1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Stax Thread III

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by currawong, Aug 20, 2013.
Tags:
  1. thinker
    IMG_2781.jpg Today i tested Phenomenon with Staxes.Not enough power to drive for instance a 007mk2 to bliss but 009 is excellent and is perfect with my all time favorite Stax Lambda signature.The amp is dead quite no audible hiss or hum.The sound is more like otl tube amp very relaxed stll dynamic very open and plenty of air.Excellent amp for Lambdas and 009.Here also a inside picture of the NOS dac wich i mentioned earlier, Dave sounds very dry and lifeless compared to this.All together this combo reminds me of a reel to reel taperecorder

IMG_2813.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. thinker
    IMG_2773.jpg and a modified Canorum

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. Whitigir
    Wow, that look like the best sounding Stax energizer

4. buzzlulu
    I’m sorry however you denigrate Birgir and KG - and the Mjolinir Carbon and HeadAmp BHSE, and then show a picture of that????

You have to be kidding.

Whitigir likes this.
  5. thinker
    Ordered the KG carbon ,delivery time is 1 -2 month let's see how different they are

6. Tugbars
    Thinker didn't mention that Dima's Carbon is using 7$ ebay high voltage switchers which can handle 5 watts of output power and if they are forced to push 10 watts their main diodes simply blow up. it's also limited to 400V. I'm just importing the information from KG to here.

However, I've heard good things about Dima's earspeakers. I've heard that they are as fast as 009 while trebles are sounding better and overall tonality is better than 009. (have less soundstage than 009)

7. thinker
    -

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  8. billqs
    It's quite possible the Electrostatic phones are better than the amp. I use my Koss 950's exclusively with my KGsshv Carbon.

9. Mach3
    I have to say the Koss 950 modded with decent thick earpads and the sealing. Scales really well with better electrostatic drivers.

10. thinker
    The high voltage switcher 7$ is running the fan so no need to buy a better one and the amp is better than the phones

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    bidn likes this.
  11. billqs
    Would you mind pointing me to this mod? Thanks!

12. bwck2000
    I know an owner of phenomenon phones. I generally liked the headphone but he complained that the headphone makes a buzzing sound a lot even in normal volume listening, not to mention Large volume listening so he cannot listen to orchestral works with phenomenon phones .He said adjusting the DS gap makes the situation worst. While stax phone won't do this, I am curious what cause this defect?

bidn likes this.
  13. bwck2000
    Congrats with your finding. Will the thick pads make the coloring of the sound darker?

14. chinsettawong
    There could be some dust in the driver causing the noise.

15. bwck2000
    Perhap I used the wrong word, his exact wordings are " distortion when volume is turned up" , " cracking sound" and " severe fart" . I think he can distinguish noise caused by dust and this situation.

too small DS gap I guess ?