The Stax Thread III
Sep 16, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #16,366 of 25,541
This sounds like what happened with my SR-407. They had to be stretched so tight over my head I would get headaches.

I don't know how I fixed it. I pulled both driver cups off of the headband assembly to inspect them, and then I put them back on in exactly the same way they came off (at least as far as I can tell; they match the "before" pictures I snapped before taking them apart). But somehow, after I put them back together, they fit normally.

Is this your first pair of Lambdas?
Yes and I was hoping it would be the last ,I was thinking about pulling the rods out but the problem seems to be width wise (they don't stretch enough to the side) , cups only pivot so much
so they only rest above my ears

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #16,367 of 25,541
Yes and I was hoping it would be the last ,I was thinking about pulling the rods out but the problem seems to be width wise (they don't stretch enough to the side) , cups only pivot so much

L700 headband arc is the solution...not inexpensive solution though. Better articulation and top of the headband is almost a couple inches taller - you can easily put your hand inbetween the top of the strap and bottom of headband...and maybe even your arm...LOL Also much more relaxed clamp, doesn't squeeze your head tighter than an HD6XX like the stock L300 Limited. L700 pads help as well, noticeably softer than the firm L500 pads the L300 Limited comes with stock.

i-P2H7hqS.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #16,369 of 25,541

Could you post pictures?

ETA: so we can help figure out what's wrong! Not to point and laugh at the person with the abnormally large head :) why would you even think that?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #16,370 of 25,541
Could you post pictures?

ETA: so we can help figure out what's wrong! Not to point and laugh at the person with the abnormally large head :) why would you even think that?

L300LE were send back few days ago,I can get L700's for around $1100~$1300 new so no point reordering L300 LE at this point even tho they are up for grabs again , I'm Rh0negative so more like an alien head (it's highly classified-no pictures)

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #16,374 of 25,541
Pretty simple. If the socket has 6 holes including a center hole it is normal bias, if it only has 5 holes with no center hole it is pro bias.
Hmm okay, thanks. I’m buying an SR-507 along with a SRD-7. The SRD-7 seems to have the 6 pins, which I believe the SR-507 has 5.

He selling the combo for $400 which seems to be a pretty good deal. I also have a pair of original normal bias lambdas with no amplifier so I could use it to test those out and possibly sell that combo.

If I do though then I’d need a new amp. I have an Outlaw Audio RR2150 amp. Are there any modern energizers?

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #16,375 of 25,541
Hmm okay, thanks. I’m buying an SR-507 along with a SRD-7. The SRD-7 seems to have the 6 pins, which I believe the SR-507 has 5.

He selling the combo for $400 which seems to be a pretty good deal. I also have a pair of original normal bias lambdas with no amplifier so I could use it to test those out and possibly sell that combo.

If I do though then I’d need a new amp. I have an Outlaw Audio RR2150 amp. Are there any modern energizers?
There is the Woo Wee which people have said and theoretically proved that burns up the diaphragm of an ear speaker. However, I’ve never heard about this actually happening. The Spritzer energizer also seems fine, but I’ve never heard anything about it. The Audiovalve verto is also an energizer that can power dynamic headphones. The ifi iESL is also another option, but at ~$1500, I’d just get a dedicated amplifier.

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #16,376 of 25,541

You might like more your SR-Lambda, and it goes well with the SRD-7 (non-pro) + any power amp. You can compare it to the SR-507 (which will sound slightly different and quieter from the Normal bias than from a Pro bias socket) and eventually sell either the SR-Lambda+SRD-7 and buy an energizer, or keep them and sell the SR-507. I would likely go with the SRD-7 + SR-Lambda + eventually L700 pads (later, when you need to change pads), but your ears and your choice.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #16,377 of 25,541
Has anyone here tried out the SRM-D50 & D10? The D50 works very well with the SR009, not quite the Aristaeus or KGSSHV Carbon + X-Sabre Pro level, but is very respectable. Well done Stax! The D10 also impressed me quite a bit. To my ears, both the D50 &D10 were voiced to work well with the SR009.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #16,380 of 25,541
I heard the D50 with the 009S and 007, I liked it more than the T8000, but that doesn't mean much at all :).

The question is does one want this exact package or rather a separate DAC (e.g. Topping D10 with similar ES9018 or D50 with ES9038) + second hand energizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back