The Stax Thread III
Feb 5, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #7,891 of 25,567
I have used over the last years some rca, xlr and usb cables in my system and i heard in my chain small but over a long listening time for me importand differences. The most expensive cables was not the best choice and i ended with middle priced PC-OCC cooper cables, for me the right combination is the goal. I think sources and their interaction/combination is very importand if you have a nearly transparent amp and such a transparent headphone like a SR-009. But on the other side there are some listeners they don´t hear this differences, i think it is a blessing for them or a downside, your choice.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #7,893 of 25,567
Maybe it would be interesting to continue another cable discussion on another thread, but for fun here is a link, see the pictures in the middle of the page, it's a speaker cable but it illustrates what is going on with some esoteric cables. http://www.high-endaudio.com/magaz.html
Interconnects are passive components, they should let the signal pass without attenuating the signal, allowing noise to be added, or filtering the signal. It gets better with increasing price but when reaches 3 figures it is just ...
I'm happy with my Vovox Sonorus and since amplifiers are inherently balanced (finally some Stax related content) microphone cables in the Pro-Audio market may be a more sensible choice than interconnects in the High-End market. And thinking about it, these are the cables that were used to record the sound we listen.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #7,895 of 25,567
Which would you guys consider more detailed, transparent, and "reference", stax 3030 system or the new 2170? Thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Take the SRM-323 amp from the 3030 set and the SR-207 from the 2170 set and you have a good Stax setup. Technical they are nearly the same, the SR-207 has more risk of driver failures (channel imbalance etc.) but sounds maybe a little bit better/smoother than the SR-303. The SRM-323 is technical superior with more headroom to the SRM-252S with his poor power supply.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #7,897 of 25,567

Where I want to be:
Schiit Yggdrasil -> KGxxx -> Stax SR007 or 009

You mean KGBHSE? 
atsmile.gif
 four x's...

Probably never a BHSE....It's taking me a year just to save for a Yggdrasil DAC. But maybe a KGST, KGSV, KGDT, or possibly even a KGSSHV. but at this rate it would be a few years down the road.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #7,899 of 25,567
as was writtem in one german blog:

[google translated] iFi Audio [...]  iCan Pro will be able to drive any headphone (even electrostatics: such as Stax When An additional special external Energiser module is added). Optional Electrostatic Headphone Energiser in separate box will be Introduced, 1,700V peak-peak maximum output, selectable bias for Stax HiFi / Pro, Sennheiser and others, Output Levels selectable, 3 * Stax Pro & HiFi sockets fitted

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #7,900 of 25,567
Interesting, I hope it will be able to swing 1700V in decent quality.

I just finished reading through 40+ pages of the 009 channel imbalance thread and I wonder whether Stax already have admit and fixed the error or is buying the 009s still a gamble?

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #7,901 of 25,567
  Interesting, I hope it will be able to swing 1700V in decent quality.

I just finished reading through 40+ pages of the 009 channel imbalance thread and I wonder whether Stax already have admit and fixed the error or is buying the 009s still a gamble?

don't know tech details, overview here
as far as I know, iFi guys are very helpful and answer to all questions addressed to them

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #7,902 of 25,567
Hi, received my sr-l700 a couple of days ago and let them burn in for some 30 hours. I find them rather dark and a bit close. I'm using a sr-007tII amplifier.  Is this related to the initial burn in period. Shall I expect some significant change on these two features with use?

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #7,903 of 25,567
  Hi, received my sr-l700 a couple of days ago and let them burn in for some 30 hours. I find them rather dark and a bit close. I'm using a sr-007tII amplifier.  Is this related to the initial burn in period. Shall I expect some significant change on these two features with use?

some user ideas here too, related to L700 and amps

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #7,904 of 25,567
Is there anyone who recently bought SRM-727A or SRM-353X?
I wonder if I can adjust voltage of recent STAX amp.
I heard that some 727A and 323S are not adjustable, so I wonder if this means that STAX prevents private voltage change of their amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back