The Stax Thread III
Jul 18, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #22,696 of 25,504
Why is Aeras, DIY T2, BHSE, CC, etc so expensive..? I can understand the typical $2-4K range lol, but what happens beyond that level of components..?

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #22,697 of 25,504
Price? Order site?
There is only the way to find one for sale, or buy a SRM-T1 and have a capable person modify it with 2x ECC99 tubes and CCS. I have one and am quite happy with it.

OR

…get a SRM-007T and have it converted with 4x 6S4A tubes and CCS. Mjolnir Audio offers those.

Both are no KGSSHV CARBON, BHSE, Megatron, T2 or the like, but nevertheless fine Amps for STAX!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #22,698 of 25,504
What do you get going from KGSSHV to Carbon? Then Carbon to CC? Then from CC to DIY T2?

With Carbon/CC/T2, I will essentially have more versatility/compatibility for other headphones, along with SQ boost?
For your 007, pick any of KGSShv / Carbon / CC / T2 depending on budget and long term goals. All are a great match. But if you find yourself overthinking this, which is easy - you can start with "just" a KGSShv and do great - see how you like that, and whether the thought of "going further" excites you.

I haven't heard Mjolnir Carbon or CC, but the KGSShv Carbon gives better dynamics, detail, and bass slam over even the best KGSShv builds. My KGSShv Carbon was a tad bright for 009 and L700, but perfect for 007 Mk I. Eksonic Aeras is also definitely worth looking at in the CC price range. And the DIY T2 beats diminishing returns expectations, in case you decide to go "all the way". Headamp BHSE is also a superb all-around amp, but for 007 specifically, I'd go Carbon over that.

The modded Stax amps on offer by Mjolnir are very interesting, at a reasonable price point. But I'd still expect a KGSShv to be noticeably better for 007.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #22,699 of 25,504
Didn't even notice that the lettering wasn't common until you mentioned it.

Removable cable was an experimental when I asked Benson from ES Labs if he could make the ES1a with removable cable.
He ask he why, I told him I got spare cable when I got my SR-Ω. It would be great to compare the ES1a vs the SR-Ω sound wise.
If they both using the same cable, would take away the equation if the cable affected the ES1a sound in any way.
He told me it would take a few month for R&D if it was feasible. A bit over a month later I think, he said here the total and send me this pic.
This one is number 57, who know if you ask him I'm sure he will do it for you if you ask nicely. It a premium on top of the base price.

UPDATE: ES Lab accepts request ES1a with removable cable.

bCnf3Nw.jpg
the brand new omega original cable are still available on the second-hand market in China for about 12000 chinese yuan , or $1779

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #22,700 of 25,504
Why is Aeras, DIY T2, BHSE, CC, etc so expensive..? I can understand the typical $2-4K range lol, but what happens beyond that level of components..?
Probably a combination of parts quality, assembly labor, superior construction and finish, and amortizing development and marketing costs over a limited number of units.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #22,701 of 25,504
The T2 build is at a completely different level than the others. Extremely complex. Massive parts count. Tons of heat to dissipate. Plus the usual electrostatic amp issue of safely routing & insulating all those very high voltages.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #22,702 of 25,504
I believed Kerry said the most expensive part was the chassis work, this is one of the post. Some of the cost is the customer service experiences as well, Kerry is definitely very easy to work with.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #22,703 of 25,504
I had the same issue wit my 009’s and send them in for service. Turned out to just be a bad connection that had to be re-soldered.
So maybe have the service center check the connections before replacing the units!

Thanks, that's good advice. I'll mention it to them.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #22,704 of 25,504
What do you get going from KGSSHV to Carbon? Then Carbon to CC? Then from CC to DIY T2?

With Carbon/CC/T2, I will essentially have more versatility/compatibility for other headphones, along with SQ boost?
The carbon is a Mutiple (2-4x ?) more power than the standard kgsshv, and the translation is an improved soundstage, hardness and bass - but most notably smoother highs. The actual improvement to the sound maybe like 10%?
It's clearly improved, and the difference is more noted with more demanding headphones (007/crbn being in the high end of that spectrum). KGSS, KGSShv, KGSShv Carbon are linearly more powerful than each other. The CC, however, is a premium build of the carbon (aka higher quality wiring and other more expensive build pieces), but I don't believe it's incrementally more powerful. Birgir himself said the difference is not that big sonically.

DIY T2 is a tube hybrid, which has a different sound to the pure SS amps. Virtually everyone's feedback that has had the chance to hear it, is that DIY T2 it is the end-all amp. The difficulty in building is immense. It's as much art as it is an amp.

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #22,705 of 25,504
KGSS according to Stax Mafia, is a decked out 007t with all the tube mod and CCS plus a better power supply.

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #22,706 of 25,504
KGSS according to Stax Mafia, is a decked out 007t with all the tube mod and CCS plus a better power supply.
Nope, KGSS IS “Solid State” hence the “SS” - different animal than hybrid amps like 007T. Guess you meant to say KGST which is “Single Triode” :wink:

Jul 19, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #22,708 of 25,504
For 007 you need at least 450V output.. 727 amps are around minimum for enough volume headspace. More power = more headroom, which is good for sound quality.

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #22,709 of 25,504
The carbon is a Mutiple (2-4x ?) more power than the standard kgsshv
I see, I see... There's pretty much zero spec info for the Mjolnir stuff(at the site), so I was definitely wondering about power differences. Still am, I guess. Maybe 500V for KGSSHV, and 1000V for Carbon? Or 450/1600? This info would definitely help for choosing.

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #22,710 of 25,504
I see, I see... There's pretty much zero spec info for the Mjolnir stuff(at the site), so I was definitely wondering about power differences. Still am, I guess. Maybe 500V for KGSSHV, and 1000V for Carbon? Or 450/1600? This info would definitely help for choosing.
A quote from Kevin Gilmore himself regarding voltage swing goes on about how for dynamic amplifiers the same voltage swing at 1khz and 20khz is easy but for e-stats it is difficult, and that's actually the right way to think about the difference. The carbon is about 2x the kgsshv. BHSE is not as powerful but has other advantages to its sonic presentation given the tubes which is why people rank BHSE/Carbon as equal. Megatron and T2 are the more powerful tube amps. Unfortunately, no one is building megatrons. Mjolnir did for a little while but hasn't for few years now. Maybe we should petition to bring it back.

"450 v power supplies require 14ma of output current.
a carbon can easily do 18 to 20 ma
a kgsshv is limited to a max of about 9ma

400v power supplies require 12ma of output current
a BHSE will easily do this and more

350v power supplies requires 10.6ma of output current
Most stax amps (t1,717,727,007t...) are 350v power supplies and can only supply about 7ma"

1658218625449.png

1658218763674.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back