The Stax Thread III
Jun 27, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #15,496 of 25,558
Is the T2 / DIY T2 something that "anyone" could get their hands on? I thought the T2 was exceedingly rare and that you would need the know how yourself to get a DIY T2. Also interesting to hear that people consider it significantly better than carbon / BHSE.

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #15,497 of 25,558
Is the T2 / DIY T2 something that "anyone" could get their hands on? I thought the T2 was exceedingly rare and that you would need the know how yourself to get a DIY T2. Also interesting to hear that people consider it significantly better than carbon / BHSE.

Definitely not. Very few Stax SRM-T2's were ever made, and it's such a complicated amp that few Stax fans DIY them and when they do, they sell for over $10k!

Also I am now officially back in the Stax club.

HxyrRpA.jpg

Don't get too excited though, that's just the regular SR-009 which we all know already.

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #15,499 of 25,558
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #15,502 of 25,558
You are most likely thinking of the Trilogy H1. According to internal photos and info, this is a all tube differential topology amplifier with no global feedback, using two 6C3pi single triode tubes and one 6H6pi dual triode output tube. Given that, the only possible topology is something like this:

TubeCAD has a similar circuit, which has been around since the 1980s, if not earlier.

Now, there is nothing wrong with that design, but it is the absolutely most minimal, cheap tube circuit design for driving stat headphones. I would liken it to the Dynaco Mk II, III, IV or Stereo 70 - that is, a simple but good budget circuit. In its day, the Stereo 70 cost about $140 assembled, which works out to around $1100 in today's money, and that is about what I would expect such a design to be worth. In fact, Schiit Audio at one point considered selling a similar design for less than $1000. Granted this doesn't include the cost of a remote control, but I doubt that the remote adds $4000 of value, and anyway, the notion that a headphone tied to an amp by an eight foot cord needs a remote seems rather silly to me.

Note that, looking at the internal photos, the Trilogy does not appear to have a regulated power supply, and it appears to use plate resistor output loads, so lacks any of the refinements of state of the art electrostatic amps designed since the 1990s. Given its technology, I would expect it to have about the same drive capability as any of Stax's tube output amps, which also use plate resistor loads, and lack the output drive capability of the Stax solid state amps, any of the Gilmore amps, or the SRX Plus.

In summary, the only thing state of the art about the Trilogy is its inflated price. IMHO, of course.

Thanks for your insight. It was over £5000 and if you say that they did not sink loads into R&D it does seem to be preying on the gullible. I have not read any reviews on it, does the industry press like it? One thing that they seem to have done is rolled off the high frequencies quite dramatically. It was as if they 'voiced' it for the 009 as it certainly took the edge off, but it also killed a lot of what made the 009 special, its shimmering lightness seemed to have been smothered. It was terrible by any measure with the 007. I honestly cannot think of any aspect that it did better than the SRM-007 energiser. And I did not see much use for a remote for a device that I am physically connected with a headphone cable.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #15,503 of 25,558
Strange thing going on im my mind now, having sold my Carbon to you and unable, for whatever reason

Having sold my Carbon in a moment of madness I think a Kerry T2 is the next level.
If you are having regrets then I would not hold you to the sale. If you are thinking of getting the T2 then I will be looking for an invitation.

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #15,504 of 25,558
If you are having regrets then I would not hold you to the sale. If you are thinking of getting the T2 then I will be looking for an invitation.
I salute your sense of honor, Sir!

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #15,505 of 25,558
You're a gentleman and looking forward to delivering the Carbon to you in person. Having agreed the sale I unplugged the amp from my system and returned to my HD 800's - absolutely no comparison. I can't seem to sell my 009's even at £1500.00 so if I don't get any offers in the foreseeable future I will contact Kerry in NYC and see if he's willing to build a T2 for me. IMHO his iteration is extremely beautiful to behold, but it will probably be a year in the making.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #15,506 of 25,558
My understanding is that Kerrys t2 is not just different in looks but is also updated vs the original design. I had heard that he updated it to current parts. Given the complexity of the amp I would not count on any ones willingness to take it on; especially since its filled with loads of obsolete parts. I would jump on a built one if i was in the market.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #15,507 of 25,558
My understanding is that Kerrys t2 is not just different in looks but is also updated vs the original design. I had heard that he updated it to current parts. Given the complexity of the amp I would not count on any ones willingness to take it on; especially since its filled with loads of obsolete parts. I would jump on a built one if i was in the market.
Kerry T2 is with newer parts, and he would take it on all day long

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #15,508 of 25,558
Kerry T2 is with newer parts, and he would take it on all day long
I was in touch with him last year after he had just completed his own T2, there were beautiful photos of it at the 'other' place. He is a charming person with which to deal and I'm sure I will be fine with him. I might just have to be patient which is fine.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #15,509 of 25,558
I was in touch with him last year after he had just completed his own T2, there were beautiful photos of it at the 'other' place. He is a charming person with which to deal and I'm sure I will be fine with him. I might just have to be patient which is fine.

Well, he is your best shot at the newer T2 which has current parts for if anything go wrong. If you want the original T2, then Contact @georgep . Either way, the wait will be very painful, and the price is about or higher than that T2 listed for sale. I would recommend grabbing it.

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #15,510 of 25,558
Thanks, you are right it was. I had been trying to remember but I just kept thinking Preparation H. That is why.

LMAO :ksc75smile:

Thanks for your insight. It was over £5000 and if you say that they did not sink loads into R&D it does seem to be preying on the gullible. I have not read any reviews on it, does the industry press like it? One thing that they seem to have done is rolled off the high frequencies quite dramatically. It was as if they 'voiced' it for the 009 as it certainly took the edge off, but it also killed a lot of what made the 009 special, its shimmering lightness seemed to have been smothered. It was terrible by any measure with the 007. I honestly cannot think of any aspect that it did better than the SRM-007 energiser. And I did not see much use for a remote for a device that I am physically connected with a headphone cable.

Well, according to the HiFI+ CanJam 2017 report, "Trilogy Audio always wanted to make an amplifier for the Stax electrostatic, but realised most designs simply use variations on the same circuit as Stax itself. After experimenting with such designs, Nic from Trilogy went fully Tabula Rasa and started with a completely clean sheet..." and "In listening tests, both AS and CM felt this is a paradigm shift in performance for the Stax SR-009."

As I said, given the description and tube complement, there is only one circuit topology that fits. Just amazing (NOT) that with a "completely clean sheet" they come up with a 30+ year old circuit design. I suppose it's possible they could have re-invented the budget wheel, but I would think that they would at least do a quick Google search. Does say something about the technical ignorance or gullibility of some of the audio press, though. BTW, astrostar59 did like it a bit more than you based on listening at CanJam London - see his comments in this thread from July 16, 2017 (see p.827).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back