The Stax Thread III
Sep 20, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #22,891 of 25,502
Haven't you posted enough crap in this thread already? (some of it you had to delete as well)
Those mafia amps are just plain brilliant in their own right. (You are also crapping on the BHSE as well, we all secretly loathe that as well, just too afraid to tell.)

An audio system consists of a whole chain, and not necessarily works in every combination. I have found the SR-007 Mk1 + Carbon to not necessarily work so well with my own (cheap) source. (I may try some tweaking as I read so much about it.). But I also heard it with the standard KGSSHV on a different DAC and a fully analogue system as well, it was something else - and I would be surprised, if the Carbon won't be better still.

Inspired by mods done by @thinker I decided to try myself on my 007.

Removing all the layers of obstruction like the metalplate,spring and mesh aswell as sealing of the bassport with a 3Dprinted ring really livened the headphone up.
More Classic Omega I think? Very good bass and all the way down low.

Pictures:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YR_8nOHddE6p3EOReEpzxPIKRjLhS7xp/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YRNZ39mwJkr4D9YpWqkouK5TpqaeXQmL/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YL-Bjiw1lMbdvUhhWcqu5bpMEsjO2axP/view?usp=drivesdk

I also got a new set of 3dprinted rings made to work with the ZMF Oval pads, testing soon :)

Can you elaborate more on the dampening you speak of @thinker or is it a secret? I do not fully understand.
The 007 and hybrid 007/009 are different projects. Nice work you have done with 007 it should sound much better than standard version. The hybrid version needs damping rings, i used a felt 0-ring to stabilise the driver and the driver is wedged in place, a method wich was used by france company Oxygene years ago on single driver loudspeakers. A good way to get off resonances. Many more thinks were done like leaving all screws away etc.

We all have different ears but the hybrid version 007/009 is the best Stax i have heard. Last weekend i was listening with the dual mono tube amp X9K Phenomenon 007mk1 and Hybrid phones and i'm confident to say that Mafia amps sound pretty good but better amps do exist.

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #22,892 of 25,502
I just got a 007mk2 and I must say that in stock form I prefer the ES-1a to it. I’m going to try the bass port mod today once my blu-tack arrives but if it doesn’t fix things I’ll have to part ways with the 007mk2. On the plus side there is a lot of bass. On the negative side the 007mk2’s bass was very monotone and the entire presentation seem way too shifted towards the lower registers. Treble seemed to take a large hit.

All of the above is on a KGGG amp and May DAC.

Thanks, Waiting to know your thought patiently :D

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #22,893 of 25,502
Thanks, Waiting to know your thought patiently :D
Gonna have to wait a bit longer. Wife left the Amazon package in the car and I had surgery 36 hours ago so I’m not about to go get it.

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #22,894 of 25,502
The 007 and hybrid 007/009 are different projects. Nice work you have done with 007 it should sound much better than standard version. The hybrid version needs damping rings, i used a felt 0-ring to stabilise the driver and the driver is wedged in place, a method wich was used by france company Oxygene years ago on single driver loudspeakers. A good way to get off resonances. Many more thinks were done like leaving all screws away etc.

We all have different ears but the hybrid version 007/009 is the best Stax i have heard. Last weekend i was listening with the dual mono tube amp X9K Phenomenon 007mk1 and Hybrid phones and i'm confident to say that Mafia amps sound pretty good but better amps do exist.

This sounds very interesting! A friend of mine is trying to figure it out, would you mind sharing the type of felt and maybe more details of the mod, Would sharing pictures be possible?

If you want we can procede on DM for the details :)

I love the 007 after mods,padswap and EQ, truly a great earspeaker fully unlocked.

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #22,895 of 25,502
Here you see the medium dense felt, the thickness you can calculate by the picture. The size of the 0-ring can be calculated by the diameter of the inner driver case.
The widht of the felt is about 1cm and when you look at the driver from outside it should be as in picture. The 009 case has black rubber ring and keep it in place.
Use some silicone glue to connect the felt to case. Install the driver above the felt. Now you have to wedge the driver against the inner case, wedge it with tight rubber but it must be very tight. Take the O-ring metal plate (wich is partially inside) the pad and the inner 009 dustcover and install them with silicone glue. Close the opening with a felt piece near the cable connection.
The only screws wich are used are the connection of the cable to case. This is short description and rest you can figure out by yourself. This can probably be improved when somebody has better ideas.

The 007 driver in standard case has excellent midrange and bass, still perceive them as not balanced together and the bass is highlighted when you drive it for instance with
Carbon. The biggest problem with 007 is that the highs don't shine lot of information is missing in the highs, the bass goes deep but it's not well articulated.The 007 shines on midrange and the overall tone is pleasantly soft. It has a legendary sound signature.

