The Stax Thread III
Jul 24, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #20,611 of 25,660
While comparing amps to each other, drive your headphones very loud, something like in 100db-105db range. Differences between amps become very accessible around that level, and once you hear the difference, you can hear it while listening around 85db too. (Remind you, 85db is 4 times less loud than 105db.)

And as for headphones, you can never know how they sound without listening. Try as much headphones as you can.

Disclaimer: I am fully biased, since I have a KGSS for sale!

With that said, I feel the Gilmore amps are head and shoulders above the mid and entry level stax amps, such as the 252.

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #20,613 of 25,660
they also cost more than the top tier Stax offerings, though.

You're generally right, especially if you're looking at certain makers. However, when I was looking I found that there wasn't much difference between KGSS and KGST and some of the stax models. Once you move up a bit to the KGSSHV Carbons and Blue Hawaii there is a really big difference in cost.

Jul 25, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #20,614 of 25,660
Are Omegas (007 and 009) comparable with other top headphones like Utopia, HE1000, Diana V2 or Virite?

Jul 25, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #20,617 of 25,660
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #20,618 of 25,660
Are Omegas (007 and 009) comparable with other top headphones like Utopia, HE1000, Diana V2 or Virite?
Everything in engineering is a compromise and the compromises engineers did with 009 are very different than with 007 or Utopia. From my experience, nothing compares to 009 in terms of imaging and transparency. On 009 everything comes through very specific spots in space and the coordinates of sound images(x, y, z) are super precise in the sound field.(pinpoint imaging) Headstage of 009 wraps around the head with a good dac and the transparency is so high that, it feels like sounds are magically appearing around you and floating around freely, rather than coming from a headphone driver. (Abyss 1266 phi tc almost manages to do that; Omega I, Shangri La also does that) I've tried Abyss, Susvara, owned SR1A too. SR1A has nothing going on below 50hz(and distorts like hell), rolls off very quickly after 9khz. Abyss is full of non linearities, resonances, cancellations in the frequency domain after 2khz and they don't sound different than how they measure(duh), for example the treble distortion on Abyss 1266 phi tc is quite audible. Susvara has really good midrange tonality, but Susvara is *jack of all trades, master of none* kind of headphone. Very good investment indeed, but they don't do anything better than what speakers can do. Due to room modes, room interactions only few speakers can really deliver pinpoint accurate imaging and(Kii Three + XBT costs 32k$) 009/ES1A fills that gap for me. Since I don't have Kii Three lying around, until I get a pair I'll keep using my Staxes.

Back to 009: The problem with 009 is the lack of bass. I EQ 009's +4db down from 200hz and I add another +2db down from 60hz. In stock form, of course lack of bass makes mids and treble come a bit more forward and makes sound 009 even more detailed. Do you care about good imaging, detail and transparency more than anything? Stax. do you want to engage with your music effortlessly? Utopia. Do you want to have a good all rounder? Susvara. Do you want to decorate your room, are you looking for fancy looking furniture? ZMF.

And yes when we say these stuff in forums, discord servers... they call us *Stax cult*. So be it then.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #20,620 of 25,660
Subjectivists would say *yes*. I'll say * almost *.

Of course, I EQ'd both to harman curve before(or I EQ'd 007 to match 009's response, using AutoEQ), They sound super similar to each other. However, I wouldn't call them 1:1 identical in terms of how they sound to me. Even while both are EQ'd to harman curve, details are still more accessible with 009. This is something that I keep contemplating about since a while.

My Speculations:

1- Bigger drivers(in size) makes the stage and sound images bigger. This might be effecting my perception & psychology while listening. This also happens while listening to super big speakers.(like Wilson Audio's stuff).
2- I think driver size/pads formation plays a huge role in how the soundstage is formed. 007 and 009's soundstage is formed differently in shape and depth.
3- Leakage. I think 007 blocks backwaves of the driver with its stators more. 007 sounds more closed in compared to 009. With or without EQ. Sometimes I put 009 to my desk and listen to backwaves of the driver(circa 1 meter distance), the imaging is still superb. This isn't the case with 007. 007's imaging is significantly better while I'm wearing them. Maybe I am misinterpreting what I experience though, I can never know.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #20,621 of 25,660
Does anyone have a good comparison between Woo Audio Wes vs other Stax Amp such as KGHV or even blue Hawaii? I have a 2nd version of Wes and 007 Mk1, to my ear, the sound warm and thick. I remember someone mentioned that 009 is a good match to WES...but I am curious how Wes compare to others? It seems no one is even talk about WES these days, it can’t be even worse than 717, is it? Thanks

Jul 26, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #20,622 of 25,660
Does anyone have a good comparison between Woo Audio Wes vs other Stax Amp such as KGHV or even blue Hawaii? I have a 2nd version of Wes and 007 Mk1, to my ear, the sound warm and thick. I remember someone mentioned that 009 is a good match to WES...but I am curious how Wes compare to others? It seems no one is even talk about WES these days, it can’t be even worse than 717, is it? Thanks
I see that you owe Utopia, Verite and Susvara. How are they compared to 007?

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #20,623 of 25,660
To me, 007 sounded like a cheap chi-fi headphone (on Blue Hawaii SE).
009 is indeed comparable to Utopia or AB1266, but you have to audition them before purchase, as such a choice is 100% a matter of personal taste.
Better buy something that suites your taste, than trying to EQ the wrong headphone to death.

009 doesn't take EQ very well, at least in the bass region.

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #20,624 of 25,660
009 doesn't take EQ very well, at least in the bass region.

I guess it depends on what your are trying to achieve, but I have not found that to be the case at all. I EQ my 009s with Roon for two-channel and with a Realiser A-16 for multi-channel and get superb results from both. With the A-16 + SR009, I get thunderous visceral bass from movie soundtracks.

Edit: However, I do agree with the advice to audition.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #20,625 of 25,660
I still think the 009 is super underrated today given the current climate of TOTL headphones.

I see the 009 easily competing with 1266 Phi Tc, Susvara, HE6, etc. It just has a different set of pros versus the other cans.

For 009, I would generally describe it as: ethereal, super fast, no coloration/very flat response, treble can get hot dependent on app, bass improves over time and it extends well to the lowest registers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back