The Stax Thread III
Feb 10, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #7,936 of 25,560
  Power supplies in DAC and amplifiers are complex beast that have a tough job to do, removing mains hash and regulating the supply to the circuits downstream. Pre-amplifiers and DAC are super sensitive to noise and mains hash. This is why IMO DACs designed to ruin on a (well designed) battery system can sound so good.

So what goes wrong with a DAC when it is fed noisey power?

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #7,937 of 25,560
The better the internal or external power supplies of the DAC AMP... are, the less important is the power conditioner imo.
My D-02 has 4 excellent shielded transformer in a heavy Dac housing. Same high level quality i experienced with the HeadAmp BHSE.

With those equipment i tested with and without my Furman_ITReference16Ei power conditioner and heard no difference in sound.

Smaller Dac´s or my KGSS benefit from Furman´s noise filter for example.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #7,938 of 25,560
I have an old SR-404 with a bad cable. I'm thinking of using them again.

I have to following questions:
1) When re-cabling them, what wattage soldering iron should I use?
2) I need new pads. Which compatible Stax pads are the most comfortable and best sounding to use with SR-404?
3) I used to drive them with SRM-006tII. How does SRM-323S compare to SRM-006tII?

/Thanks

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #7,939 of 25,560
Long ago (about 15 years) I tried the little PS audio regenerator (the P300 I think) on my Stax 007t amp w/ my SR007 phones and it somehow made the sound extremely bright and punchy and fatiguing and I sent it back.
I was very surprised on the major change it made in the sound, so unlike the mellow sound of this setup. I thought I would have to listen closely to hear any difference.
In addition, it made the amp run very hot and the tubes got brighter, not a good thing.
Ever since then, I avoid regenerators (but of course I have not tried one since then, so take this with a grain of salt). 

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #7,940 of 25,560
OK my Power Plant P3 arrived my home today.
I did A/B testing between wall outlet and P3 regenerated out with Stax SRM-717 and Stax SR-009.
my short first impression is, P3 regenerated putput sound surely darker and smoother than wall outlet. wow
biggrin.gif

since i live in tokyo, I am pretty sure that this kind of units are very effective. coz Tokyo is very polluted lol.
Thank you guys for advices!

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #7,941 of 25,560

2) I need new pads. Which compatible Stax pads are the most comfortable and best sounding to use with SR-404?
3) I used to drive them with SRM-006tII. How does SRM-323S compare to SRM-006tII?

/Thanks

1)Something not super hot. I used a 25watt on mine and just tried to be quick about it. Worked fine. The main thing is you want to be careful not to linger and overheat things.
2)Sounds like you want the 507 pads. They're leather and comfy and provide a better seal. I think that's the combo for the old 404 limited edition anyway
3)Haven't heard so can't say. But in general, the stax tube amps tame some of the top end of the lambdas. So you would probably like what you already have better

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #7,942 of 25,560

/Thanks

I wonder if the seal matters much on them since if I remember correctly these have a port. Have a look at my thread on sorbothane damping. While you have them open you might try some 1/4 inch sorb on the backplate. This improved mine immensely. Undamped phones are frankly going to become obsolete, and that includes Stax. Only Grado and Sennheiser seem to be working on getting rid of the mechanical vibrations in the earcups.

h

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #7,943 of 25,560
Grados sure do sound super awesome.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #7,945 of 25,560
  Just curious why you would say this, and which Grado are you referring to?

Sarcasm in regards to the miracle of sorbothane damping.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #7,947 of 25,560
Feb 11, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #7,948 of 25,560
  Just curious why you would say this, and which Grado are you referring to?

Grado e series.  Sennheisser  has also evidently used damping material in the HD800 headband.

"Grado has now joined Sennheiser in dampening earcup vibrations.  I picked up a catalog from Audio Advisor today and I see a Grado SR80e  ad saying:

" the SR80e  has...a new polymer to damp resonant distortion in the plastic housing.... The way the SR80e's new driver and plastic housing move air and react to sound vibrations virtually eliminate transient distortions. " 

Looking at their website I see that Grado has introduced a third series of headphones, called the e-series which use a vibration absorbing material.  "Grado's proprietary SpaceBlack Polycarbonate is engineered to absorb excess energy and reduce secondary impulses, for a clearer tone."

In the same catalog, Sennheiser HD800 is still touting anti-resonance in its headband as they have for some time:

"...while the sandwich-material, anti resonance headband... utilize(s) advanced technology from the aerospace industry."

I see these as parallel developments to sorbothane damping.   There may be others but it seems to me to be a new development in headphone design.

"

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #7,949 of 25,560

/Thanks

1)Something not super hot. I used a 25watt on mine and just tried to be quick about it. Worked fine. The main thing is you want to be careful not to linger and overheat things.
2)Sounds like you want the 507 pads. They're leather and comfy and provide a better seal. I think that's the combo for the old 404 limited edition anyway
3)Haven't heard so can't say. But in general, the stax tube amps tame some of the top end of the lambdas. So you would probably like what you already have better

@plektret: adding to Tinkerer :

• please note the wires: one has a straight line/dotted line printed to it (left/right channel phase). Take a photo so you wire the new cable correctly.
  • please put a cover over the driver when soldering; you might have a bit of flux or solder jumping around - just a tiny bit hitting the driver might cause damage - a piece of cardboard or stiff paper. The driver is pretty solid and isn't particular fragile, but warm bits hitting the diaphragm is one thing that easily damage those.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #7,950 of 25,560
  Grado e series.  Sennheisser  has also evidently used damping material in the HD800 headband.

"Grado has now joined Sennheiser in dampening earcup vibrations.  I picked up a catalog from Audio Advisor today and I see a Grado SR80e  ad saying:

" the SR80e  has...a new polymer to damp resonant distortion in the plastic housing.... The way the SR80e's new driver and plastic housing move air and react to sound vibrations virtually eliminate transient distortions. " 

Looking at their website I see that Grado has introduced a third series of headphones, called the e-series which use a vibration absorbing material.  "Grado's proprietary SpaceBlack Polycarbonate is engineered to absorb excess energy and reduce secondary impulses, for a clearer tone."

In the same catalog, Sennheiser HD800 is still touting anti-resonance in its headband as they have for some time:

"...while the sandwich-material, anti resonance headband... utilize(s) advanced technology from the aerospace industry."

I see these as parallel developments to sorbothane damping.   There may be others but it seems to me to be a new development in headphone design.

"

Yes, I have read this also about the Grados…I just wasn't clear if paradoxper was being sarcastic with his post or not.
Thank you.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back