The Stax Thread III
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #19,276 of 25,533
Is there a list somewhere of all commercially available electrostatic amps and their specifications? I am looking for TOTL and I do my research and then someone mentions some obscure manufacturer that makes 3 a year in a shed at the bottom of a volcano that is supposed to be the best and then I realise I don't know exactly what is available.

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #19,277 of 25,533
Is there a list somewhere of all commercially available electrostatic amps and their specifications? I am looking for TOTL and I do my research and then someone mentions some obscure manufacturer that makes 3 a year in a shed at the bottom of a volcano that is supposed to be the best and then I realise I don't know exactly what is available.
It is the seasoning by the volcanic ash that makes those special

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #19,279 of 25,533
Nov 11, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #19,280 of 25,533
i have no idea who build it i bought it in headfi back in 2014, the amp is 117V but I plug it directly into japan grid which is 100V and the fuze broke twice i then replace it with a furutech one but after a few month it smoke and RIP

Well that explains a lot. You're running it at the wrong voltages, you should have gotten someone with skill to change it to the correct voltages.
Where the old amp? I bet you might just need a new transformer or a few bits of piece here and there to get it back to working order.

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #19,281 of 25,533
Well that explains a lot. You're running it at the wrong voltages, you should have gotten someone with skill to change it to the correct voltages.
Where the old amp? I bet you might just need a new transformer or a few bits of piece here and there to get it back to working order.
The amp is lying in my friend house as I do not know anyone can fix it
If anyone who know someone who is capable to fix it please kindly introduce me.

the guy who sold me the amp back in 2014 told me that the different between 100V and 117V is tiny and the amp should run alright in japan without a step up transformer.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #19,282 of 25,533
The amp is lying in my friend house as I do not know anyone can fix it
If anyone who know someone who is capable to fix it please kindly introduce me.

the guy who sold me the amp back in 2014 told me that the different between 100V and 117V is tiny and the amp should run alright in japan without a step up transformer.

If it is 117V running at 60hz and you plug it into 100V 50hz, it enough to blow something up.

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #19,284 of 25,533
Hi,

I just bought 353x energizer and I am wondering if some of the experienced mates here can help me with the suggestion on xlr connection which the energizer can take.
I have these pics taken from one of the cables I was looking at and also the pic of the back of 353x. Please help in explaining if this cable with be ok OR the energizer takes any standard xlr cable?

Attachments

• BADD6F6F-AF30-43B8-9368-A493D84BB3C7.jpeg
    BADD6F6F-AF30-43B8-9368-A493D84BB3C7.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 52453DAB-9F2A-42DE-8BD6-047F8B73D2A0.png
    52453DAB-9F2A-42DE-8BD6-047F8B73D2A0.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Nov 12, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #19,285 of 25,533
Hi,

I just bought 353x energizer and I am wondering if some of the experienced mates here can help me with the suggestion on xlr connection which the energizer can take.
I have these pics taken from one of the cables I was looking at and also the pic of the back of 353x. Please help in explaining if this cable with be ok OR the energizer takes any standard xlr cable?
it takes normal RCA and XLR cable so it should work.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #19,286 of 25,533
It should work.

Hi,

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #19,287 of 25,533
Hi,

That's the input. You usually connect a DAC there. What are you planning on connecting to it?

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #19,288 of 25,533
That's the input. You usually connect a DAC there. What are you planning on connecting to it?
Hi currently I have the Zen Dac, so planning connect balanced out to Xlr of 353x. I believe balanced out from Zen Dac would be better than RCA which I am currently using. if someone has experience here, welcome to comment.

I would like to upgrade my DAC in future, any suggestions (I am driving L700s)??

thanks Tumpux and Elton for your replies!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #19,289 of 25,533
Hi currently I have the Zen Dac, so planning connect balanced out to Xlr of 353x. I believe balanced out from Zen Dac would be better than RCA which I am currently using. if someone has experience here, welcome to comment.

I would like to upgrade my DAC in future, any suggestions (I am driving L700s)??

thanks Tumpux and Elton for your replies!

I have L300s (and NB Lambdas, RR1s and Hives) connected to an unmodded SRM-T1S and recently made the decision on a new DAC. I had used it with a Modi MB and a Khadas Toneboard and they were nice, but I wanted something more. I am less concerned about measurements, but if you are just get a Topping and be happy, imo. I wanted an R2R DAC, and looked at RME ADI-2, Soekris 1541, and Denafripe ARES II. I would have been happy with any of those, and I looked into the EC Designs Mosaic UV too - but ultimately I found a good deal on a used Schiit Bifrost 2 and have been very happy with it. I worried the R2Rs (and Schiit specifically) could eliminate the crisp high end of electrostatics but I haven't found that to be the case. I've found the bass to have a lot more heft with it, yes, but the separation and soundstage were improved over the Mimby and the Khadas, without taking away the electrostatic magic that made me sell off most of dynamics and planars in the first place.

I also wanted to share my little dustcover hack, using an Amazon stadium-friendly clear tote bag that I got, 2 for $11. It fits perfectly on all my dual-can stands. I've been very happy with them. I just cut off the handles.
dusytop.jpg

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #19,290 of 25,533
I have a 717 and the polarity is reversed on the xlr connectors. I think it is that way on most of the Stax amps.
There is a company on Amazon that makes custom cables using several different types of cable and I had them make me me a nice set to the length I wanted in reverse polarity. Using standard cables does not really make a difference as far as I know but I wanted the signal to run true as it was designed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back