote:

Does anyone try/use AC noise isolation transformer for your stax rig?
Does it affect sound quality IYO?
I tried over 20 ferrite clamps for my stax AC power lines. wow it remove hardness and sound so smooth...

Thank you

Photo shows my P10 plus the smaller Linear power supply just powering my Mac Mini and external Clock.

Hi Pokemonn
I have never tried ferrite clamps? I think are are sometimes used on power leads coming out of wall wart supplies.

I do however use a PS Audio P10 Mains Regenerator which may be the same thing you are talking about (AC noise isolation transformer)
It is a big transformer that takes my 230V -258V AC 50Hz and regenerates it back out as clean 230V AC Multi Wave 50hz. I get a big increase in sound quality from this unit. Mt mains is quite noisy, it reads 2.5% at least distortion and can be 230V up to 258V depending on the time of day and demand (other houses). I get 230V bang on output and 0.1% distortion now.

So YES a mains regenerator can make a BIG difference. I put all my system through it, my DAC, Mac MINI and power supply, KGSSHv and my (Speaker amp) Plinius Power Amplifier, so everything gets an upgrade. It is not cheap but is worth it IMO. I would say passive filters, distribution boxes and other gizmos don't do so much. To get rid of the AC noise you need to regenerate from scratch.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #7,916 of 25,489
Hello astrostar59! Thank you very much for your reply and advice!

Wow your regeneratar is so cool!  OK I will try Power Plant 3(smaller version), I can afford it for my stax rig. fortunatly those products are sold in Japan too. Thanks god.

Thank you astrostar59, you help me a lot!

I will try this one.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #7,918 of 25,489
Does anyone try/use AC noise isolation transformer for your stax rig?
Does it affect sound quality IYO?
I tried over 20 ferrite clamps for my stax AC power lines. wow it remove hardness and sound so smooth...

Thank you

I use the Isotek Aquarius for my rig. For the NAS, external HDD into the Auralic Aries and the switch, I have LPS. The Auralic Aries comes with its own LPS. Not sure if this is what you are asking about.

If so, yes, to my ears. :)

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #7,919 of 25,489
  Hello astrostar59! Thank you very much for your reply and advice!

Wow your regeneratar is so cool!  OK I will try Power Plant 3(smaller version), I can afford it for my stax rig. fortunatly those products are sold in Japan too. Thanks god.

Thank you astrostar59, you help me a lot!

I will try this one.

Yes that will work on your amp and DAC. I only got the bigger P10 because my power amp for my speakers is a monster.

To clarify, the P3, P5 and P10 are amplifiers, in that they take the AC and take it back to DC, clean it and then regenerate it out to perfect AC 230V or what ever your voltage is.

Other devices that are not doing that, i.e. passive filters may or may not help, but will never have the impact of regeneration of the mains. In some cases the mid to budget filters can make things worse and throttle the power and actually add problems.

Also look at the plugs and IEC connectors and use hifi fuses. Also run a dedicated ring main back to the consumer unit so you have no fridges of AC on that line. It is hassle, but I did it and it was better for it. Cost peanuts for the 45 amp cable and wall plug. Then all my system powers off the P10. You can set the P3/P5/P10 to reboot after a power cut or not. You can control it over the web or via a remote. You can set the voltage the Sine Wave (Sine or Multiwave). I use Multiwave which sounds better, and has the effect of putting bigger capacitors in your DAC / Amplifiers.

To prove this is not snake oil, I get the best sound at any time of day. Before I got a good sound at 2am but not during the day (quite rough). And the soundstage is wider and the treble smoother. Plus it is more dynamic and the bass is stronger. I can feel the frames on my 009s vibrate more at the same volume as without it, so yes, it is a fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back