The Stax Thread III
Sep 14, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #22,876 of 25,504
From the impressions it was quite clear that it couldn't be the original drivers as I'd never describe them as dull/boring.
And yet you've still tried to question observations after impressions were written. There is enough noise in this thread already, it would be way less, if people could resist the urge to vehemently disagree, even if they don't actually know it any better, and they could just write: "You could be right."

Sep 14, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #22,877 of 25,504
@Mach3 thanks!

@dukeskd I’m not sure sure where you are getting “dull/boring” from. Neither of the comments from @number1sixerfan or myself made those assertions.

Sep 14, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #22,878 of 25,504
If your 717 has blue ALPS pot as volume control ( like what is in my 007t's), one "must do" mod would be to configure it to "shunt pot volume control" and add premium series resistors. It can bring noticeable SQ improvement. (Alps blue is kind of "dull" sounding)
Which discontinued Stax amp doesn’t have this infamous blue ALPS volume pot for those who prefer keeping it stock? Thanks.

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #22,879 of 25,504
I’ll do more vs x9000 listening today but so far vs the ES-1a I’d say the Omega beats it in every regard but deep bass. The ES-1a has a narrow sound stand where as the Omega is has just about a perfect naturalness to it. The 1a has a treble inflection compared to the Omega which seems relative flat except for the previously mentioned deep bass. No irritation at the across the frequency response.

My specific test for deep bass is Daft Punk’s “Doin It Right.” The Omega can’t hang with the extremely low note in that sound falls on its face. The ES-1a handles it well.

The Omega balances extreme instrument separation well. Not extreme like the HD800 or overdone (maybe forced is correct word?) compared to the X9000. Not a muddy soup of all of them floating together either which is the other end of the spectrum.

Vs the 1a the Omega has a really full as well developed upper bass and mids.

Overall exaggeration of FR of the Omega vs the 1a
Omega: /——
ES-1a: \—_-/

Those are my initial thoughts. Only A/B’ed 2 songs vs the x9000 so I’ll need a few more data points to form a more general conclusion.

May I ask the difference between the ES-1A and 007-MK1

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #22,880 of 25,504
I’ve never listened to a Mk1 so I can’t comment. Just the Omega with 007 drivers and the Mk2.9.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #22,882 of 25,504
SRM-500T is the replacement for the 006t, not the 007t. The 007t successor is the SRM-700T. I'd presume that the 500T would be less powerful than the 007t based on the specs alone. I'm not sure of any direct sound comparisons that have been done. But I've read positive impressions of the new ones from some people here on Head-Fi.

From some teardowns by the "Stax Mafia" over at Head-Case, the new ones are pretty similar overall to the older ones with the same circuit design, just with different tubes and small changes to parts here and there. The 500T is supposedly similar to the SRM-600LTD from a while back.

If you can find a 007T with the CCS mod and the 6S4A mod (or do those mods yourself), that turns it into an amp that's similar to the 3rd party KGST amp, which is more powerful.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #22,883 of 25,504
Made someone very happy today ^^
Very good friend and professional colleague, we go back many decades, respect and love him. He's better than me but don't let him know!

Back in the early '90s, let us say my employment was such that i had me a bit of an access in all STAX products.
You've probably guessed where this is going, yes, this led to my acquiring an Ωmega, which at the time i think it went for 3million and 300thousand drachmas?
Crazy money. 3,3 million of your local currency, lol
He was a bit envious, i knew. And i actually lent it to him for many months, something which i never do with electrostats, but.. least i could do.

Fast forward to today, when my SRX-9000 arrived (thank you bro for hiding it from my wife).
Minus a sliiight re-interpretive tendency which can be overcome if your know your electronics (i don't do software alchemies or "EQ"), i think it's a worthy successor to the original mesh Ωμεga; or age has robbed me of my hearing, lol

Knew he was in this evening, so drove over with the original Ωmega gift wrapped and rang the bell!
Fast foward it a few minutes and he was close to **** himself :)
Took a few decades, but now he has it!
(not an easy gift to make, not for a grumpy, self-centered old fart like me, but.. the look on his face, i'd do it again)
And sorry for spamming, good w/end to you all.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #22,885 of 25,504
Made someone very happy today ^^
Very good friend and professional colleague, we go back many decades, respect and love him. He's better than me but don't let him know!

Back in the early '90s, let us say my employment was such that i had me a bit of an access in all STAX products.
You've probably guessed where this is going, yes, this led to my acquiring an Ωmega, which at the time i think it went for 3million and 300thousand drachmas?
Crazy money. 3,3 million of your local currency, lol
He was a bit envious, i knew. And i actually lent it to him for many months, something which i never do with electrostats, but.. least i could do.

