The Stax Thread III
Sep 12, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #22,861 of 25,261
Pretty much mirrors my experience with the two. Generally similar presentations, with the x9000 being a bit more technically proficient while the Omega is smoother, with a bit more natural tone/smoothness. I would only add that the Omega was very impressive technically, just that the x9000 pushes that a bit further. If I could only choose one or the other, I think I would go with the Omega because of that balance, but it would be tough. The only thing for me with the Omega was that it felt just a bit less engaging (i.e. more laid back as you say) than the x9000 or HE90/R10 I auditioned it with. But smoothness/laid back sound is kind of an inherent tradeoff with more energy, detail and potential harshness for some people's ears.

So fully agree it just comes down to preference and what a user is looking for.

edit - and also agree with your thoughts exactly on the ES-1a as well.
Except you actually heard real omega drivers in that unit.
Further goes to show that the sound signature of vintage gear is preferred by many.

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #22,862 of 25,261
The 007mk2 in 009 case with new damping materials, i find this to be the all time best Stax phone, some friends were listening and they agree with this. I did install the driver tight and avoided using this time any screws wich connects its to case to get rid of all resonances. It's very musical detailed open wide smooth, everything in one package and long time satisfaction is guaranteed. It is above007/ X9K /Omega. Huge potentiality is hidden in 007 driver.

IMG_1420.jpeg

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #22,863 of 25,261
The 007mk2 in 009 case with new damping materials, i find this to be the all time best Stax phone, some friends were listening and they agree with this. I did install the driver tight and avoided using this time any screws wich connects its to case to get rid of all resonances. It's very musical detailed open wide smooth, everything in one package and long time satisfaction is guaranteed. It is above007/ X9K /Omega. Huge potentiality is hidden in 007 driver.

IMG_1420.jpeg
Prior to your Frankenstein, how did you rank the standard Stax models

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #22,864 of 25,261
Prior to your Frankenstein, how did you rank the standard Stax models
1. Frankenstein
2.Omega
2.X9K
Those who try Frankenstein the first impression is how musical it is, the sound is creamy like 007 and airy towards (009/X9K) and extremely natural and balanced. Not diffuse at all , doesn't have the upper midrange thinnes (shoutyness) wich appear sometimes on X9K. The X9K forces you to be a spectator to music it doesn't invite you to intimate dialogue and this phone should have been been more meaty to become a legend. Old Omega is somhow diffuse and needs a musical amp in the end, it's not quite balanced, bass midrange highs are somehow separated.

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #22,866 of 25,261
Except you actually heard real omega drivers in that unit.
Further goes to show that the sound signature of vintage gear is preferred by many.
I don’t know if that broad statement is completely accurate. That’s similar to saying “I like the Ford GT90 more than the C7 Z06 therefore many prefer cars from the 90’s to modern day cars.” I can think of plenty of gear that is vintage that I do not prefer to modern equipment. I believe we all can.

I think the only loose assumption you can make from this exercise is that Omega/007 and pure omega may yield similar sonic profiles relative to the x9000.

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #22,867 of 25,261
1. Frankenstein
2.Omega
2.X9K
Those who try Frankenstein the first impression is how musical it is, the sound is creamy like 007 and airy towards (009/X9K) and extremely natural and balanced. Not diffuse at all , doesn't have the upper midrange thinnes (shoutyness) wich appear sometimes on X9K. The X9K forces you to be a spectator to music it doesn't invite you to intimate dialogue and this phone should have been been more meaty to become a legend. Old Omega is somhow diffuse and needs a musical amp in the end, it's not quite balanced, bass midrange highs are somehow separated.
I get the logic here as the 007 drivers in the omega shell is preferred by many.
I don’t know if that broad statement is completely accurate. That’s similar to saying “I like the Ford GT90 more than the C7 Z06 therefore many prefer cars from the 90’s to modern day cars.” I can think of plenty of gear that is vintage that I do not prefer to modern equipment. I believe we all can.

I think the only loose assumption you can make from this exercise is that Omega/007 and pure omega may yield similar sonic profiles relative to the x9000.
I was referring to the Stax vintage sound specifically - 007mk1 / omega / sigma / NB l

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #22,869 of 25,261
I get the logic here as the 007 drivers in the omega shell is preferred by many.

I was referring to the Stax vintage sound specifically - 007mk1 / omega / sigma / NB l
It would explain why he mentioned it sounded darker and "duller". The original SR Omega sound has a somewhat hot treble and upper range, obviously dependent on the amplifier.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #22,870 of 25,261
Show us a pic under different light. The original Omega drivers will have those rivets, the 007 will not and will be just one "plane". Still can't tell from this pic.
Please stop this nonsense. Every hybrid Omega has rivets in the center, only the very very early Omegas with original drivers have those rivets missing.
It is pretty clear which version it is, here is a comparison side-by-side on another pair.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #22,871 of 25,261
Gotta say, my 009 powered by my Manley Labs 300B pre and Densen B-150 power (class AB but A for the first 5-10 watts) via a Woo WEE energiser sounds utterly incredible. Leagues better than my SRM-007tII. Completely obliterates the argument that the 009 is only good for acoustic/jazz type music as it is a beast with crushing metal albums. Does it let me know if the album is poor? Does it ever! But it's not unlistenable and they can sound beguiling with music that is far from pristine.

Swapping in a pair of Western Electric 300B + upgrading my Zen Mini PSU removed the last visage of glare from the sound signature. It's not a warm sound by any stretch but not the strident mess many claim the 009 to be.

Can't imagine a dedicated 'stats amp would sound much better. Even if it did the massive cash sink to get an incremental change wouldn't be worth it versus pouring that money into an upgrade elsewhere.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #22,872 of 25,261
Please stop this nonsense. Every hybrid Omega has rivets in the center, only the very very early Omegas with original drivers have those rivets missing.
It is pretty clear which version it is, here is a comparison side-by-side on another pair.
You are saying the same exact thing I am saying so in essence "non-sense". I have seen many of the 007 drivers in SR-Omega missing the rivets, especially if Stax did the driver replacements. Just FYI, I own a SR-Omega with original drivers.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #22,873 of 25,261
Just FYI, I own a SR-Omega with original drivers.
Congrats. A bit surprising that you can actually tell the difference with all this nonsense you've just posted.
In any case, this is a hybrid Omega/007 (SN #6x), so impressions from it should be interpreted as such.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #22,874 of 25,261
Congrats. A bit surprising that you can actually tell the difference with all this nonsense you've just posted.
In any case, this is a hybrid Omega/007 (SN #6x), so impressions from it should be interpreted as such.
Love the banter and the weak sarcasm.

From the impressions it was quite clear that it couldn't be the original drivers as I'd never describe them as dull/boring. The original drivers have remarkable tone and upper mid range qualities that is rare for a 'stat.

Sep 14, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #22,875 of 25,261
Congrats Oneguy to the 1% club, you have a very unique Omega Hybrid.
Thanks for posting the impression compared to the X9 and the Es1a.
I wonder how it sounds with a 009 driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back