The Stax Thread III
Nov 6, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #19,261 of 25,529
It is plausible that @PointyFox achieved this on his first attempt.

Here is what it looked for me:
KlippelTest_history.jpg

To me, the appeal of such tests is that they give some indication whether the hearing is good enough to justify above average spending on audio equipment.

If you liked this test, you might want to have a look at http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.com/
You can become a "trained listener" if you reach a certain level.
The software was written in 2011 for Windows XP but still runs on Windows 10.

I guess that I approach the off-topic edge in this Stax thread, so I leave it at that.

I got it on my first try.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #19,264 of 25,529
I just founf
If, somehow you come across someone who has one. Do anything to listen to them properly, you won't regret it.
For an indication of pricing in 2009 @ $6500 for a good condition one. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-stax-sr-Ω-sr-omega.404877/

doyouknowSBmean had 2 unicorn and sold one.
not too long ago on headfi for $9500-$10000 around that price, I don't know the condition.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-sr-Ω-sr-omega-the-legendary-omega.847079/page-2

I just found out a Hong Kong Company currently producing SR-Omega clone, which makes me really wonder how it compare to the real Omega.
https://www.eslabhk.com/product-page/es-1-alpha-electrostatic-headphone
still very expensive for a clone.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #19,265 of 25,529
They sound really good though. They are cheap for how they sound. They have "ethereal" sound signature like 009's but with better bass and better tonality.(less sharper treble, better mid tone) Imaging is slightly better on 009 and also the detail. Detail may be more accessible with 009 just because 009 is a bit shoutier. But these are differences are almost ignorable. I just wish he'd used better looking protective metal grills at back side of the drivers. They look a bit too DIY because of cheap looking metal grills. That'd be my only complaint.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #19,266 of 25,529
They sound really good though. It's cheap for how they sound. They have "ethereal" sound signature like 009's but with better bass and better tonality.(less sharp treble, better mid tone) Imaging is slightly better on 009 and also the detail. Detail may be more accessible with 009 because 009 is a bit shoutier. But these are differences are almost ignorable. I just wish he'd use better looking protective metal grills at back side of the drivers. They look a bit too DIY because of cheap looking metal grills. That'd be my only complaint.
your review looks very promising and tempting epically when I'm sort of looking for something that I don't have at the moment, yeah the build quality looks even worst compare to hifiman

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #19,267 of 25,529
I don't like how they don't have the removable cable like the Stax SR Ω. I wonder if the leather pads will fit the Stax SR Ω.
Don't like the fake leather pads on the Stax SR Ω

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #19,268 of 25,529
From what I've read they're pretty heavy (600g es1a vs 454g SR-009, both without cable).

Big review here.

TLDR: It sounds like a SR-009S but has about the same overall sound quality as the SR-007.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #19,269 of 25,529
From what I've read they're pretty heavy (600g es1a vs 454g SR-009, both without cable).

Big review here.

TLDR: It sounds like a SR-009S but has about the same overall sound quality as the SR-007.
if it sounds like a 009s I rather save up longer to get a 009s...the only reason i will consider that thing is if it sounds like the original omega lol

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #19,270 of 25,529
if it sounds like a 009s I rather save up longer to get a 009s...the only reason i will consider that thing is if it sounds like the original omega lol
No, from the impressions [ latest one here ] it sounds somewhat different from all the Stax headphones, it can be related to one or another but overall it has its own "house" sound (you can also find Spritzer's impression elsewhere, he has both and thinks it is an 'unfair' comparison)
The SR-009 and SR-009S are tuned more towards clarity and dynamics over a warmer, more mellow style of play.
The closest sound to the original Omega is the (early) SR-007 Mk1. But of course with significant differences, like:
-more bass, slightly less treble (sweet treble on both)
-smaller, more focused and layered soundstage (the Omega has a very big stage with slightly imprecise separation)
-the Omega is much less sensitive to fit and more comfortable (not heavy like the SR-009)

Maybe the Lambda Nova Signature has a 'whiff' of Omega about it (same era with 1.5µ thick diapgrahm) but still vastly different, the bass on the Lambda series is gerenally quite far off the Omegas and the upper mid presentation is different.

And of course, in these modern times we have DACs and amps that can bring out these differences a lot more.

So nothing really sounds the Omega, some say the HE90 does have somewhat similar presentation, I didn't hear them at the same time, but I think apart from the diffused staging, they are significantly different.

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #19,271 of 25,529
That's one heck of a review. They describe the es1a as sounding "interesting, fun, confusing, weird, odd, problematic, airy, fatiguing, unique, harsh, and not right".

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #19,272 of 25,529
I keep hearing about this (talking about electrostatic headphones, quoting from the review) "they mostly shared a similar “soft, ethereal” bass presentation where the note is heard and decays too quickly with little sense of impact." That may be true for some models.
However the bass presentation from my Neumann subwoofers(whole system is flat from 18hz to 20khz) is extremely similar with my SR007's... same texture, almost same attack and same decay. For years I heard how ethereal bass presentation electrostatics have, I believed in that too. Questioned what I'm hearing. Maybe Staxes are just too neutral and most other headphones are not.(talking only about bass). I'd like to know if I'm alone in this. My investigation will continue. I am not sure of anything yet.

about my ES-1A impressions, I am probably the last guy to ask about tonality. I mostly listen to ambient music, chamber music or very impactful hardcore techno stuff. (music with no vocals in general) Those genres almost do not require proper tonality to please the listener. I check imaging, detail, layering, bass/mid/treble texture more than anything else. ES-1A is doing well relatively to high electrostatic headphones in these aspects.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #19,273 of 25,529
Just bought the Mjolnir-Audio KGSShv Carbon from a friend who just bought it from Birgir about 3months ago...I used to own the normal KGSShv for many years until it blew up. The Carbon is so different in all aspects compare to the normal KGSShv, where the carbon seems to have so much extra power, better bass extension and a warmer presentation which makes me question if the carbon is a hybird amp or what...the old KGSShv tend to be much rough in presentation and hot on treble with the 009. My Initial impression with the carbon reminds me very much of the Headamp BHSE , just not as sweet and tube sounding.

They are definitely at the same level, where I prefer solid state amp since I don’t have to wait for that long until the tubes warm up.

Comparing the BHSE, the carbon seems to have a wider soundstage and more precise in terms of positioning. However when i open the case I was shock by the size of the circuit, the carbon its much smaller than my old KGSShv which makes me wonder how this magic happen.

OLD KGSShv photo already R.I.P
IMG_0649.JPG

NEW KGSShv Carbon
S__41517089.jpg
S__41517091.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #19,275 of 25,529
Who made it and how did it blow up? I want to try to prevent mine from doing that.

i have no idea who build it i bought it in headfi back in 2014, the amp is 117V but I plug it directly into japan grid which is 100V and the fuze broke twice i then replace it with a furutech one but after a few month it smoke and RIP

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back