Fast forward to today, when my SRX-9000 arrived (thank you bro for hiding it from my wife).
Minus a sliiight re-interpretive tendency which can be overcome if your know your electronics (i don't do software alchemies or "EQ"), i think it's a worthy successor to the original mesh Ωμεga; or age has robbed me of my hearing, lol

Knew he was in this evening, so drove over with the original Ωmega gift wrapped and rang the bell!
Fast foward it a few minutes and he was close to **** himself :)
Took a few decades, but now he has it!
(not an easy gift to make, not for a grumpy, self-centered old fart like me, but.. the look on his face, i'd do it again)
And sorry for spamming, good w/end to you all.
Damn... your friend level is JEDI....
You're giving him a piece of history, quite significant in my view because you can replace the X9000 but not the Omega.
They becoming extinct rare.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #22,886 of 25,504
SRM-500T is the replacement for the 006t, not the 007t. The 007t successor is the SRM-700T. I'd presume that the 500T would be less powerful than the 007t based on the specs alone. I'm not sure of any direct sound comparisons that have been done. But I've read positive impressions of the new ones from some people here on Head-Fi.

From some teardowns by the "Stax Mafia" over at Head-Case, the new ones are pretty similar overall to the older ones with the same circuit design, just with different tubes and small changes to parts here and there. The 500T is supposedly similar to the SRM-600LTD from a while back.

If you can find a 007T with the CCS mod and the 6S4A mod (or do those mods yourself), that turns it into an amp that's similar to the 3rd party KGST amp, which is more powerful.
I have an old Grundig tube radio wich is 60 years old, it's used daily and it has point to point wiring and if you look inside it looks like a complitely mess. The radio had never issues and i think tubes were changed 3-4 times. And the sound is just stellar. It's fun how Stax mafia has brainwashed almost the whole community with so called "clean" amps.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #22,887 of 25,504
It's fun how Stax mafia has brainwashed almost the whole community with so called "clean" amps.
Haven't you posted enough crap in this thread already? (some of it you had to delete as well)
Those mafia amps are just plain brilliant in their own right. (You are also crapping on the BHSE as well, we all secretly loathe that as well, just too afraid to tell.)

An audio system consists of a whole chain, and not necessarily works in every combination. I have found the SR-007 Mk1 + Carbon to not necessarily work so well with my own (cheap) source. (I may try some tweaking as I read so much about it.). But I also heard it with the standard KGSSHV on a different DAC and a fully analogue system as well, it was something else - and I would be surprised, if the Carbon won't be better still.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #22,888 of 25,504
Inspired by mods done by @thinker I decided to try myself on my 007.

Removing all the layers of obstruction like the metalplate,spring and mesh aswell as sealing of the bassport with a 3Dprinted ring really livened the headphone up.
More Classic Omega I think? Very good bass and all the way down low.

Pictures:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YR_8nOHddE6p3EOReEpzxPIKRjLhS7xp/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YRNZ39mwJkr4D9YpWqkouK5TpqaeXQmL/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YL-Bjiw1lMbdvUhhWcqu5bpMEsjO2axP/view?usp=drivesdk

I also got a new set of 3dprinted rings made to work with the ZMF Oval pads, testing soon :)

Can you elaborate more on the dampening you speak of @thinker or is it a secret? I do not fully understand.

The 007mk2 in 009 case with new damping materials, i find this to be the all time best Stax phone, some friends were listening and they agree with this. I did install the driver tight and avoided using this time any screws wich connects its to case to get rid of all resonances. It's very musical detailed open wide smooth, everything in one package and long time satisfaction is guaranteed. It is above007/ X9K /Omega. Huge potentiality is hidden in 007 driver.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #22,889 of 25,504
Finally got my hands on a kgsshv amp from mjolnir audio. I read so many comments stating how a number of users liked it with the 007 and now I finally understand why there are so many recommendations for it. My version is the latest 2022 version that has a bit of the kgss klassic warmth and forgiveness. It's built very well and the volume knob has a bit of resistance compared the the novems volume knob.

The kgsshv changes my 007 mk1 from something that was relaxed and easy to listen to, into a headphone that is hyper dynamic and engaging (has more of a rock out take on sound). I think the amp is also helping with extension at the very top and very bottom. It does not make it a bass cannon mind you, but the dynamic punch/slam is so exciting and hard hitting. A fast tight sound that I really like, but I understand that it won't be for everyone.

After listening to my 009S on the kgsshv, while it is also impressive, I prefer it on my novem. I still use the rca 12ax7a tubes which trade some treble energy for bass quantity and subbass presence. The tube sound also softens the sound a bit (sounds a touch lush), but it is also brings out the dynamics similar to the kgsshv but not to the same extent as the kgsshv. I think I'm good for now on amps for my estats and can work on saving for the x9000.

Attachments

• 20220917_203914.jpg
    20220917_203914.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 19, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #22,890 of 25,504
I just got a 007mk2 and I must say that in stock form I prefer the ES-1a to it. I’m going to try the bass port mod today once my blu-tack arrives but if it doesn’t fix things I’ll have to part ways with the 007mk2. On the plus side there is a lot of bass. On the negative side the 007mk2’s bass was very monotone and the entire presentation seem way too shifted towards the lower registers. Treble seemed to take a large hit.

All of the above is on a KGGG amp and May DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back