I was suprised how much the sound changes when the driver is in another case. This hybrid version is not the 007 phone anymore but better in any way. The 007 driver is now a extremely balanced driver, now you hear that 007 can do excellent detailed highs and goes all way up.

The overall tone is airy and the excellent midrange is not lost. Bass behaves much better it's much more articulate and doesn't bump anymore . The overall tone you can describe not as "muddy" still the legendary signature is not lost.

I rave about this phone because it's the first phone were i can complitely relax and get lost in the music. The original is little bit sleepy and this is a big wake up . The sound of the hybrid is very clean but not sterile. The Original Omega is not as clean as the hybrid. You can also image how the midrange sounds on 007, now on the hybrid the highs and bass are the same part of it.

To make this you need 009 and 007 phone and you have to dissamble them, i don't recommend to do it .
I'm not sure if i told everything but try to figure out how it's done
Don't use any metal plate between your ears and driver just the dustcover to protect from electrical connection

edit: could be that i used a second felt O-ring between pads and driver i don't remember but try out

T IMG_1448.jpeg
IMG_1444.jpegIMG_1445.jpegIMG_1446.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #22,896 of 25,502
I performed the port mod on the 007mk2 and it did help the faults of the non-port modded mk2 but I still find it not to my liking compared to ES-1a and Omega/007 hybrid. The biggest issue that wasn’t fixed is the need to crank up the volume to get the treble to to burn through the veil that obscures it at lower volume levels. I tend to listen to listen to my music at lower levels so I’m gonna have to let these go.

Next up is the Perun Rock that just arrived in country last night. I’m hoping to have it my by Friday or Saturday.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #22,897 of 25,502
I performed the port mod on the 007mk2 and it did help the faults of the non-port modded mk2 but I still find it not to my liking compared to ES-1a and Omega/007 hybrid. The biggest issue that wasn’t fixed is the need to crank up the volume to get the treble to to burn through the veil that obscures it at lower volume levels. I tend to listen to listen to my music at lower levels so I’m gonna have to let these go.

Next up is the Perun Rock that just arrived in country last night. I’m hoping to have it my by Friday or Saturday.
I have the Perun Rock "Quadrun" V2022 on the way myself, very exited, just left Russia :)

Have you done any mods like removing the metal plate, rubber mount, steel spring yourself on your 007?

I think and feel it really made a difference and unlocks alot of hidden qualities in the 007 like you describe it maybe lacking stock, I feel it has been worked into a product lineup and tamed down abit.

After mods I would say the veil is gone and volume comes soner on the pot, or louder at same setting so to say.
The darkness or hard to drive nature of the 007 is more with its stock setup I feel.

If you compare the 007-009 and x9000 it looks to me that great lenghts has been made to remove obstructions as much as possible the higher you go in the lineup.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #22,898 of 25,502
@Thobjo the port mod is all I did to modify from stock. I considered trying the spring expansion mod but didn’t want to pull the earpads off again to expand the rings and see the difference.

Interesting thoughts about Stax removing obstructions as you move up in the line. I never took apart my 009S so I can’t validate and I dare not take apart the X9k.

Arthur thinks the x9k will be unseated by the Quadrun. My ears are ready and waiting! We have some good times ahead!

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #22,899 of 25,502
Here you see the medium dense felt, the thickness you can calculate by the picture. The size of the 0-ring can be calculated by the diameter of the inner driver.
The widht of the felt is about 1cm and when you look at the driver from outside it should be as in picture. The 009 case has black rubber ring and keep it in place.
Use some silicone glue to connect the felt to case. Install the driver above the felt. Now you have to wedge the driver against the inner case, wedge it with tight rubber but it must be very tight. Take the O-ring metal plate (wich is partially inside) the pad and the inner 009 dustcover and install them with silicone glue.
The only screws wich are used are the connection of the cable to case. This is short description and rest you can figure out by yourself. This can probably be improved when somebody has better ideas.

The 007 driver in standard case has excellent midrange and bass, still perceive them as not balanced together and the bass is highlighted when you drive it for instance with
Carbon. The biggest problem with 007 is that the highs don't shine lot of information is missing in the highs, the bass goes deep but it's not well articulated.The 007 shines on midrange and the overall tone is pleasantly soft. It has a legendary sound signature.

I was suprised how much the sound changes when the driver is in another case. This hybrid version is not the 007 phone anymore but better in any way. The 007 driver is now a extremely balanced driver, now you hear that 007 can do excellent detailed highs and goes all way up.

