The Stax Thread III
Sep 1, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #18,016 of 25,473
Selling my SR007 early MK1 to pourchase à SR009s. If someone is interested...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-stax-sr-007-mk1-rare-early-model-like-new.913164/

Indeed, I already have a SR009, and, since I want to listen with my wife, the combo SR009 + SR007 is not appropriate because of the difference in sensibility, hense in listening livel: either the SR009 is too loud or the SR007 is not loud enough.

So... I will purchase another SR009 to have booth listening at the sale volume level.
I listen with my girlfriend a lot, and having an amp with 2 Stax jacks and both a 009 and 009S is freaking awesome. Most ladies don't have the patience or inclination to sit and listen tethered like this, but we both enjoy it a lot. I also have a very high-end 2ch setup that we primarily listen to, but even still sometimes the Stax just hits the spot!

Also my T2 has been out of commission for a bit, and also my hev90 balanced, so finally I dusted off my last remaining KGSShv - an older 500V IXYS implementation (on-board heat sinks), that was always my favorite of the KGSShv flavors despite not being as warm as the Sanyo builds. Wow, the KGSShv still rocks! I know it can't stand head to head with a T2, but now that it's been a while it sounds glorious in its own right. The 500V IXYS tonality is closer to what I deem "neutral", and not too far off the T2 in that respect. Its treble isn't subdued by any means, but it holds back that last bit of bite & energy that can make the Carbon too aggressive for a plain 009 (in some systems). Purk offered to loan me his Carbon, and I know it's better overall, but I think I'll be just fine getting reacquainted with this old friend.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #18,017 of 25,473
I am sure down the thread some will suggest, why not listen to speakers instead.

Perhaps to avoid disturbing others at given sound levels?
Perhaps the kids are sleeping?
Or they are listening to music on the terrace late night watching the moon-bathing sea and don't want to disturb the seagulls?
Or just find it more romantic how each one looks with headphones? :)
I'm sure this can be meme-ified to infinity :D.
(BTW I mostly listen to speakers. That space and body... the sound massaging - or beating the hell out of - all your cells... However, I love my headphones, too.).

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #18,018 of 25,473
Hi everyone,
I had a 404 with a SRM-006tA
I sold the 404 a few months back, and kept the amp thinking i would get a pair of L300 or L500 to try.
In the end, I'm not sure i'll try those anytime soon.
what is your advice abour the amp ? Should I keep it just in case ? Should I sell it and buy another one when i decide to try the Stax sound again ? :)
the SRM-006tA is only taking up some space in our house, and I get some pressure to get rid of it from a significant person here :D

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #18,021 of 25,473
Thank you both, for your advice. I might need a third opinion to break the tie :D
if I did sell it, what kind of price would be fair ?
I dont have the box anymore, it came with an extension cable, and a power converter for 220-230V in Europe.

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #18,023 of 25,473
Thank you both, for your advice. I might need a third opinion to break the tie :D
if I did sell it, what kind of price would be fair ?
I dont have the box anymore, it came with an extension cable, and a power converter for 220-230V in Europe.

Sell it and build a DIY T2 to keep in the hall closet until you get the STAX bug again.:beyersmile:

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #18,024 of 25,473
@Amish
I don't really need the money, but it would come in handy to try new headphones :)
I plan to try Stax again when I get more experience in the Audio game. For now, I can't really tell if the amp is even any good.

@Jones Bob
that's an interesting idea, actually. maybe saving up for the cost of the materials over a long time, and when i finally have enough, that would mean I should try Stax again :)
Thanks !

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #18,025 of 25,473
I have my Stax SRM-T1 for sale right now. But I replaced it with a Mjolnir Audio Octave III. I won't ever sell this one though. Its fantastic. Now that I have dipped my toes into Electrostatic I am selling a lot of my amps and headphones. My Stax L700 mkii is end game for me.

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #18,027 of 25,473
@Jones Bob that advice will hurt the hip pocket. DIY T2 build command around 10K these day. OUCH!
And to leave it in the closet is just down right wrong.

Sep 6, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #18,028 of 25,473
@Jones Bob that advice will hurt the hip pocket. DIY T2 build command around 10K these day. OUCH!

Maybe that's the point. By the time it comes out of closet, it might cost more to build. If that rate is better than the bank, why not? :)

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #18,029 of 25,473

Thank you for your concern !
Actually, the way I took it was that, as it is costly, I can gather the elements over a long time, and by the time I have them all ready to asssemble, I should be ready to try Stax again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back