The Stax Thread III
Jul 16, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #22,666 of 25,560
It's plastic (product page says CNC'd aluminum and nylon plastic parts). They sell spare headbands if you're concerned :)
I'll say the metal cups are fairly impressive, and the build is beautiful overall. The 009 headband is plastic, too!
Thanks! I was just not sure which parts were aluminum and which plastic. I had the trauma of the headband of an Omega shatter while gently taking it off my head. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Glad to hear that about the ES-1a.

Heheh! I have the 007s (both mk1 and 2) and the 009s but the headbands were thicker by then…

Thanks for your views on the build. I’ve just pulled the trigger and have placed an order with Benson. In a few months, I will ponder his take on the R10. :)

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #22,667 of 25,560
Omega shatter
Stax's rubbish lambdas bands on the Omega. Such a shame.
The Es1a also have the lame lambdas band. Feels a little bit more sturdy.
20220405_134628.jpg

I will ponder his take on the R10.
Its pretty darn good. The ES-R10 did great justice to Sony MDR R10, not like plywoodman

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #22,668 of 25,560
I did really like the ES1A…..it’s really a musical headphones with wider and deeper sound field than the 009. Wish I bought one earlier when it is a little cheaper than now. I Definitely will buy one in the future. Should I save up for the X9000 or just get the ES1A though?

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #22,669 of 25,560
I did really like the ES1A…..it’s really a musical headphones with wider and deeper sound field than the 009. Wish I bought one earlier when it is a little cheaper than now. I Definitely will buy one in the future. Should I save up for the X9000 or just get the ES1A though?
There is currently a 15% discount on the ES1a. :)

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #22,670 of 25,560
Stax's rubbish lambdas bands on the Omega. Such a shame.
The Es1a also have the lame lambdas band. Feels a little bit more sturdy.
20220405_134628.jpg

Its pretty darn good. The ES-R10 did great justice to Sony MDR R10, not like plywoodman
Thanks @protoss ! I will circle back for the ES-R10 in due course. :)

Jul 17, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #22,671 of 25,560
There is currently a 15% discount on the ES1a. :)
Lol, got to love the 15% discount that keeps moving up and is always on. Kind of reminds me of Harbor Freight. If the “sale” is always going on then its not a sale…its the normal price.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #22,672 of 25,560
It’s great to see so many new ES-1a owners. The headphone, and Bensons deserve the attention and appreciation. My question for you guys is how you feel it sounds on tubes vs solid state, if you’ve been able to do such comparisons. I’m so close to going back to all-tubes but the ES loses some of its speed and transient edges on tubes for me. I’ve rolled a bunch of tubes and no change to that, so I wonder if it really is just best paired with solid state (to be fair, my CCS modded hybrid 006t sounds great with it, but that’s not really what I consider a tube amp like the Electra). Anyone listen to it on a T2?
Only true tube amp I know of for electrostatic headphones are the megatron and the headamp aristaeus.
The other you mentioned, I'm pretty sure the final drive stage is solid state.

The ES1a has really impressed an audiophile buddy of mine who generally dislikes (or has a hard time engaging with) headphones. He also loved the ES-R10. And @purk came by yesterday and was impressed with the ES1a too :) It feels like this is what the 009S should have been (sort of vexing that the 009S costs more than 009, while the 009 is still better IMO). My initial complaints about ES1a's darkness have been melting away in the last couple weeks. They are still reasonably warm, especially compared to 009. They do pair excellently with a particularly neutral KGSShv (my favorite variant of 5 different sounding versions I've heard - minis too bright, Sanyos too warm).

I'll hopefully get to run the ES1a on T2 in a few weeks. Maybe @number1sixerfan can fill in his experience there? ES Lab is looking like the best value in high-end headphones today. Mad respect for Benson, here.

Remember that the T2 is kind of "magic". It will warm up and fix tonality of the 009. Then it will open up the 007 Mk I. And it will grant the he90 balls for rock. There's no way a single amp can do all that - except for magic! So I don't expect the ES1a will be any kind of mismatch, there.
That matchwes my finding with the KGSShv variant, the non sanyo, non mini is the best combo for the ES1a.
Also, I think maybe some listener that find them dark might be confused because their laid back nature.

Anyway, the ES1a and the ES-R10 are both pretty good value if you want to experience the best on a budget.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #22,673 of 25,560
Jul 17, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #22,674 of 25,560
experience the best on a budget.
I will not call this a "budget." We have been manipulated and lied too!

This is a respectful proper price of what a high end, end game headphone pricing should be!

All endgame headphones should be priced at $1500 total period!

Budget should be considered $500.

All companies that pricing their gear over to 4k to 6k + should be ashamed of themselves. If they can't deliver a endgame product at common sense price, they are schiit so to speak.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #22,675 of 25,560
How about get both and tell us all what you think after you do a comparision?

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #22,676 of 25,560
It's a hybrid that uses a lot of transistors. Like, a LOT. Most electrostatic "tube" amps are actually hybrids, and the T2 is most complex of all.

The HEV90 and Aristaeus its clones (not that there are many) are another of the few all-tube amps. It's not as powerful as the modern hybrids. The hybrid approach is common for a reason.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #22,677 of 25,560
It's a hybrid that uses a lot of transistors. Like, a LOT. Most electrostatic "tube" amps are actually hybrids, and the T2 is most complex of all.

The HEV90 and Aristaeus its clones (not that there are many) are another of the few all-tube amps. It's not as powerful as the modern hybrids. The hybrid approach is common for a reason.
I thought the Megatron was all tube too, just more powerful than the HEV90 & Aristaeus.

I will not call this a "budget." We have been manipulated and lied too!

This is a respectful proper price of what a high end, end game headphone pricing should be!

All endgame headphones should be priced at $1500 total period!

Budget should be considered $500.

All companies that pricing their gear over to 4k to 6k + should be ashamed of themselves. If they can't deliver a endgame product at common sense price, they are schiit so to speak.
Yes I agree with you're views, however those day and long gone. Audeze and Hifiman kinda kick started that trend with LCD2 $1000 > LCD3 $2000 > LCD 4 $4000 or was it $3000. I'll never forget Dr. Fang Bian, justification quote. Why it so expensive, because it sounds good.
But hey, I think it much better value to get ES1a & ES-R10 than a LCD 5 for example and still have some changes left.
Audeze owner don't take this the wrong way, it just my opinion. If you love your LCD, then that's all that matter.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #22,678 of 25,560
I thought the Megatron was all tube too, just more powerful than the HEV90 & Aristaeus.
Yes Megatron is all-tube, I didn't mean to exclude other amps from the "all tube" banner, just include the hev90 / Aristaeus and note that T2 is a hybrid that's VERY heavy in sand! All the Stax-made tube amps are hybrids too.

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #22,679 of 25,560
@mulveling
thanks for the detailed explanation

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #22,680 of 25,560
Just to go over this topic once more, as I am very close now to being able to order...

For 007(latest/newest), should I go for Mjolnir KGSSHV or KGST? (Or something I'm unaware of at that price?)

My friend has a 007a+"KGSS Mini", and said he wished he had the money for a tube amp. I absolutely don't need TWO input jacks. Perhaps the disadvantage of one amp is that it sounds not as good with 007, but is more well-rounded for other L700/etc?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back