The Stax SR-507 Thread
Feb 4, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #16 of 361
Curious about how the 507 compared to the regular old 404 I had. If it fixes the issues with the 404's mids then I'd be all for it.
The 404 was bright but certainly not dynamic bright as has been said. Stax stuff is generally close to neutral, though I've yet to hear something in all of headphones that's actually well and truly neutral.

less of a mids peak, better bass extension and no mids bass peak (507). 404 is far from neutral. 507 is closer and probably somewhat dark to some people.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 361
I have 407's that I made into Sigma's. I built them way beyond solid but they were a total failure. The new type drivers do not act anything like the old style. Maybe it is the fairly cheap plastic shell they have the drivers in or the thin aluminum plate that holds the driver in. They just sound far to boomy and has it's own sound. I'd imagine this would become noticeable if the cloth in front of the driver was temporally removed. Some day I will remove these drivers and epoxy them together like the old style and see if there is a good sound hidden.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #18 of 361
I'm now using the 600LTD with the 507 for more than a month, I think the amp is fully burnt-in. The 600LTD has replaced the 323S.
Differences between the amps are not huge, I prefer the 600 with chamber and vocal music, probably the 323 has more impact with symphonic. Cellos and other string instruments have a richer tone with the 600, but the 323 has a wider stage that may appeal some listeners.
In any case the 507s sound fabulous and I'm still extremely happy with them :)

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #23 of 361

Quote:
less of a mids peak, better bass extension and no mids bass peak (507). 404 is far from neutral. 507 is closer and probably somewhat dark to some people.

would love to hear the 507. i love the 404 for classical. it lacks the weight of dynamics but the clarity is just perfect for the genre and i generally prefer it over my HD650/800.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #26 of 361
I've had my 507's about a year now.    Tried them with a Woo energizer but am getting much better results with a 323S. 

Wonderful headphones for classical, rock, whatever.    So comfortable and such great sound.   Well worth they money. 

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #28 of 361

Quote:
realmassy, I'm about to purchase the 507's. For acoustic music would you go for the 600ltd or the 323? 

Pictures first!

The 323S, with Young and Palmer

And now the 600ltd, which is too big for my desk

As for the sound, it depends on the acoustic music: Bill Evans Trio or Mahler's 2nd Symphony?
Diana Krall or Mozart's Don Giovanni? Beethoven's Op. 127 or Tchaikovsky's Pathetique?
These are just some example of very different acoustic music, some of them will probably fit the 323S better than the 600ltd.
I listen mainly to chamber music and sacred music and I find the 600ltd to sound effortless, less aggressive and with natural low frequencies.

Treebug, you don't live that far from me, why don't you come to my place and listen to my system before committing to the purchase? I wish I had the opportunity to listen to the 600ltd/507 combo before buying the 323S

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #29 of 361
Is anybody using the 507 with an older T1?
That's what I have, going MC vinyl through a sorta home made preamp into the T1, and I love it! It's the best Stax I can afford! 
Compared to my HD800, neither sound better, just different. Different sound for a different day.
Further down the pecking order I have old SR5 which the T1 also has the 'normal' hole for, and I've heard these flog some pricier dynamics in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back