The overall tone is airy and the excellent midrange is not lost. Bass behaves much better it's much more articulate and doesn't bump anymore . The overall tone you can describe not as "muddy" still the legendary signature is not lost.

I rave about this phone because it's the first phone were i can complitely relax and get lost in the music. The original is little bit sleepy and this is a big wake up . The sound of the hybrid is very clean but not sterile. The Original Omega is not as clean as the hybrid. You can also image how the midrange sounds on 007, now on the hybrid the highs and bass are the same part of it.

To make this you need 009 and 007 phone and you have to dissamble them, i don't recommend to do it .
I'm not sure if i told everything but try to figure out how it's done
Don't use any metal plate between your ears and driver just the dustcover to protect from electrical connection

edit: could be that i used a second O-ring between pads and driver i don't remember but try out

T
Thanks alot!

I see alot of thought has gone into your mods, hence known as the "Thinker Mod" :)

Maybe the custom plate allowing for full opening on center, any pads mounted and seal off the bassport can be known as the "Thobjo plate/ring" :p

Future Stax Mafia talk:
Thinking of doing some Thinkermods on my Stax bro, maybe slapping on some Thobjo plates, all about that transparency and bass all the way down low direct nothing in the way sound. :)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #22,900 of 25,502
Me and some of the boys in the Norwegian Head-Fi Community have been working on listing all or most relevant Electrostatic "Headphones" and Energizers/Amps:

Electrostatic Headphones :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...5oY8T0mng09QaEdkDtI10FXl_Hg/edit?usp=drivesdk

Amps/Energizer:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lxblsdHPc-jRMIMShAC9JwVALUU/edit?usp=drivesdk

I was new in the hobby not to long ago and it seemed like a real jungle to be in with a struggle to get a grasp off all the makes and models and how it compares.

Alot of this is not exactly cornershop stuff but more boutique and custom made to order products.

Specs does not in any way tell it all, the lists are work in progress but getting an overview and discovering new makes and models and researching is alot of fun if you are into this awesome madness :)

Maybe a list of well proven builders of amps and energizers could be added with their contact info?

A comparison of the different materials used, Mylar, Sep etc and information about the thickness used in the varying models or in general a technical write up about this would be nice if possible maybe.

The links takes you to an open document with editing permissions, so far this has been going well and people can take part if they have something to add, I have them backed up and hopefully it gets to a point it can be a community thing if people find it worthwhile :)

Also posting this on Headphones subreddit and stax owners FB group etc.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #22,901 of 25,502
Me and some of the boys in the Norwegian Head-Fi Community has been working on listing all or most relevant Electrostatic "Headphones" and Energizers/Amps:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...5oY8T0mng09QaEdkDtI10FXl_Hg/edit?usp=drivesdk

Amps/Energizer:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lxblsdHPc-jRMIMShAC9JwVALUU/edit?usp=drivesdk

I was new in the hobby not to long ago and it seemed like a real jungle to be in with a struggle to get a grasp off all the makes and models and how it compares.

Alot of this is not exactly cornershop stuff but more boutique and custom made to order products.

Specs does not in any way tell it all, the lists are work in progress but getting an overview and discovering new makes and models and researching is alot of fun if you are into this awesome madness :)

Maybe a list of well proven builders of amps and energizers could be added with their contact info?

A comparison of the different materials used, Mylar, Sep etc and information about the thickness used in the varying models or in general a technical write up about this would be nice if possible maybe.

The links takes you to an open document with editing permissions, so far this has been going well and people can take part if they have something to add, I have them backed up and hopefully it gets to a point it can be a community thing if people find it worthwhile :)

I see that you have included my Omega clone in the spreadsheet. In fact, I have a few more versions of my DIY phones, should they be in there too? By the way, I never sell my DIY headphones. Therefore, people can't buy them from anywhere.

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #22,903 of 25,502
I have updated some data of my DIY headphones. If anymore information is needed, let me know.
Great stuff, I think all info is good info :)

Maybe you are one of the few able to make a short introduction to different materials Mylars etc? I get it that there are alot of variables such as type of mount, dampening, stretchforce and so on but it atleast to me seems different materials and generations of them, thickness etc gives different qualities and capabilities.

Sep 22, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #22,904 of 25,502
Sep 22, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #22,905 of 25,502
Me and some of the boys in the Norwegian Head-Fi Community have been working on listing all or most relevant Electrostatic "Headphones" and Energizers/Amps:

Amps/Energizer:

Is the o2's driver thinner than 009?

I have read somewhere in the headfi, but Cannot find the real infos regarding this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back