1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Stax Thread III

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by currawong, Aug 20, 2013.
Tags:
  1. Pokemonn
    Wow I just found the reason why my Stax systems couldn’t sound like good old 80’s Stax sound in my home.

It was main power breakers loosen and bad contacted tap screws! My house is over 30 years old house.

I just loosen a bit/re-tightend up them very hard.

Wow just Wow!

It sounds Utterly Creamy and Ultra Real! Good old Stax sound came back in my home!

As you know, any contact points of any electric circuits are MOST unreliable parts among all/any electronic parts/cuircuits.

and any old/bad contact points have wrong resistance. If current run resistance it makes voltage = noises.

E(main power noise voltage) = I(all home electronics total high current) * R (old/bad contact point resistance)

Its simple Ohm’s law and law of Physics.
    you may remember that Robb Watts of Chord said -180dB or -300dB mains noise are audible...In his opinion not mine Lol.

warning. I absolutely don’t recommend DIY re-tighned up tap screws of main brakers. it can be very dangerous! Let professionals do it.

hope this some newbies helps.
    happy listening!

Rob mentioned about power cord diffrences in this video.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Rhamnetin likes this.
  2. SteakWay
    Well I finally got an SRD-7 to pair with my Lambdas. Turns out I have a pretty big channel imbalance. I’ll try to blow some dust off the driver later today to see if that helps. Does resoldering the connections help as well?

3. bearFNF Contributor
    Did you try your 507s to make sure it is not the SRD7 that is causing the issue? If not, I would try that before messing with the lambdas.

4. SteakWay
    Well I bought an SRD-7 off of eBay. It turns out that the 507 was actually just another original Lambda, the owner just didn’t know what he had.

Also I’m certain that it’s the headphones because the driver casing was actually open when I recieved them.

bearFNF likes this.
  5. Eich1eeF
    But you're not applying it correctly. the only thing that happens if you effectively insert a resistor into your mains connection is that the Voltage drops - it remains as perfect or imperfect a sine curve as it was without the resistor. The E you get there is just the voltage drop, and it does not manifest in noise. If you want to discuss resistors and noise, that's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson–Nyquist_noise and it depends on temperature and has a constant depending on the specific resistor.

Yea, if you actually listened to what he said on mains cables, he expicitly explains that their influence is mainly through RF noise that enters the device and creates intermodulation products. So he's talking about signals with frequencies of at least tens or hundreds of kiloherz, while the Ohm's law "noise" you're talking about is at exactly 0 Hz. To reduce this noise, just add a ferrite core to your power cables.

If you can hear the difference in resistance due to loose connections in your fuse box, you should really replace the fuse box, because it's probably a fire hazard.

6. bearFNF Contributor
    Ack...that's not good. Hope you got a good deal...or can get some money back for not getting what you expected.

7. Pokemonn
    probablly i need more time to read your post to understand LOL.
    but i guess if home electoronics equipments(1kW Air conditioner etc) create huge noisy currents and they run turu resistance, then it create RF noise like voltage noises, I guess?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  8. Eich1eeF
    Well, they do probably create RF noise, but their electric motors also distort the the pretty sine of the mains voltage. Resistors are just linear, they can't add or remove this kind of distortion - they basically just multiply the incoming mains waveform with a constant factor. If you can actually hear in your audio rig if the AC is on or off, have an electrician install a mains filter for the AC. If you have 3 phase power, see to that it's on a separate phase from your audio equipment. Regarding over the air RF noise, I would expect the FCC or equivalent local agency to show up on your doorstep if that was too bad. Just see to that the enclosure or internal shielding is closed and grounded as the manufacturer prescribes.

DJ The Rocket and Pokemonn like this.
  9. Pokemonn
    ok Thanks a lot. Thats what i meant. anyway thank you for your advices.:beyersmile:

10. DJ The Rocket
  11. Pokemonn
    Yes! I just install Audio Technica AC noise filter(over -40dB reduction) between PS Audio power plant P3 and Rigs.
    and install RCA short pins on all rigs.I got a hint from his Air RF noise advice.
    wow super creamy yummy Class A sound! :o2smile: Thanks a lot @Eich1eeF! :darthsmile:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  12. Hubert481
    What did you miss on the d50 compared to Carbon ?
    Which one was better d10 or d50 ?

13. Whitigir
    Why is tubes glows so addictive and is a wonderful sight ?
    20180928_141907.jpg

HoloSpice, Rhamnetin and mulveling like this.
  14. oneguy
    Because it’s like gift of fire to audiophiles!

Whitigir likes this.
  15. mulveling Contributor
    A carry-over instinct from our primal ancestors, when the warm orange glow of a fire meant killing pathogens in our food, fending off wolves, and not freezing to death :D